PDA

View Full Version : Fan/Exhaust heat

Skye
08-17-2012, 10:34 PM
I noticed that the fans/exhaust (aka the back of the laptop) were getting so hot when I play games is this bad?
I have a g53sx. Any idea how to help it cool? I am afraid it might burn out the gpu/cpu (dunno which one, but the one on the right is definitely hotter than the one on the left, but still both are heating up)

cl-scott
08-17-2012, 10:46 PM
It would be normal for the exhaust air to get warmer because the computer is working harder, so unfortunately without some specific temperature readings to go by, we're kind of limited to highly subjective measures. I would recommend starting with getting a temperature monitoring tool, and then you can give us some specifics to work off of. As a general rule, to kind of get you started, anything over about 65C is probably worth investigating. It's not necessarily a problem if it's higher, so don't freak out of you get 66-67C readings, but you have to set the bar somewhere.

Skye
08-17-2012, 10:58 PM
NVM
Downloaded HWMonitor.

Wil try to post results after a while. thanks.

cl-scott
08-17-2012, 11:06 PM
I'll be honest with you, I am not a big PC gamer, so I really am not the person to ask. I will let others make recommendations, and I'm sure with a little searching you could find some recommendations on your own.

While you're waiting, just make sure to do some of the usual things to keep laptops cool. Make sure you run it on a flat hard surface like a table. Make sure the vents are always clear of obstructions, and that there's a couple inches of clearance on all sides. I'd say 6 inches or about 15cm should be plenty. If it's kind of a hot day and you do not have any kind of air conditioning, then maybe it would be better to find something else to do.

Simple things like that will certainly help.

Skye
08-17-2012, 11:25 PM
After installing HWmonitor

CPU Core temps
Highest reached 75 C at max (not all)

For GPU
75 C (highest is 75 C as well)

*This is while playing Sleeping Dogs.

Matt Horvath
08-18-2012, 12:33 AM
I'm not sure about this game, but when I play Battlefield 3 my G73SW-A1 goes up to 80C... sometimes 85C. I live in Brazil, so it's mainly hot all year long ( right now we're in the middle of winter and the daily temps are around 30~35C. I haven't had any kind of problems so far, so you might be ok. Some ppl here says that they sometimes blow some air on the rear vents to prevent dust 'accumulation' (spelling?), so you might check something like that.

Skye
08-18-2012, 12:47 AM
Thank you Matt

Zygomorphic
08-18-2012, 01:28 AM
accumulation is the correct spelling - no worries anyway...a lot of us around here have trouble with the finer points of English...too heavily accented with the language of nerd. :cool:

Skye
08-18-2012, 02:19 AM
As of the last time i played, GPU temps topped at 75 C and plays around 73-75. CPU plays around 50-6x C

Is this fine?

Matt Horvath
08-18-2012, 06:49 PM
Thanks Skye and Zygomorphic, and yes Skye I think this is pretty normal... like cl-scott pointed out up there, the room temperature will play an role on the overall temperature of your system.

Skye
08-18-2012, 07:10 PM
crap. always 70+ xD and the right half of my keyboard is heating up as well wth xD

Typesh86
08-19-2012, 03:44 AM
You're fine. My G53sw get between 77-85c for the cpu and 85 max for the GPU while playing Battlefield 3 on ultra/high settings. My gpu vent get's pretty hot while gaming. The cpu vent doesnt get too hot. My keyboard doesnt ever get hot though.

Skye
08-19-2012, 12:52 PM
You're fine. My G53sw get between 77-85c for the cpu and 85 max for the GPU while playing Battlefield 3 on ultra/high settings. My gpu vent get's pretty hot while gaming. The cpu vent doesnt get too hot. My keyboard doesnt ever get hot though.

only the right part of the keyboard though. i wonder.

Matt Horvath
08-19-2012, 02:27 PM
I think I saw a video once that showed that the video card sits under the right side of the keyboard, thats why it gets hotter (both the keyboard and the air vent on the back). I would start worrying if the machine was getting unstable as it got hotter, but that doesn't seem to be the case now. Keep posting your thoughts so we can share some more info.

Just a note: I was editing some videos last night using Windows Live Movie Maker, and I noticed that the left side air vent got a lot hotter and the fan went to 100%, so my guess is that the right side is mainly for the CPU and the left side is for the GPU. I could be wrong tho.

Skye
08-19-2012, 05:42 PM
I think I saw a video once that showed that the video card sits under the right side of the keyboard, thats why it gets hotter (both the keyboard and the air vent on the back). I would start worrying if the machine was getting unstable as it got hotter, but that doesn't seem to be the case now. Keep posting your thoughts so we can share some more info.

Just a note: I was editing some videos last night using Windows Live Movie Maker, and I noticed that the left side air vent got a lot hotter and the fan went to 100%, so my guess is that the right side is mainly for the CPU and the left side is for the GPU. I could be wrong tho.

I was thinking about that as well. Well yeah, that may probably be it. Thanks for all you insights. Might as well repost when things get a little "bad". HOPEFULLY. Thanks again.

PS.
I sure do hope that when I play GW2 this won't be an issue. hahaha