PDA

View Full Version : Possible to swap covers?

bfradette
04-23-2011, 03:03 PM
This is not the most technical of questions, but is it possible to swap the outside covers of different g51 models? I had a g51v, with the white cover, and I loved the look, it reminded me of a stormtrooper. I have on the way to me now a g51jx-x1, with the blue cover. From the pics, I dont expect I will like it as much as the white one.

I sold the white one to partially fund the blue one, can I buy the white cover from somewhere, and apply it to the blue one?

xeromist
04-25-2011, 03:39 PM
The covers aren't really intended to be changed and you're going to have a tough time finding an alternate colored chassis in good condition. You'll have to take apart the entire laptop down to the motherboard to change it. You might be able to find a laptop on Ebay listed as "for parts" or "for repair" but you're probably going to pay for more than just the chassis.

Honestly, your best bet might be a vinyl cover from someone like skin-it. I'm not sure if there is one designed for ASUS laptops but I got one for my netbook and a lot of people mistake it for paint.

bfradette
04-26-2011, 12:20 AM
thanks.

For the outside cover, it would have to go down to the motherboard? Crap, that's a lot more than it is likely to be worth. Luckily I can get the skins where I work, and they are made to be computer printed with whatever I want on there, I'd just have to cut out the light areas. Thanks for the answer.

xeromist
04-26-2011, 01:39 AM
Well, the lid might be doable without taking everything to pieces but the internal components are anchored to the chasis. I personally don't think that it's worth it, but I've never opened a g51 so it could be easier than my experiences in the past.

Brian@ASUS
04-26-2011, 08:25 PM
the lid can be changed around but your skill set working with laptops needs to be quite advanced. you basically have to disassemble the LCD panel and swap the covers, but yes this is definitely possible. but again, its much easier to apply vinyl over.

bfradette
04-26-2011, 08:53 PM
Thanks Brian.

I am reasonably confident I can do that, if I can get ahold of the cover i like without having to ebay a whole g51v for it. Maybe Ill just look into the vinyl (wow that word doesn't look right no matter how I spell it), for now, and hold off on the difficult fix.

Brian@ASUS
04-26-2011, 11:04 PM
it might be possible to call in ASUS RMA and see if you can get a replacement cover and pay for it brand new?

bfradette
04-27-2011, 11:23 PM
Well, it arrived today, and Im still downloading and running benchmarks, etc, but the cover is MUCH nicer in person than the pics Ive seen. I like it worlds more than I thought I would.

Thanks for all the advice and help, though.

Brian@ASUS
04-28-2011, 12:18 AM
would be great if you did a guide on your install in the case mod section