PDA

View Full Version : G74SX Rubberized top problems

me29011993
08-21-2012, 09:52 AM
Hi

Does anyone with a G74Sx has problems with the top rubbercoating. With me it's just coming off.
I am even to scared to put him in to the backpack that you get with it, cause I think it will only make things wurse.

So let me now if you have the same problems,
Thx

Picture of what I mean:
http://i.imgur.com/Qs40D.jpg

Gorman
08-21-2012, 03:15 PM
My rubber coating is fine, but that same thing happened to my G9 mouse which is rubber coated.

RMA!

me29011993
08-21-2012, 09:38 PM
I did RMA'd it, and Asus just said they couldn't do anything, and that they tested it and it was fine, of course it was fine there was nothing wrong with the hardware, idiots (I thought) and they also said that it was out of warranty. Don't think they can calculate, cause I bought it around a year ago and it has 2 years waranty so....

Gorman
08-22-2012, 12:24 AM
Shout at them more.

"It's fine" and "it's out of warranty" are standard ASUS support responses. You have to make them do work or they will just push you around.

me29011993
08-23-2012, 10:47 AM
What do you recommend I should do, cause now they say I contacted them to late, not within 48 hours, when obviously 20/8/2012 to 21/8/2012 is not 48 hours, so....

Boosted_R
08-24-2012, 03:25 AM
the coating seems to be a hit or miss..... i have 2 places (few mm in size) on my laptop that has missing rubberized coating missing. It seems edges don't agree with the coating on the screen..... these are spots that would never see anything rubbing on it ...... the palm rest area must be a lot thicker since its seen a ton of wear and still perfect...... I would be surprised if ASUS covered it, its more cosmetic and doesn't affect performance......... PM mason, see what he says..GL

Carvs
08-24-2012, 03:43 AM
Literally thought it was my own g74 pictured.

I have the exact same problem.

My solution? Get some vinyl and wrap the computer :)

Gorman
08-24-2012, 07:17 AM
Why wouldn't they cover it? The warranty states the product should be free of defects and manufacturing faults, this is clearly a problem of some kind.

Don't let ASUS push you around, if your laptop is peeling before the warranty is even up, that is really bad...

me29011993
08-24-2012, 02:12 PM
They sent me a mail now, saying to send more pictures of it, so we'll do and I'll post the outcome here.

Btw: I thought of the vinyl too but when it's still in waranty, i'm not going to that then.

chrsplmr
08-24-2012, 02:15 PM
The good news is : What ? It runs perfectly ? Cool.
Come on now. It is laminate. Normal wear from 'in and out' of a backpack is going to, no matter how
carful you are, wear the edges. Once an edge is loose .. it is only time til the peel starts ..
This is not a defect, it is an effect, of use.

There are many skins on the market, including black rubber .. some with the logo.
Id re-cover it.. just 'my' opinion. Not argu'n.

Edit to above: Hey if they repair it under warranty - Bonus. and just Cudos to Asus, 'if they do'.
Cant have you out there lov'n your G look'n like that .. they will think if they buy a
G, this will happen to them too .. wise re-investment by Asus.

Edit to below: Really ? Never ? and its delaminated like that ? Asus?
Best of Luck on this friend.c.

me29011993
08-24-2012, 02:19 PM
But it has never been in the backpack, I don't dare to do that cause I know it will just get worse.

me29011993
08-25-2012, 09:40 AM
Got some pictures for you of how Asus sends it stuff back to you.

How I packed it to ship to Asus:
http://i.imgur.com/w5Kfl.jpg

How they ship it back:
http://i.imgur.com/WjR34.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ZIFtF.jpg

Haven't heard back from Asus yet, I hope the send an email this afternoon.

Gorman
08-25-2012, 01:13 PM
The good news is : What ? It runs perfectly ? Cool.
Come on now. It is laminate. Normal wear from 'in and out' of a backpack is going to, no matter how
carful you are, wear the edges. Once an edge is loose .. it is only time til the peel starts ..
This is not a defect, it is an effect, of use.

There are many skins on the market, including black rubber .. some with the logo.
Id re-cover it.. just 'my' opinion. Not argu'n.
You shouldn't need to recover it, a product should at least live to the end of it's warranty period before literally falling apart!

Maybe it's a problem when even the most optimistic member of the forum says "at least it runs fine"... It should be perfect and not be falling apart!

> Part X has broken? But apart from that it runs fine?
> There are many aftermarket part X available, including some similar to the one that broke
> I'd just fix it myself
But why even have warranty if you just DIY...

How I packed it to ship to Asus:

How they ship it back:
Haha, yup, that's ASUS support for you!

At least this time they were just lazy and incompetent rather than actually malicious!

Symho
08-25-2012, 04:49 PM
You shouldn't need to recover it, a product should at least live to the end of it's warranty period before literally falling apart!

Maybe it's a problem when even the most optimistic member of the forum says "at least it runs fine"... It should be perfect and not be falling apart!

> Part X has broken? But apart from that it runs fine?
> There are many aftermarket part X available, including some similar to the one that broke
> I'd just fix it myself
But why even have warranty if you just DIY...

Haha, yup, that's ASUS support for you

At least this time they were just lazy and incompetent rather than actually malicious!

Hi! Well I have the same problem with the mouse MX518 ROG included in the bundle of the G74Sx. Asus had answer me that this problem it is not recognized by warranty!?!? Ridicoulous! I had 3 RMA with this notebook, and 3 ticket too! I will never buy other ASUS's products! Also many people have problem with them and they are indifferent, well I want see their sales next year! I repeat: RIDICOULOUS!!!

me29011993
08-25-2012, 05:21 PM
They have good products and I will still buy them (i have a maximus v formula and a 670 DC2T), but when I do, I mf hope it's not broken. Cause then you are in deep ****!

Gorman
08-25-2012, 05:24 PM
That's crazy! They seem to imply that they have a list of faults that they are willing to fix - or at the least they have a list of faults that they refuse to fix!

I think 'ridiculous' is definitely the best choice of words!

fostert
08-25-2012, 06:22 PM
My G74 has been stuffed in and out of my G73 backpack (which is a very tight fit for a G74) nearly daily since I got the beast in October last year, and the rubber coating is still immaculate. I would look hard at how you are using it for other sources of unusually high wear.

me29011993
08-25-2012, 08:11 PM
Dude, I will never abuse a notebook that had cost me more than 1700 euros. I have always taken good care of it. If you knew me you would know i would.

me29011993
08-31-2012, 02:01 PM
So Asus contacted me again, saying that they will not repair it under waranty (so 2 years of waranty is actually like 10-11 months since my laptop is I think from september 2011) but I can send him to them but it will not be free.
So f*** it, I'm going to Carbon rap the thing, unless I can sell it. Haha, Viva la Asus, and their awesome service (sarcastic for those who didn't get it)

Gorman
08-31-2012, 04:18 PM
Did they give an excuse for refusing to honor their warranty? Or did they just flat out say "no"?

Carbon wrap sounds sexy as **** though. Perhaps a consider sandblast? Might be nice. If you are feeling adventurous then Japanese syle lacquer would be super sexy.

me29011993
08-31-2012, 04:24 PM
No they just said it was out of waranty, which obviously isn't but I'm thinking of doing it in White Carbon, so it will fit my white 800Destroyer

Symho
08-31-2012, 05:24 PM
So Asus contacted me again, saying that they will not repair it under waranty (so 2 years of waranty is actually like 10-11 months since my laptop is I think from september 2011) but I can send him to them but it will not be free.
So f*** it, I'm going to Carbon rap the thing, unless I can sell it. Haha, Viva la Asus, and their awesome service (sarcastic for those who didn't get it)

"They have good products and I will still buy them (i have a maximus v formula and a 670 DC2T), but when I do, I mf hope it's not broken. Cause then you are in deep ****! "

Do you remeber? ;)

Symho
08-31-2012, 05:26 PM
"They have good products and I will still buy them (i have a maximus v formula and a 670 DC2T), but when I do, I mf hope it's not broken. Cause then you are in deep ****! "

Do you remeber? ;)

I think ASUS want to fail!

me29011993
08-31-2012, 05:26 PM
Yes, adn I still am, i didn't say anything different.

fostert
09-02-2012, 04:41 AM
I recall reading a while ago that the rubberized coating ASUS puts on the G series is a spray-on type. With some looking you may be able to get a nearly identical substitute rubber spray and DIY...or paint the surface black and put an overcoat of RTV (room temperature vulcanizing) silicon on top.

Boosted_R
09-02-2012, 05:08 AM
If you guys are looking for a rubber spray, try Plasti Dip

fostert
09-03-2012, 12:48 AM
Plasti Dip looks good, yes. The rubber coat on the G74 should sand off nicely, and take a new coat of this or black paint with silicon overcoat.