PDA

View Full Version : G75 Webcam Issue

ASI-Fox7
08-21-2012, 06:27 PM
First off, thanks for taking a look into a problem I'm having. I'll try and walk you through the steps I've done to get to this point. Secondly, I'm very savoy when it comes to workarounds, and problem solving, which is now why I've chosen to hit the forums.

I purchased the G75VW from Bestbuy with the intention of installing a Intel SSD as the primary, and moving the 1TB HDD to the slave position. First thing I did when got the laptop was create ASUS's recovery CD's, Windows Recovery CD, and did an overall snapshot on the systems layout.

Then I proceeded to transition over to the SSD. I first tried to Migrate the OS and files over via Intel's software and ran into the partition issues, so I tried third party migration software, no luck. It would have made things a little easier, but I ended up skipping the step, removed the HDD, and installed the SSD as primary, hit BIOS up for boot to CD, and began the installation process.

After Windows/ASUS did it's thing "Factory Installation" I then proceeded to install the HDD and format it via Command Prompt. At this point I had the OS on the Intel SSD, and the 1TB as a Secondary (Slave). Everything works, all software, ASUS Software, Propitiatory Drivers, Etc.

Here in lays the problem though, Windows doesn't see the Webcam (Device Manager/CIO Interface/Computer Tech Mapping), and ASUS programs say it's disabled (Lifeframe), I've been to the ASUS support site, rebuilt twice, and tried their "Downloads" which doesn't activate, nor install a driver for the webcam. There's nothing in BOIS, or P4G that disables it.

For lack of better terms, the webcam just doesn't exist, but yet I'm looking at it.. Any Ideas? I really don't want to RMA this thing out, it'll never come back the same.

xeromist
08-21-2012, 06:52 PM
I'm thinking that maybe it's in a different section of the device manager because it has an incorrect generic driver installed? Was that where it was on the spinning drive? I don't suppose you have any unidentified devices though, right?

ASI-Fox7
08-21-2012, 07:04 PM
I'm thinking that maybe it's in a different section of the device manager because it has an incorrect generic driver installed? Was that where it was on the spinning drive? I don't suppose you have any unidentified devices though, right?

Nope, I've scoured the Device Manager, WIN-SysInfo, and even looked in Run:MSConfig to see if it had a string, or syntax code. There are no "Unidentified Devices" either.

On a side note, these stupid CAPCHA's are a pain..

c_man
08-21-2012, 07:08 PM
They will be gone once you have a few posts.

On topic, I would try to find a WIndows version on Internet and use the serial from Asus with that. A lot of people went this way since restore had many problems. I did a clean install from the start.

It's very hard for us to guess were the problem might be.

xeromist
08-21-2012, 07:20 PM
That's a good point. If you get an OEM ISO from Digital River you can control what you install so that might give you a better shot at licking this. Just make sure you have a way of getting the wireless driver or already have it downloaded so you aren't stuck without a connection.

BTW, I don't suppose the original drive still has a working installation, does it? I'd be interested to see if the webcam still works normally under that install because it would immediately tell you if it's a hardware or a software issue.

ASI-Fox7
08-21-2012, 07:38 PM
Everything worked before I went the SSD route, I went through a battery of tests so as to not waste my time if there was an issue, I could just return it to the retailer (Best Buy). On the OEM side of things, it won't due me any good if I don't know the Manufacturer and Model to the webcam to install the right drivers will it? That's one issue I'm running into, no one can tell me who/what/where to find that info. It's all wrapped into ASUS's programs, which state they don't contain the Driver

From ASUS Support: ASUS Virtual Camera Utility (The Camera driver must be installed.) 1,99 (MBytes) 2012.03.02 update

But where's the driver? Not on their site, and I've still yet to hear an answer from someone ASUS. All the phone techs school me through the vast amount of "Already did that" boredom, and not to mention, they don't speak English very well.. I just wish ASUS customer service was a problem solving entity, instead of a generic pipeline walk through.

If anyone out there can run down the driver files and .DLL's and Zip them for me I'd be grateful. And or point be to the MANU of the camera.

xeromist
08-21-2012, 08:45 PM
If I had to guess (and I do since I don't own a 5 series) I'd say that the camera is generic and should be installed by Windows automatically. I don't think there is anything specific you are supposed to install. That's why I'm wondering if maybe the order that things are installed matters and somehow the restore is not doing what it should.

dstrakele
08-21-2012, 09:47 PM
The Webcam is a USB device. Did you install the Intel Chipset driver to your Windows installation?

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?11541-G74SX-Disabled-Webcam-amp-Blueray-player indicates the webcam can be disabled in Power4Gear profiles on G74SX systems. Are you certain that isn't what has happened on your G75?

Techinstein
08-21-2012, 10:16 PM
I had this problem to you have to download ASUS Life Frame Well the problem with the Best buy version with out ssd so there is no camera software that comes with it you have to download ASUS Life Frame I well post link in another post below and on your wall so you can download it. I had same problem where I was trying to figure out why the webcam didnt work. My System G75VW-BBK5.

Techinstein
08-21-2012, 10:18 PM
Here is my thread with the link.
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?21054-G75-Webcam-Issue&country=&status=

ASI-Fox7
08-21-2012, 10:31 PM
Here is my thread with the link.
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?21054-G75-Webcam-Issue&country=&status=

EDIT: Your link is my thread, it takes me back here.

I updated the Intel Chipset, and did the LifeFrame for the 3rd time.

No change.

ASI-Fox7
08-22-2012, 05:14 AM
Bump.. @ASUS Maybe?

c_man
08-22-2012, 06:41 AM
That link is this thread.

ASI-Fox7
08-22-2012, 06:53 AM
Yeah, I searched his forums postings and found the one I'm sure he was referring to, and I've messed with that program enough (LifeFrame Utility) to know it doesn't solve my issue.

Still waiting for a @ASUS to come across this post... Maybe... I really shouldn't have to PM these guys, isn't this there sole purpose? To aid, and remedy problems? *Sigh*

c_man
08-22-2012, 10:30 AM
From my own experience, these restore solutions are crap most of the times. I have tried most manufacturers by now. Just do a clean install.

ASI-Fox7
08-22-2012, 06:09 PM
From my own experience, these restore solutions are crap most of the times. I have tried most manufacturers by now. Just do a clean install.

Do you know of a place where I can download all of the required drivers in one place/file, as apposed to downloading them one by one from the ASUS Support page? Might make things a little easier, and help for future rebuilds. If not, it's not a problem, I appreciate the efforts though.

xeromist
08-22-2012, 06:19 PM
Still waiting for a @ASUS to come across this post... Maybe... I really shouldn't have to PM these guys, isn't this there sole purpose? To aid, and remedy problems? *Sigh*

Nah, there are no ASUS people assigned to the forum full time. They all have other full time responsibilities. Richard has been trying to get more help for problems but this forum was originally set up as a community discussion forum and it still is for the most part. FWIW, the official support channels are still phone, email, live chat.

c_man
08-22-2012, 06:34 PM
Do you know of a place where I can download all of the required drivers in one place/file, as apposed to downloading them one by one from the ASUS Support page? Might make things a little easier, and help for future rebuilds. If not, it's not a problem, I appreciate the efforts though.

This topic http://forums.pctweakers.net/showthread.php/129-ASUS-G75VW-Clean-Install-Guide is as good as it gets.

Noiroi
08-24-2012, 06:01 AM
EDIT: Your link is my thread, it takes me back here.

I updated the Intel Chipset, and did the LifeFrame for the 3rd time.

No change.

I received a response from ASUS after explaining to them that LifeFrame states that my camera is disabled. The response I received is as follows:

Dear valued customer,

Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.

Please update the Life Frame3 Utility for a try.
Version V3.1.3
http://support.asus.com.cn/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&s=110&m=LifeFrame3&os=30&ft=14&f_name=LifeFrame3_Win7_64_Z313.zip#LifeFrame3_Win7 _64_Z313.zip

If still, please reinstall the camera driver for a try.
Right click "computer"->manage->device manager->image devices->right click the webcam device->update driver software->search for the drivers automatically. Then the system will search for updated driver for your laptop and then download to install automatically.

I'm looking at your screen shots and noticed that you also do not have anything in your Device Manager that says "image devices". I've been dealing with this problem for months now and it's rather annoying. I'm at the point that I'm going to purchase a camera.

I have responded to their email stating that the above install didn't fix anything... even after a reboot. I'll be happy to share their response.

ASI-Fox7
08-24-2012, 08:34 AM
I received a response from ASUS after explaining to them that LifeFrame states that my camera is disabled. The response I received is as follows:

I'm looking at your screen shots and noticed that you also do not have anything in your Device Manager that says "image devices". I've been dealing with this problem for months now and it's rather annoying. I'm at the point that I'm going to purchase a camera.

I have responded to their email stating that the above install didn't fix anything... even after a reboot. I'll be happy to share their response.

WAIT!! Don't buy a camera! Try this!... So after getting VERY mad, rebuilding numreous times, I did this.. I hope this works for you, because mine's working now lol..

Ok.. Open Device Manager, and I want you to squeeze the camera area of the laptop, yes I said squeeze it.. I smacked mine, and the prompt popped up saying installing drivers for new hardware, within 10 seconds, it populated under device manager lol.. So the reason I say open Task Manager, is the reaction afterwards that I had was priceless.. Brute force and electronics do work together lol.. Hope it works for you!

Wolffie80
08-24-2012, 09:21 AM
Will support the mentions above about doing a clean install :)
Sets you up with no bloatware and only programs you want. Might also fix your problem^^

ASI-Fox7
08-24-2012, 01:11 PM
Will support the mentions above about doing a clean install :)
Sets you up with no bloatware and only programs you want. Might also fix your problem^^

Did that, twice. Once with a OEM Windows 7 Home Premium x64, and once with a OEM Win7HPx64 without Service Pack. Not to mention the 2 times I used ASUS Recovery. Right now I'm running the "Rebuilt using Windows 7 Home Premium OEM (Digital River) w/o Service Pack 1 (Though Updated), Fully Installed Drivers" Setup... It was only then did I smack my webcam after installing Steam.. When I smacked it-it came alive lol.. There must be something loose in there, or a bad connection, either case, it works now. At least now I have a Archive of G75VW Drivers and Media to restore it with OEM/Driver files. *Sigh*

Kinda needed the webcam for Deployment, wife would have been pissed, plus I didn't want to RMA it, wouldn't have got back before my plane left.

xeromist
08-24-2012, 03:26 PM
After you return from deployment you might want to RMA it anyway since the loose connection might get worse over time. Glad to hear it's working now though.

Noiroi
08-25-2012, 12:42 PM
WAIT!! Don't buy a camera! Try this!... So after getting VERY mad, rebuilding numreous times, I did this.. I hope this works for you, because mine's working now lol..

Ok.. Open Device Manager, and I want you to squeeze the camera area of the laptop, yes I said squeeze it.. I smacked mine, and the prompt popped up saying installing drivers for new hardware, within 10 seconds, it populated under device manager lol.. So the reason I say open Task Manager, is the reaction afterwards that I had was priceless.. Brute force and electronics do work together lol.. Hope it works for you!

Really... I can't stop laughing. I'm glad it worked for you. I must admit that I've been tempted many times to put my machine in a submission hold, have it swan dive from the third floor, front snap kick, two left jabs followed by a right cross and a few other moves I won't mention for fear of it voiding my warranty.

I've had nothing but problems with this machine from the USB ports flaking out, sound quality and now the camera... oh, did I mention this is my second G75VW-BBK? Yeah... second one, and I'm 45 days outside my 30 day return. The first time I sent it in for repairs, it took F O R E V E R through the Geek Squad (truly an insult to the true geeks). I can't imagine sending it in for RMA when all my work is on the machine... yeah, not happening.

I'll keep hoping that the camera decides to work some time in the future... until then, I'm going to purchase a Logitech camera. I may smack it nonetheless... maybe.

Thanks for sharing.

nareetik
08-25-2012, 12:43 PM
|Всем привет

Noiroi
08-25-2012, 12:53 PM
|Всем привет

Утро. К сожалению, мой русский примерно так же хорошо, как мои навыки поиска неисправностей в отношении фиксации камеры. Таким образом, я должен полагаться на Google Translate, чтобы делать тяжелую работу для меня. Я могу только изображение, как это необходимо прочитать для тех, кто не знает языка. Это неудобно и некрасиво. У меня есть просьба о Вас и всех будущих русский динамиков ... пожалуйста, напишите на английском языке. Таким образом, я не должен выглядеть (звук), как осел, пытаясь ответить. Merci!

ssacesar
11-01-2012, 01:59 AM
First off, thanks for taking a look into a problem I'm having. I'll try and walk you through the steps I've done to get to this point. Secondly, I'm very savoy when it comes to workarounds, and problem solving, which is now why I've chosen to hit the forums.

I purchased the G75VW from Bestbuy with the intention of installing a Intel SSD as the primary, and moving the 1TB HDD to the slave position. First thing I did when got the laptop was create ASUS's recovery CD's, Windows Recovery CD, and did an overall snapshot on the systems layout.

Then I proceeded to transition over to the SSD. I first tried to Migrate the OS and files over via Intel's software and ran into the partition issues, so I tried third party migration software, no luck. It would have made things a little easier, but I ended up skipping the step, removed the HDD, and installed the SSD as primary, hit BIOS up for boot to CD, and began the installation process.

After Windows/ASUS did it's thing "Factory Installation" I then proceeded to install the HDD and format it via Command Prompt. At this point I had the OS on the Intel SSD, and the 1TB as a Secondary (Slave). Everything works, all software, ASUS Software, Propitiatory Drivers, Etc.

Here in lays the problem though, Windows doesn't see the Webcam (Device Manager/CIO Interface/Computer Tech Mapping), and ASUS programs say it's disabled (Lifeframe), I've been to the ASUS support site, rebuilt twice, and tried their "Downloads" which doesn't activate, nor install a driver for the webcam. There's nothing in BOIS, or P4G that disables it.

For lack of better terms, the webcam just doesn't exist, but yet I'm looking at it.. Any Ideas? I really don't want to RMA this thing out, it'll never come back the same.

HELLO ... I WAS WITH THAT EVEN AFTER SO MUCH MORE POBLEMA those searching RESOLVE NOT REMOVE THE ANSWER G75VW, AFTER 4 DAYS OF PURCHASE, THE WARRANTY REPAIR did not cover, BECAUSE THE G75 WAS PURCHASED IN THE USA BestBuy, AND I'M IN BRAZIL. SO COME ON.
DEFECT THAT IT COMES FROM CAPE FLET WEBCAM, rejoicing always BOLTS OF PART OF THE G75 BRINGS A WEBCAM BACK INTO OPERATION, MUST BE SOME Soquet PRESIONADO FOR ANY PART OF THE CRANKCASE G75 ... TEMTE OR THAT THEN TAKE TO CHANGE THAT IN STORE BOUGHT OR TECHNICAL .... OK

SORY NO INGLES == TRANSLATE GOOGLE .....

tkolarik
11-02-2012, 04:25 AM
The Best Buy webcam is much lower resolution than the rest of the G75 family. I couldn't figure mine out either so i ran Skype and it was working, although it is a terrible webcam.

ssacesar
11-02-2012, 07:59 PM
The Best Buy webcam is much lower resolution than the rest of the G75 family. I couldn't figure mine out either so i ran Skype and it was working, although it is a terrible webcam.

hello. I had a sony vaio webcam was horrible the webcam and the G75 much better.

again the error is not the driver. so is the cable that flet be defective, yesterday opened the rear of the cable shifted and now she's 100% working.