PDA

View Full Version : Strange lag/freeze on the G53JW.

Miqboi
04-25-2011, 10:08 AM
I've asked around on some different forums about this problem, and tried some different methods to get rid of it but it's still here :(

Every now and then, more often when I play games, my laptop freezes. The freeze only lasts about 1-2 seconds, but it's really annoying when happening every 10th seconds when I'm playing.

I have read about some other guys that also had the same problems as me, and they came up with some different fixes, I tried them all but nothing worked for me.

I have:
- Upgraded the firmware on my HDD.
- Turned the APM off on my HDD.
- Did some stuff in REGEDIT, can't remember what it was called tho :(

Anyone else had the same problem, and actually find a way to fix it?

xeromist
04-25-2011, 04:36 PM
Is this an online game? If so you could try disabling wireless and using only a wired connection. Sometimes people have strange problems with wireless.

Miqboi
04-26-2011, 04:33 AM
It is an online game, but it happens when playing offline aswell. Have tried disabling the wireless connection and using wired, but the same freezes happened then aswell :(

xeromist
04-26-2011, 04:11 PM
One thing that I would do is just open the task manager ctrl+alt+del and go to the processes tab. Watch and see if any process spikes CPU usage periodically. It doesn't even have to read 100% but if it's a high priority process that bumps other things it can cause things to appear to freeze.

Other than that I would disable as much as you can from running on startup in case it is something you have installed. If you type msconfig in the run box from the start menu you will get a screen where you can uncheck things running on startup.

Immortalis
05-07-2011, 10:42 AM
I've been having the same problem - typically i notice it more when my screen has to render a lot of things at once. For instance if I'm playing a game and I open up something that brings up a bunch of windows within the game, I always get a nice 2s freeze.

Ive done an uninstall and re-install of display drivers, and tried various other things with no luck. It's frustrating.

Chastity@ASUS
05-07-2011, 11:57 AM
Update your Intel INF with "setup.exe -overall" commandline, update Realtek Audio drivers (2.60 latest)

Error2k
05-11-2011, 10:20 AM
I found this on the interwebs.

Duckdown! I finally finally fixed the real issue here, I had initially thought it was Windows update/Google Chrome but its not!
Start menu, msconfig, startup

UNCHECK Smnt6000 or something like that, I don't know what it is but it's there on a fresh install and is 100% guaranteed to be the problem. Hit apply, then OK and reboot PC. (You can uncheck a lot of other crap on there too, feel free to start unchecking!)

I just barely noticed your post and hope you do indeed see this. I spent hours and days in frustration over this and if I can relieve someone else of their stress from this issue, I would be thrilled.

My girlfriend has the same issue and is completely devestated by it. If you try it let me know how it goes.

psy0nid3
05-24-2011, 11:39 PM
having this same issue. I have updated everything and i do mean everything from chastity's page and still no fix. My comp has been back and forth to best buy 4 times now to no avail although i dont think half of them know what there doing IMO ...plz someone help with this issue

same as above 1-2second pauses/freezes every 4 to 5 sec. not game breaking but annoying as hell ive been searching these pages for prolly 2 months now and have tried everything to get rid of it to no avail PLZ someone tell me how to fix this lol

mine is the g73jh though only diff.

Error2k
07-04-2011, 03:55 PM
I still had no luck with my girlfriends laptop. It still does the same thing. Has anyone ever contacted Asus about this issue?

RenanMoura
07-04-2011, 05:36 PM
I have a similiar problem, but mine freezes and doesnt come back. After it, I have to make a manual restart. Ive tried a lot of things but nothing worked.

Chastity@ASUS
07-05-2011, 01:09 AM
In some of the other threads here and other forums, some have narrowed it down to some recent Visual C++ updates from Windows Update. You can try uninstalling them and see if the issue goes away.

Another chap found it was his antivirus lagging his game. :)

laydown
09-12-2011, 11:00 AM
Any update to this? Still having the same problem!

Chastity@ASUS
09-12-2011, 07:07 PM
Seeing you are new to this thread, what have you done so far?

laydown
09-13-2011, 11:42 AM
Thx for the replay! I've tried all of those suggestion in this thread. Nothing really helps, updated every single driver, nothing wrong with my internet. I have a program which says that the cpu is overheating though when say i play world of warcraft. It gets around 55-60, which doesnt sound like to much tbh.

I don't know if the ppl in this thread solved their issue, but i honestly don't know what to do anymore. Any suggestions?

Zackarak
09-13-2011, 11:57 AM
I have this problem as well on my G74SX. When I play Starcraft 2 I get some stuttering sometimes. I play on lowest possible settings.
I've tried throttlestop, different nvidia gpu drivers, lastest chipset drivers, latest sound drivers, disable apm for HDD. I do not have stuttering in most of my other games though.

I had no stuttering with my G73SW.

Chastity@ASUS
09-13-2011, 05:31 PM
The stutter can be loading lag. I wish the G74SX came with Momentus XT's.

Zackarak
09-13-2011, 05:50 PM
The stutter can be loading lag. I wish the G74SX came with Momentus XT's.

Maybe. My G74SX came with 2x 7200 rpm HDDs

fountainhead
12-11-2011, 10:01 PM
I know this is kind of an old thread but I think I might be having the same problem on my G74SX-BBK8. For all the others with this problem, did any of you notice if the freeze tends to come right before your game is loading a sound or dialogue? In my case, I've observed it in Mass Effect, Modern Warfare 1 and I think also in Crysis. Metro 2033, an even more demanding game, runs fine. Framerate in all the games is good and so are the temperatures.

In Mass Effect and Modern Warfare, what happens is when the game is loading a sentence of spoken dialogue, it pauses for maybe half a second, as if it has to take time to load the sound, and then when the dialogue is spoken, the first word or so is cut off. In Crysis, the same effect seems to be triggered by sound effects. I'm out of ideas.

Here's everything I've tried so far:

Fresh install of Windows
Different video and audio driver versions (I've done this ad nauseum, seriously)
Disabling CPU core parking
Disabling CPU throttling
Disabling Intel Turboboost
Disabling all background programs and services
Installing Intel Rapid Storage Technology application
XP SP3 compatibility mode
Defragging the game and hard drive
Verifying game files in Steam
Setting max pre-rendered frames to 0 in Nvidia control panel
Disabling power management for hard drives
Playing with all settings in the Realtek HD Audio Manager

Is that simply the way things are with our hardware? I know the hard drives and Realtek sound aren't the best things out there... Thanks in advance!

tkd_ron
12-11-2011, 10:18 PM
I am also having the same problem,with modern warfare 1 being the worst and I have tried all o fthe things mentioned and to no avail..realy frustrating,not all games do it just mainly modern warefare.

mikaojje
12-13-2011, 06:49 PM
Im also having the same problem.. So annoying. I believe whats causing it is the hardrive.. Momentus XT. Everything lagged at first.. now some games work but not all. Probably depending where on the harddrive the games is placed.. On the actual disk or on the SSD. Tried upgrade firmware but with no luck.. could anyone with this problem install a game that they know is lagging on a flashmemory.. If its the harddrive, the lagg should disapear. I did this and the game worked smooth. Could anyone try this aswell?

fountainhead
12-13-2011, 07:17 PM
I believe whats causing it is the hardrive.. Momentus XT.

I'm not sure it's related to the Momentus XT specifically, since my drive is a regular SATA Momentus. But it does seem to be related to hard drives in general because the drive light activates when the pauses occur in games. But, is there anything we need to actually install or configure for the drives to work correctly? I already defragged and did a chkdsk, which didn't help.

One argument against it being hard drive related, though, is that the pauses only seem to occur when it's sound or dialogue that's being loaded. There's the usual stuttering from loading maps and textures, but they don't actually freeze the game for one second like the sound does. So, could it be a combination of Realtek/Windows 7 sound incompatibility with older games? I don't seem to have any problem with games made after 2008 so far.

fountainhead
12-15-2011, 03:09 PM
Ok guys, I think I've nailed the problem. It's the hard drive. I did an experiment by copying my games (COD4 and Mass Effect) over to an external USB flash drive and ran them from there. Load times were a bit longer, as expected, but the 'pausing' issue was gone from both games.

Now the question is what is wrong with my SATA drives? I've defragged them and ran chkdsk. I've tried setting them to both IDE and AHCI mode in the BIOS. And I installed the chipset driver and Rapid Storage Technology driver from Intel. Perhaps I didn't install them correctly? For the chipset I added the "-overall" switch and for IRST I just ran the executable. Any ideas?

dstrakele
12-15-2011, 05:33 PM
Interesting information, fountainhead! http://forums.seagate.com/t5/Momentus-XT-Momentus-Momentus/Momentus-XT-APM-spindown-feature-causes-quot-lag-spikes-quot-in/td-p/55656 discusses a similar lag issue with the Momentus XT. One user works around the problem by using Crystal Disk to disable AAM/APM on the drive. Unfortunately, this workaround must be implemented on each boot.

Have you installed the latest firmware to your Momentus XT drive?

fountainhead
12-15-2011, 07:25 PM
Interesting information, fountainhead! http://forums.seagate.com/t5/Momentus-XT-Momentus-Momentus/Momentus-XT-APM-spindown-feature-causes-quot-lag-spikes-quot-in/td-p/55656 discusses a similar lag issue with the Momentus XT. One user works around the problem by using Crystal Disk to disable AAM/APM on the drive. Unfortunately, this workaround must be implemented on each boot.

Have you installed the latest firmware to your Momentus XT drive?

Thanks for the link. I may have to try something like that if my reinstalling the chipset and IRST drivers doesn't work. So far there's no firmware update for my drive (http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?name=st9500423as-momentus-7200.4-sata-500-gb-hd&vgnextoid=29c1e18c16c33310VgnVCM1000001a48090aRCRD&vgnextchannel=f424072516d8c010VgnVCM100000dd04090a RCRD&locale=en-US&reqPage=Support).

dstrakele
12-15-2011, 07:33 PM
You may want to monitor the referenced Seagate forum and even post your issue there.

fountainhead
12-19-2011, 02:46 PM

Yep, turns out the APM was the problem. I knew it. All these stupid 'green' features are screwing up performance! But thanks once again for linking me to that thread because the CrystalDisk solution is what I need to use.