PDA

View Full Version : First time Laptop Owner

Dakota822
08-22-2012, 09:18 PM
I just got the G55vw 2 days ago and so far I must say I love it. But today iv'e encountered some problems. FIrst I was looking for a way to delete Asus Live Updater because I heard you can't get rid of it by just un-installing it so that lead me to this website EDIT: Link deleted.

I was linked to it in an article about how to remove it, and it was going smoothly until I saw that it installed the Babylon toolbar and default browser. After an hour of messing with that trying to get rid of it I think I finally managed to get rid of it completely. I removed it from the search engines and un-installed everything that had Babylon in it in my programs. So far it's been gone but did I do enough to completely get rid of it or is it still lurking on my computer somewhere?

Also, does anyone know what bloatware I should remove? I'd like my laptop to run as fast and smoothly as possible and I don't want anything to hold it up.

Apexing
08-22-2012, 09:22 PM
You really should just have removed it from the windows uninstall menu :) it works fine.
did yours have mcafee antivirus installed? if it did, think about uninstalling it and get a different program, I just use the windows antivirus program.

ASI-Fox7
08-22-2012, 09:40 PM
I just got the G55vw 2 days ago and so far I must say I love it. But today iv'e encountered some problems. FIrst I was looking for a way to delete Asus Live Updater because I heard you can't get rid of it by just un-installing it so that lead me to this website http://www.securitystronghold.com/gates/asus-live-update.html

I was linked to it in an article about how to remove it, and it was going smoothly until I saw that it installed the Babylon toolbar and default browser. After an hour of messing with that trying to get rid of it I think I finally managed to get rid of it completely. I removed it from the search engines and un-installed everything that had Babylon in it in my programs. So far it's been gone but did I do enough to completely get rid of it or is it still lurking on my computer somewhere?

Also, does anyone know what bloatware I should remove? I'd like my laptop to run as fast and smoothly as possible and I don't want anything to hold it up.

I Just wrote it, so take a look, and you'll be able to control how, and what starts up, so as to speed your laptop up. :D

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?21203-OOB-Performance-Improvements-(Software)&country=&status=

Dakota822
08-22-2012, 10:09 PM
Another question? Do I need to make a recovery disk for this laptop?

ASI-Fox7
08-22-2012, 10:35 PM
Another question? Do I need to make a recovery disk for this laptop?

I would yes, at a minimum make a windows disc, but I'd make the ASUS Recovery CD's too.

Shawnnepc
08-22-2012, 11:53 PM
I just got the G55vw 2 days ago and so far I must say I love it. But today iv'e encountered some problems. FIrst I was looking for a way to delete Asus Live Updater because I heard you can't get rid of it by just un-installing it so that lead me to this website http://www.securitystronghold.com/gates/asus-live-update.html

Did you click 'download' on that website?

My anti-malware is flagging that as a trojan.dropper

I suggest running a fullscan of malware bytes

http://www.malwarebytes.org

Bundy_Drop_Bear
08-23-2012, 12:31 AM
1+ Rep for ShawnPC for suggesting Malwarebytes.:D

Zygomorphic
08-23-2012, 01:20 AM
That is not spam, @Korky. If he approves of a legit program (and it is), then there is nothing wrong with pushing the +rep button. Personally, I think not enough people use it, so I think he is right in doing so. Rather than having a bunch of posts saying, "great work"/"I agree" the +rep button makes it easy for people to see who knows their chips ;). Hover over the little green square under their name.

Bundy_Drop_Bear
08-23-2012, 01:43 AM
Hey I was just trying to be helpful and I have used Malware bytes for about 6 yrs now, my local PC repair shop even recommends it to customers after I gave it to them and it cleaned up a customers PC which had its web browser/home page hijacked, malware bytes cleaned it up and the system was back to normal within ten min.
I also recommend it to anyone who asks me for good anti-malware programs.

PS: I always thought the green thing under people names was showing if they were on/offline, didn't realise it wa sconnected to the rep button. Thanks for the Tip Zygomorphic. +1 rep for being almost being Famous. LOL

john_from_ohio
08-23-2012, 01:53 AM
Hey I was just trying to be helpful and I have used Malware bytes for about 6 yrs now, my local PC repair shop even recommends it to customers

I agree Malware Bytes is great ... I use it in a double combo along with Norton Internet Security 2012. Not all antivirus products tolerate / work well together but ( in my opinion ) a very good combo.

Not into the repping thing myself I think over time peoples contributions make it on their own ( or not ) but nothing wrong with anyone that does like to do it.

It might be a good idea if a moderator could remove that link from the OP over to the bad stuff ... no need for links like that to hang around here if anyone has the time to clean it out please do.

Zygomorphic
08-23-2012, 02:09 AM
Just cleaned it - no worries!