PDA

View Full Version : HEY ASUS! Fix the HD5870M vBIOS!

FixThevBios
04-26-2011, 06:35 AM
The vBIOS has been broken since launch. Fixed the GSOD issue for most users but that's it. The GSOD was only part of the problem.

How can Asus be satisfied with this shoddy job with a NOTEBOOK vBIOS that doesn't have proper PowerPlay support. If you change the memory clocks for 2D and UVD modes while on A/C power, the screen flickers whenever the memory downclocks to 2D/UVD and upclocks to 3D.

And because the vBIOS also sucks for recognizing when it's in 2D or 3D mode, applications like Steam and the new FF 4.0 can cause the vBIOS to go crazy switching from 2D and 3D back and forth. It's flickering constantly!

On NBR Forums, Gary said he was working with Asus Engineers to fix this. The solution to keep the memory clocks at the same speeds on all settings, 1000, and then using the excuse saying did not see noticeable changes in power usage is pathetic! Please fulfill your promise and fix this problem that has been plaguing G73jh users since it's release. Asus vBIOS is the laughing stock of the notebook community. On NBR, the Asus 5870M vBios has become a joke to laugh at considering Clevo, MSI and Alienware have all managed to have proper PowerPlay on theirs. And I would agree with them. A NOTEBOOK vBIOS without PowerPlay is a joke. Even DESKTOP vBIOS have memory clocks as low as 300 and they don't flicker.

MarkS
04-26-2011, 04:00 PM
I agree the vBIOS can be easily made a little better.

But some clarifications... There is no "2D or 3D mode" (FWIW, Windows 7 uses DirectX for all graphics so it's always in the equivalent of "3D mode").
Those "modes" are outdated. PowerPlay, at least on the 5870M firmware, has three modes (for each PowerPlay "state") based on GPU usage - low, medium, and high.

The problem I see with PowerPlay on the current vBIOS is that while it has the three modes mentioned above, the medium and high modes for all states is hardwired to be the same. So we can't change the clocks for the "medium" modes. I don't know if it was done this way because a "medium" mode doesn't exist or not. But if a "medium" mode exists then we should be able to set different clocks for that mode.

Regardless, if one changes the clocks from the factory settings, then there's always going to be a possibility of flicker due to the hardware.

FixThevBios
04-27-2011, 12:48 AM
Whatever the wording they want to use, High Medium Low, Battery doesn't matter to me. It's just broken and it should be fixed. G73jh users spend $1,500 or more for their notebooks and they deserve a working vBios. This is a confirmed vBios issue that other AMD authorized board partners have fixed for their customers. This is something MSI, Clevo and Alienware all have working properly. G73jh owners are the only ones who are shafted with this idiocy and pathetic vBios.

Gary you said you would look into this and have a fix for us. Please follow through. People are still buying G73jh notebooks, refurbished and what not. These customers and the old customers deserve a response and a fix for this.

davidcwy
04-28-2011, 02:53 PM
I would like to have GTX460M'S VBIOS

FixThevBios
05-05-2011, 04:44 PM
I would like to have GTX460M'S VBIOS

Good for you. There are tools to extract your vBios for your GTX460M. This isn't the thread for it. Use google, so simple, yet it works.

Also a bump. This still needs a fix.