PDA

View Full Version : Asus G74SX Power Issue

duca1991
08-23-2012, 08:14 AM
Hi there,

Just recently got this problem,

I have my charger plugged into the laptop and at random it will keep switching from AC to Battery, constantly, over and over.

the plug goes into the laptop firm. The pin inside the laptop isnt broken, the plug that goes into the laptop isnt broken either.
If i move the plug around alittle it will do it also.

what could the problem be?

Thanks

fostert
08-24-2012, 05:13 AM
Could be poor contacts. Blow out the plugs' holes with compressed air. Grab a can of contact cleaner (at electronics stores) and spray in both. Alternatively some 99% isopropyl alcohol on a q-tip might clean effectivelyt, if you can shove the q-tip into the holes (careful: don't leave any cotton behind!).

dstrakele
08-24-2012, 12:51 PM
The switching Charging/Battery modes indicates a problem with the charging circuitry. This problem may reside in the power adapter (you may have a polarity problem with your power adapter as outlined by @breker in http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?16470-quot-Touchy-quot-Power-Cable-in-my-G-53S&p=112124&viewfull=1#post112124), the power connector, charging circuitry on the motherboard, or the battery.

Does the power plug or battery feel excessively hot?

Can you remove the battery, boot the laptop only on the power adapter and have it function normally?

Goldchamp
05-19-2013, 01:47 AM
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but i am having the exact issue, and the power plug is extremely hot. What do I need to do?

dstrakele
05-19-2013, 04:12 AM
If you remove the battery and boot the laptop only on the power adapter, does it change the behavior?

It'd also be worthwhile to test with another power adapter of equal or greater wattage.

Alternatively, you could RMA the laptop or have it diagnosed at a qualified local computer repair shop.

Goldchamp
05-19-2013, 10:31 PM
I took the battery out and its trying to do it but hasn't yet. And I dunno where in the hell I'd get a bigger power adapter without buying another one for this laptop :) And where could i rma it? I'd rather pay asus to fix it that i would anyone local. I couldnt't even find a place on their website with information.

dstrakele
05-19-2013, 11:42 PM
If you purchased your laptop from Best Buy, give them a call to set up the Warranty Repair. Otherwise, go to http://support.asus.com/ServiceCenter.aspx?SLanguage=en, locate the ASUS Service Center closest to you, and give 'em a call.

If you end up sending your laptop to ASUS, PM cl-Albert in this forum with your RMA information and request his assistance. However, if you are located outside the USA, his ability to assist will be limited.

Goldchamp
05-29-2013, 06:11 PM
Sorry for the delay in posting an update, but I did end up callng asus and getting it rma'ed. Its been the best computer I have owned and I don't want to lose it yet :) I just have a feeling since it's out of warranty i may have to make a major investment to get her back to spec. Anyway I wanted to thank dstrakele for his advice and help on this problem. I would have been lost with out ya! :)