PDA

View Full Version : G75VW and GW2 performance question

Loghain
08-24-2012, 01:43 AM
Hello,
Im new here and also kinda new to hardware and that stuff, i just wanna ask a couple of questions regarding G75VW performance...
I just bought a couple of weeks ago a new G75VW to (mostly) play GW2. The game is 1/2 days away from the release date and i just have some questions about its performance during latests stress tests. I keep getting around 30/40 fps with medium settings while in best appearance i get around 10/15 fps. I noticed that my cpu never goes over 50% and i think that for my pc specs it should at least get 10 more fps.
Am i doing something wrong? What do u guys suggest i should do to increase performance (if i can)??

oh also yesterday´s stress test was worse i had 20 fps medium settings and 5 best...maybe its game´s fault i just dont know what to do haha its kinda hard to enjoy when its performing like my 3 year old pc.

edit: typo

Hyugafe
08-24-2012, 01:58 AM
Did you try upgrading your graphics driver? I have heard that performance is horrible with old drivers and the newest beta drivers work a lot better with GW2.

EDIT: I forgot to say, GPU's are rather powerful nowadays so games don't need CPU that much.

Loghain
08-24-2012, 02:15 AM
yeah i do have some outdated drivers but just cause i dont know which one to upgrate to.
http://www.guildwars2.com/es/news/bill-freist-talks-optimization-and-performance/ here they talk about optimization and a special driver having some performance issues, i also read that latests beta and possibly alfa drivers have been underperforming in some out of this world pcs so im kinda confused haha...
if u know of a driver that works wonders itll really help, i just dont know whats safe

Holy
08-24-2012, 02:56 AM
i have purchased gw2 also. please remember that it has not been optimized in the stress tests.

mrwolf
08-24-2012, 10:14 AM
Yea firstly it has not been optimized fully yet so it should run much better at release..

Secondly you should update Most if not all of your drivers to get the maximum performance and most efficient use of you system with the latest games. (In particular, Nvidia drivers and Intel chipset drivers)

The reason i say intel chipset drivers is because MMO-RPG's like planetside2 or guidewars2 have huge amounts of people in one single area or on a server. So this generally tends to use you CPU more than GPU. The MAIN reason you are experiencing low fps is because your CPU is notworking at full capacity. I would say go on their beta forums or whatever and see if others are having this issue or if not make a thread. Let the devs know whats up and how it can be optimized so that full CPU usage is being utilized :)

Hyugafe
08-24-2012, 12:32 PM
In the latest stress test my G75 was running fine, and CPU was running at 30-60% load. I had latest (304.79) mobility beta drivers from nvidia.

Vivix7
08-24-2012, 12:50 PM
I've played several stress tests (including the 1 hour test yesterday) on my G75VW, and I get 80 FPS on auto-detect. Bumping up the textures and a few other settings, while most everything else is Medium/High (except reflections/shadows), I run at a solid 50 FPS even in populate areas.

Update your drivers to the beta ones, and make sure you're plugged in.

15 hours until headstart begins! Woot.

Hyugafe
08-24-2012, 12:58 PM
Latest beta driver can be found here (http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/46429)!

Loghain
08-24-2012, 02:10 PM
Thanks guys!! ill update my drivers and hope :p.
Yeah i posted here cause official forums are closed and during the stress test there was a 120 reply thread from ppl with higher or similiar specs underperforming with different and latest drivers...no dev answered anything :(
i was getting 40 fps on autodetect, everything medium/low. i was kinda dissapointed.

Hyugafe
08-24-2012, 02:16 PM
Thanks guys!! ill update my drivers and hope :p.
Yeah i posted here cause official forums are closed and during the stress test there was a 120 reply thread from ppl with higher or similiar specs underperforming with different and latest drivers...no dev answered anything :(
i was getting 40 fps on autodetect, everything medium/low. i was kinda dissapointed.

If you still have problems when gw2 launches (after you install new drivers), post in this thread and lets try to figure it out.

Woots
08-24-2012, 02:29 PM
Hello,
Im new here and also kinda new to hardware and that stuff, i just wanna ask a couple of questions regarding G75VW performance...
I just bought a couple of weeks ago a new G75VW to (mostly) play GW2. The game is 1/2 days away from the release date and i just have some questions about its performance during latests stress tests. I keep getting around 30/40 fps with medium settings while in best appearance i get around 10/15 fps. I noticed that my cpu never goes over 50% and i think that for my pc specs it should at least get 10 more fps.
Am i doing something wrong? What do u guys suggest i should do to increase performance (if i can)??

oh also yesterday´s stress test was worse i had 20 fps medium settings and 5 best...maybe its game´s fault i just don't know what to do haha its kinda hard to enjoy when its performing like my 3 year old pc.

edit: typo

I also have GW2 and things run very smoothly here. I have the game installed to my SSD.

You should note that "most" major MMO's load assets as they come into proximity as to not over burden the video card. They are built very different from most single player games or FPS online games with limited number of players. In mmo's there are no limits so the way they handle asset loading is fundamentally different... things are always constantly loading in mmo's while other games they usually only loaded during scene/area changes. MMO's benefit hugely from SSD's.

Due to high population of popular mmo's the most taxing assets are always the other players (their characters) especially in scenario of mass congregation...Like large scale PvP....or PvE raids... or big cities.

If you haven't done so already I recommend you put GW2 on your SSD it will speed up asset loading and prevent lag spikes which drop frame rate at each of those loading hiccups.

Keep in mind, each player has a unique customized look in GW2, all their unique body designs need to have their textures loaded from the installation into the video card ram... the faster you can speed up those process... the smoother the game gets.

SIDE NOTE...Tricks to speed up mmo's (from my 12+ years of playing them now)

Not sure if GW2 is gonna have mass scale pvp (haven't gotten that far in stress tests) but if you still get lag in high population areas like Mass PvP/Raids/Cities.... try these tricks below too.

I recommend you also try these if SSD trick doesn't solve all your problems.
-Turn down or off... anti-aliasing 1st
-Turn down or off...shadow quality 2nd(these 2 things make biggest difference in all games)
-Reduce particle effects quality or viewing radius 3rd (great in mmo's in areas with tons of casters)
-Reduce polygon count (player models specifically) (100+ character models makes for insane amounts of polys on the screen at one time. This usually is labeled different things in all games, most commonly it "complexity", or "quality")

These are usually the main sequence of steps I take in playing other mmo's in years past on my main rigs. I played a few games where you literally had 1,000 players+ all brought together in 1 area doing pvp and systems gets insanely laggy under those circumstances no matter how powerful they are.

Keep in mind there are just limits to hardware and mmo's have the ability to push them to the brink with concurent assets being present all at one time... there is only so much video ram and there are only so many polygons you video card can handle at one time... multiple light sources and multiple particle effects going all at once... bring all that together and you get a system crash lol... it can happen to the best systems given enough players in 1 place. I have ran and been part of many huge pvp guilds in many mmo's over the years... the rule of thumb is before we ever engage in mass scale pvp.. we all turn out graphics to the bare minimum no matter how good our rigs are since speed and not crashing will make a difference in our sucess and mass scale pvp always lags out even if its partial lag it can be just enough to cost you in pvp.

dstrakele
08-24-2012, 03:40 PM
+1 Nice, helpful post, @Woots! A "must read" for those reporting FPS drops and lag in MMO games...