PDA

View Full Version : Right Speaker has no sound

Clintlgm
08-24-2012, 01:16 PM
Well after installing the 800 via drivers I actually paid attention to my speakers. While setting up the Speakers in the VIA Audio Deck I find that there is no sound coming from the right speaker. Plugging in the headphones I do have left and right sound. computer alone I have only left speaker and sub woofer. So I'm pretty sure this is not a software problem as I have noticed very low volume from the get go. I never really paid much attention as I was waiting for drivers that would fix the known problems. I'm pretty sure this speaker has not been working from the beginning. I am hoping one of the Asus guys on here can tell my something I can check for myself, a loose connection or something simple. Really hoping I don't have to send this in for repair. :(

dstrakele
08-24-2012, 01:54 PM
If you are still within your retailer's exchange/return period, I recommend exchanging your G75 for a new unit.

Clintlgm
08-24-2012, 03:38 PM
Well everything is has settled in real well, I've spent a good bit of time configuring this unit. If its something I can't fix myself, Like a disconnected speaker of changing out a defective speaker? I think I would rather send it in for repair. However I'll check that out with Amazon as well.

dstrakele
08-24-2012, 04:10 PM
It's a tough situation. Technically, you will void your warranty getting to the speaker connection, though I don't believe you have to break any of the yellow Warranty seals. Still, it would be a problem if if you inadvertently damaged something in your repair attempt. Plus, the speaker may be properly connected, but defective.

Amazon has a 30 day exchange/return period, and handles them as good as any retailer can. A good partition cloning utility (like Acronis Home) could quickly bring you back to your current system state with all apps, files, and settings (as could a complete Windows Backup that includes the System State).

john_from_ohio
08-24-2012, 04:38 PM
Well after installing the 800 via drivers I actually paid attention to my speakers.

I would recommend ( first getting a full backup ) then uninstalling the Via drivers/components etc. Reboot and make sure you are now using just the default microsoft audio driver.

At this point the bottom speaker should not be working at all.

Test your laptop at this point and see if you are correct ... that the right speaker is not working correctly.

If you confirm it like that ... that there is a definite problem ... then you have to decide if it is worth returning.

Lots of options like using external speakers or a good set of headphones. I rarely use the built in speakers everyones different.

c_man
08-24-2012, 06:00 PM
I think you think that there should be a right speaker. Well, there is none.

OK, there is a right speaker, but you can barely hear it since the so called subwoofer (a powerful low/mid range speaker) takes over. This "subwoofer" is on the left corner, so you would think this is the left speaker.

With those VIA drivers, disable 2.1 in VIA deck and then from your player use balance to right and left. Also from the same VIA deck, you can check the speakers output.

Click each speaker.

http://s11.postimage.org/r1bquwd37/Clipboard01.jpg

http://postimage.org/image/5ewqdvein/

Now if you can hear sound from every speaker, use my settings to get a decent sound.

If do not hear sound from the right speaker, you have a defective unit and you need to contact Asus.

Clintlgm
08-24-2012, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the reply C_man, I was just setting my settings to your settings after loading the 10800a drivers. In this case I had noticed earlier on the there was a problem with my sound but I didn't pay any attention as i had other problems to solve. So I didn't check it all out until yesterday. So now I have checked it in 2.0 and 2.1 and using windows media player if I bring the left channel to 0 I have no sound at all. Testing in 2.1 using the VIA controls as you've shown above I have sound on the Left speaker and sub Woofer, and no sound on the right speaker. With head set I do have left and right sound. I'm pretty sure that the right speaker is not working at all. as much as I hate the Idea of sending this unit in for repair it is brand new and I like things working whether I use them or not. So far comparing this sound system to my G70 this is a disappointment. Then again I didn't by this system for the sound system. So I think off it goes for repair and hoping that everything goes well with that.
:(

c_man
08-24-2012, 08:16 PM
I'm sorry for this. Let's hope they will do it fast.

You know Asus has some very decent sound set-ups on other laptops. They just wanted to ruin the G series.

Clintlgm
08-24-2012, 11:32 PM
LOL yea. My G70SA had great sound. Especially for the that time 4 years ago. Hopefully they fix my speaker quickly. And VIA fixes the rest with a published driver set soon. To be honest yesterday was the first time since I've had this one that I paid any attention to the sound. I seen all the post on the problems an figured that an updated driver would be coming along. Installing the 800 drivers, And using your Settings, I actually tested each speaker. I guess I'll have more volume with both left and right speakers working. I didn't have the problem of the Sub Woofer staying on, with a head set plugged in, with this set of drivers though.
So it looks like were making progress.:o

Clintlgm
08-31-2012, 08:46 PM
Well I don't know whats next. I sent my G75 in for repair of the right speaker. I just got it back today. Laptop Repair Summary states that the tech "Replaced Load Sound Dirve" Sure enough they rolled me back to the 10400a Via Drivers. OK I fire it up and go to VIA HD Audio Deck and check out the speakers. Well I still have a left speaker sound, LFE Sound, But the right speaker still no sound??? and I have all the issues we have with this set of drivers. I will say that the turn around was quick shipped Sat the 25th and got it back Thursday 31. Oh and they reinstalled Asus Update. I just don't understand what I'm doing wrong that I can't get any sound out of the Right Speaker. I do still have Left and right channel sound using a head set!

xenofiend
10-03-2012, 02:31 AM
Same exact problem. Looking for a solution.

Clintlgm
10-04-2012, 03:04 PM
Well as you see from my original post, I sent mine in for repair. I had Mason@Asus help me get it through the system and I got it back exactly as I sent it to them. I don't think its a software problem. I'm not sure how these speakers are connected but I'm not going to VOID my warranty to find out. I think its just a disconnection problem or a bad speaker. I have no Idea it may be directly connected to the MB or through the MB. I keep installing the latest drivers hoping that somehow it is just a driver problem. I'm not going to go through the stress of sending in for repair again. Unless I have some other problem additionally. It appears that the onboard sound sucks pretty much anyway even if the right speaker was working anyway. I normally use a headset or external speakers any way so I get acceptable Stereo. It would be nice to have the onboard sound working for watching movies though. Hopefully this G75 will keep on keeping on like my M70 did and I won't ever have to send it to repair again.

Clintlgm
10-04-2012, 03:18 PM
C_man, just reading this thread again. Are you saying that in fact that there is no Physical Right side Mounted speaker?
I do think there should be a Physically mounted Left speaker, Physical Mounted Right side Speaker and Left Front mounted LFE Speaker. Well now VIA is calling it a Bass Speaker is this not correct?

chrishess
08-26-2013, 01:21 PM
Well as you see from my original post, I sent mine in for repair. I had Mason@Asus help me get it through the system and I got it back exactly as I sent it to them. I don't think its a software problem. I'm not sure how these speakers are connected but I'm not going to VOID my warranty to find out. I think its just a disconnection problem or a bad speaker. I have no Idea it may be directly connected to the MB or through the MB. I keep installing the latest drivers hoping that somehow it is just a driver problem. I'm not going to go through the stress of sending in for repair again. Unless I have some other problem additionally. It appears that the onboard sound sucks pretty much anyway even if the right speaker was working anyway. I normally use a headset or external speakers any way so I get acceptable Stereo. It would be nice to have the onboard sound working for watching movies though. Hopefully this G75 will keep on keeping on like my M70 did and I won't ever have to send it to repair again.

Could you fix it? I'm having the same problem. Also notice that the subwoofer isn't working as it should. The sound coming from it includes mids and highs, not only low frequencys.

Clintlgm
08-26-2013, 03:22 PM
Welcome to the G series notebooks sound system.
Yes my Right speaker was replace on my 2nd RMA
No the Sub Woofer is not a subwoofer, if you look in your VIA Deck you will see that it is called a Bass Speaker, it is a bass speaker that plays the full range of sounds much louder than your left and right speaker. See this thread (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?20220-SOUND-settings-my-sound-settings-on-G75&country=&status=) on how to adjust things to sound better. The real solution is to use a head set, or external speakers.