PDA

View Full Version : [G75 Problem] 3DVision won't work

MaDaSaNo
08-24-2012, 05:32 PM
Hi!

I have a really strange issue and I am the point where I have runned out of ideas to solve it.

I recently bought an Asus G75VW T1066V (which comes with a GTX670M and advertised as 3D Vision compatible) and a Benq XL2420T 24" monitor (which is also advertised as 3D Vision 2 ready).

I also bought separately the nVidia's 3D Vision 2 glasses + IR transmiter kit, since I was told it didn't come with the laptop neither with the monitor.

Fast forwarding, I set up everything, get the latest drivers, everything is installed but I get the "Warning: attempt to run Stereoscopic in non-stereo display mode" whenever I'm trying to play anything in 3D. No matter what resolution or screen frequency. I've tried 1440x1050 120Hz and various other resolutions (all that the screen can handle at 120Hz). nVidia's installation wizard doesn't work either, I see the screen differenty, I can adjust the images but somehow I can't see any 3D.

I'm 100% sure the glasses are charged, the IR transmitter is hooked up to the laptop, green nvidia light flashes when it should but somehow it won't work no matter what.

My GFX card has 2 outputs, HDMI and VGA, I tried with both and no dice. I also tried to connect the screen to the laptop using a DVI->HDMI cable and no dice either.

I then gave it a try at a friend's desktop that has a GTX 560 and connected it with a DVI cable to the desktop. Wizard, Photos and 3D TV videos worked, games didn't for whatever reason. This leads me to believe the problem isn't neither the kit nor the screen's.

So, what can I possibly be doing wrong or overlooking? I'm out of ideas and I really wanted this to work.

Bundy_Drop_Bear
08-25-2012, 03:12 AM
If the Laptop didn't come with it's own Nvidia 3D glasses then it is only ready, which means if you plug a 3D screen into the HDMI socket you can have 3D, other wise you can't. My laptop came with the glasses and works in 3D without any additional screens attached.
Also is there a button next to the Power button, Mine has one which allows me to turn on/off the 3D vision.
There is a difference between 3D compatible and 3D enabled the latter being your laptops screen is 3D and just need's 3D glasses to work.

Shawnnepc
08-25-2012, 01:26 PM
Did you purchase a HDMI 1.4a cable or a standard 1.3?

In order to transmit 3D over HDMI you MUST have a HDMI 1.4a cable. Both devices must also support HDMI 1.4a

Also make sure in the NVIDIA control panel you have the correct 3D output device selected:

It should say NVIDIA 3D Discover

If you continue to have issues let me know. 3D is my specialty

MaDaSaNo
08-25-2012, 05:23 PM
Did you purchase a HDMI 1.4a cable or a standard 1.3?

In order to transmit 3D over HDMI you MUST have a HDMI 1.4a cable. Both devices must also support HDMI 1.4a

Also make sure in the NVIDIA control panel you have the correct 3D output device selected:

It should say NVIDIA 3D Discover

If you continue to have issues let me know. 3D is my specialty

Thanks for the reply!

I purchased a Mitsai HDMI cable. It says it has 24K gold connectors, HDMI 1.4 (not sure if there's any difference between 1.4 and 1.4a) support and is 3D "compatible". What cable (brand) can you recommend me?

Looking through my screen's specs (the Benq XL2420T) I'm almost sure both HDMI ports are 1.4a. I assume the GTX 670M HDMI output is 1.4a since it is advertised as 3D Vision Ready.

Here's the screenshot of my nvidia 3D control panel, with the screen hooked up to the laptop with that HDMI cable. There's no 3D Vision ready seal, and it says my screen is a 3D TV DLP HD ready, which is confusing to me, since everywhere else on the computer it recognizes it as a BenQ XL2420T.

Basically I have the same settings as you, but the type of 3d screen is a mess apparently. I have 3D Discovery as you do, but also have "generic CRT screen", which I don't have (it it the default laptop screen? i'm working on single screen mode) and "generic DLP 3D HDTV".

[EDIT]

So, I did bit more of investigation and according with this thread (http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18431029), apparently the XL2420T doesn't support 3D over HDMI because it doesn't support HDMI 1.4... Can you confirm this? If is as such, I'm really bummed out...