PDA

View Full Version : A couple of Questions from a G75 Newbie...

SgtPepper
08-24-2012, 09:16 PM
Reading some of the posts on overclocking has got me thinking and searching the forum hasn't really awnsered my questions so I thought i'd bite the bullet and start a thread.

I've had my new G75 for about a month now and have things ticking over quite well. I run FSX and IL-2 which should push her to the limit. However in situations where I know it is being driven hard, I curiously feel the fan temp and think it's not very hot and wonder if it's not working as hard as it could.( I could fry an egg in half the situation on my old piece of ****)

I have the 670m for GPU and the 3820QM for the CPU which they say will Turbo boost up to 3.7Ghz. Does this happen automatically or is there something I need to do to activate it? Also there is a lot of talk of checking Cpu/GPU performance and Temps, how do I do this? Is there a programme to download or is there a function already installed that I can access?

Excuse my ignorance, first timer to such high tech equipment.

c_man
08-24-2012, 09:26 PM
HWiNFO64.

Turbo boost will get active under load.

So now you understand why I got a G75.

cl-scott
08-24-2012, 10:00 PM
In a general sense, given the physics of laptops, if you don't know what you're doing, I'd advise staying away. Overclocking with laptops is even a step or two above desktops, because there's less margin for error, plus if you fry something, it's going to be far more expensive to replace/repair. So with that disclaimer aside:

Turbo Boost is an automatic function of the CPU. You will almost never see it go up to the full advertised speed, but that is based on a system devised by Intel to keep the chip from overheating. Essentially it allows one core to overclock more if the other core(s) are inactive, because the net thermal gain will be the same for the entire CPU. I'm sure there are some cringing at that explanation, but I'm not going for perfect accuracy, just giving you an overview.

As for checking CPU temps, you there are programs out there to do this. I've been out of that particular game for too long to offer much in the way of suggestions, except to say SpeedFan is often off by a fair margin, so avoid that. GPU temps are most easily done (IMO) via the nVidia control panel. nVidia's software should be the most accurate for nVidia chips one would hope. There are others of course, but that one is already part of the driver package installed, so it's "free".

On the topic of checking performance... This is another one where I see people fall into the trap of spending so much time trying to eliminate every last minor inefficiency with their system, they forget to do anything else with it. Maybe just spend a little time enjoying it before worrying about that sort of thing.

mrwolf
08-24-2012, 10:46 PM
scott has answered most of your questions relating to the CPU.. Essentially the turbo boost is activated automatically as the load on it increases.. The cooler it stays the more it will turbo boost. Also if the specific program that is issuing the load uses more cores, the less it is turbo booster, it usually will only hit 3.7ghz on a single core max load.. Either way dont need to worry too much about it, if you wanna see how much its boosting in real-time download the turboboost monitor from intel..

In regards to GPU overclocking and managing temps etc.. I suggest you go and download MSI-Afterburner. Its a useful app that allows you to overclock your main clock speed and memory clocks. More importantly it allows a you to view you tempratures while in game with an on screen display and also has some nice graphs and stuff that you can see how you system handles loads and tempratures.. I recommend you do not overclock until you fully understand your bounds/limits and are comfortable with it..

Good luck

SgtPepper
08-25-2012, 01:01 AM
Thanks guys for the info, much appriciated.