PDA

View Full Version : G74SX GPU Problem 301.42

lord_prentice
08-25-2012, 06:41 PM
WHAT THE **** IS WRONG WITH THE ASUS SERVER???
So i just typed a lot of stuff that is WRONG with my 2.000,- Laptop...thanks for nothing Asus...

Since the update to Nvidias 301.42 my laptop often starts in 4:3 mode...loging in to windows in that mode results in a black screen and nothing happening. Then i do a hard-restart and it will take somwhere between 1-12 attemps to get it to start in the normal mode it should.

Problems occurred after installing the Nvdia 301.42 driver which i seem to need to use 3DTV and i did install it clean but not with the wipe i read something about in the forum here. If that could be a solution could you be so kind and explain mostly step-by-step what to do? :)

System
Win 7 Premium
16GB Ram
2x 750GB HDD
Intel i7 2670QM 2,2GHz
Nvidia GTX 560M 3GB

I have the newest BIOS i could see on the ROG pages (it actually shipped with it).
If there is any more info that could help i'm happy to prvide it :)

Thanks ever so much in advance, i know someone in this forum just knows the answere that i have been to stupid to find for over 3 months :)

dstrakele
08-25-2012, 08:41 PM
Check out this post: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?19567-Long-weird-startup-for-my-G53sw-xn1&p=134498&viewfull=1#post134498.

I suspect NVIDIA driver remnants may be causing your problems. You could try a clean install of 304.79 (from the NVIDIA web site) installed from Safe Mode, and if that fails, try the manual uninstall and cleanup with Driver Sweeper and CCleaner. If you still experience problems, backrev to 285.64.

PILGRIM
08-26-2012, 01:14 AM
...Problems occurred after installing the Nvdia 301.42 driver which i seem to need to use 3DTV and i did install it clean but not with the wipe i read something about in the forum here. If that could be a solution could you be so kind and explain mostly step-by-step what to do?...

Have the Driver Sweeper and CCleaner utilities ready, as dstrakele said.

Be advised that this is the most tedious way of reinstalling an nVidia driver.
But for me, it's the cleanest reinstallation process.

-Uninstall all nVidia related drivers in Windows Control Panel.
(Windows will ask you to restart in almost all uninstallations.)

-When all nVidia drivers are uninstalled in Control Panel, restart computer
and go to Safe Mode (F8).

-Use CCleaner to clean up the registry.
Do the clean up at least three times to ensure registry is cleaned.

-Next, use Driver Sweeper. Make sure only the NVIDIA-display and NVIDIA-physX
boxes are checked (leave the NVIDIA-chipset box unchecked). Restart computer.

-Restart computer in Safe Mode. Install nVidia driver.

-Restart computer in normal mode.

If the 301.42 WHQL still makes trouble, try revving up to 304.48 or 304.79 BETA.

lord_prentice
08-26-2012, 01:21 PM
Thank to both of you.

I just did the normal routin of installing the Beta 304.79 in safe mode and checked clean install...i restarted about 15 times now to check if all is fine and so far it is :)

Thanks dstrakele for pointing out the Beta Drivers, i just hadn't even thought of it (i'm not so much a gamer but a programmer so i'm not into all the drivers)

Thanks also PILGRIM i will ave you answere in my emergency folder if it should make any problems :)

This forum is so much better then the support!

Nick18735
08-28-2012, 12:36 PM
Lord,
How you settle this problem? i'm having the same issue...reply me asap...
Thank You.

lord_prentice
08-30-2012, 01:51 PM
I downloaded the Beta Nvidia driver 304.79 and reboot to safe-mode. Then i startet the installation and checked "clean install". Then just restartet and never had a problem since.

dogla
09-03-2012, 09:40 AM
Are the Beta drivers safe to use? I was just looking at those because I noticed my G74 is booting really slow sometimes (like over a minute even with my SSD installed - whereas is was booting in 12-15sec before). I am running 301.42 right now and read a lot of places that it's causing these problems....

lord_prentice
09-03-2012, 09:38 PM
Not sure what can really go wrong...it runs fine here. 3D Movies are great, Games are great...no 4:3 starts anymore :D

If it makes no difference you can always go back...

But i guess you have to ask the real experts :)