PDA

View Full Version : Best buy G75-bbk

Nyorker
08-25-2012, 08:50 PM
Picking this up tomorrow.. Will I have to upgrade drivers or if it ain't broke don't fix it?
Also I understand their is an issue with headphones and bass speaker staying on. I have razor headphones I use for games at night. Will I have this problem since I do not want to wake up the kids?
Also when playing at the best buy store today their was no hibernate option. I heard their is a problem with that also. Only sleep is an option in the power settings. Now I did the command in dos to activate hibernate. It did hibernate from the start shutdown option but hibernate did not appear still in the power section what to do when close lid etc.. Weird isnt it?
I will mainly play counterstrike GO.

chrsplmr
08-25-2012, 08:56 PM
You did not say which model or which drives. SSD's do give you some extra Zip. But is it neccessary ? no.

Nyorker
08-25-2012, 09:28 PM
8gig no ssd. Gef 660m 1tb drive

chrsplmr
08-25-2012, 09:41 PM
Personally I am not a BB fan. (to say the least, well to say what i can here.) but.. that said .. also

for $150 more NewEgg has the 670 version with 12g of memory (only a 500hd, no biggie)
ur going to want to upgrade to a SSD anyway...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230408

in general, my rule is, best deal on the day I buy... for everything else, there is this forum.
best of luck.c.

john_from_ohio
08-25-2012, 11:31 PM
for $150 more NewEgg has the 670 version with 12g of memory (only a 500hd, no biggie)

Of course who would want to run in dual channel eh? The 12 gb machines are a very very strange pick by Asus marketing to sell to anyone in my opinion.

mrwolf
08-25-2012, 11:37 PM
I would say make a backup as soon as you get it.. And then load up the latest drivers, If it ain't broke dont fix it is a good way to go, but its also good to be up to date with the latest and most efficient drivers..

chrsplmr
08-25-2012, 11:57 PM
Of course who would want to run in dual channel eh? The 12 gb machines are a very very strange pick by Asus marketing to sell to anyone in my opinion.

yep ... hadn't thought of that .. but .. yep. (umm .. u do know that i'm not Asus 'anything' but forumMember?..just say'n.)

Know what your buying (1920x1080?) and buy the one you want.
670, SSD, 16gb Memory .. BluRay ... ect... or BBK 8g,660....c.

Feralhog
08-26-2012, 02:26 PM
I bought one of these yesterday and went to the Asus Support page to see what updates existed. The only one I was keenly interested in was the AI Recovery Utility as I couldn't find/see what version came with this laptop and I have read here that if you have an old version it would not restore a 1TB drive. Installed newest version and created recovery disks.

The reason for my keen interest in the Recovery Utility? This morning I took out the 1TB drive, installed a 120GB Intel 520 Series SSD drive. The recovery ran flawlessly and there is a Factory Fresh (for better or worse) image now running on this laptop. The 1TB is going to become a data drive in about ten minutes!

I'm in the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" camp. Good thing is if I do break it at least I can get back to original condition in one hour now.

Feralhog

chrsplmr
08-26-2012, 03:26 PM
FeralHog+ .. Best 'First Post' I have ever read. AweSome. Welcome to ROG.c.

Feralhog
08-26-2012, 04:36 PM
Thanks.

No idea why I've never posted before as I also own a G72 and an Asus Essentio CG5290 desktop. Everything must have remained "unbroken".... until the G72 graphics card decided it was tired.....

Nyorker
08-26-2012, 04:46 PM
Got home an hour ago started install Microsoft essential virus went to test keys in notepad. E key press hard to work.. Spacebar don't work. Oh well

dstrakele
08-26-2012, 06:54 PM
You're doing the right thing. Best Buy has a good exchange/return policy. When you've got a hardware issue like that right out of the box, it's best to just exchange it for another one...

Nyorker
08-26-2012, 07:11 PM
You're doing the right thing. Best Buy has a good exchange/return policy. When you've got a hardware issue like that right out of the box, it's best to just exchange it for another one...

So far so good.. Which back up should i do? the windowns backup or use the recovery that asus has with the asus resource center? Also do i have to update the recovery because of some problem with the 1TB hard drive? how do i know which version or recovery i have? ALso when I plug the headphones in, i do not get any sound from the speakers like many have had prolems with.. Maybe they fixed it?

Cecil_2099
08-26-2012, 11:47 PM
So far so good.. Which back up should i do? the windowns backup or use the recovery that asus has with the asus resource center? Also do i have to update the recovery because of some problem with the 1TB hard drive? how do i know which version or recovery i have? ALso when I plug the headphones in, i do not get any sound from the speakers like many have had prolems with.. Maybe they fixed it?

Which backup to use? BOTH
Update the AI Recovery Utility first, then burn yourself a set of Recovery DVDs. You can check the version from the uninstall menu, just look for "ASUS AI Recovery".
Once you have all your programs installed and any drivers you want updated, then use the Windows Backup.
If the system works as you need it to, then don't worry about updating drivers just to update.