PDA

View Full Version : Asus G55 freezing/locking up randomly - HELP!!

BMWacuraFTW
08-26-2012, 01:44 PM
Hey all, first time poster :P

Bought an Asus G55 near release, had to send it back the next day because it would barely boot up, lock-up, then crash. Just out of the box and I couldn't even finish setting up windows it was so bad!

3 days later, they just sent me a new one (Thanks to the store I bought it at, we skipped the RMA process). 2 months later, I am having a similar problem that gets worse and worse. Installed an SSD, worked fine for a week, now its locking up again randomly. Store confirms I installed it correctly. (Intel 520 120gb SSD).

Started happening when I was browsing Firefox, moved on to World of Warcraft (don't laugh) and now sometimes right before I enter password, or just when the desktop loads. Usually happens shortly after boot up (Within 15 min). System freezes, mouse works, but no response from icons, start menu or CTR-ALT-DELETE. Always happens when Charger is plugged in. Have yet to see it on battery (Rarely use it that way). Does not happen each time, can game for hours in the evening, but locks up during the day???

Sorry for info overload - Please help! Ask me if you need more details. Scoured forums but little help so far. Sending it back to Asus for RMA is not an option with college starting up again next week! Need a laptop for school...

Thanks,

BMWacuraFTW

dstrakele
08-26-2012, 03:35 PM
Check out this post: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?20607-PC-getting-freeze-shortly-after-boot...-and-then-gets-normal.&p=144009&viewfull=1#post144009.

Antivirus programs usually perform a scan at startup. McAfee has been implicated in lockup issues. What have you installed to your system?

It's interesting you report the lockup does not occur on battery (though it could be just because you run on battery less often), as improper grounding can also cause this issue.

BMWacuraFTW
08-26-2012, 04:16 PM
Check out this post: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?20607-PC-getting-freeze-shortly-after-boot...-and-then-gets-normal.&p=144009&viewfull=1#post144009.

Antivirus programs usually perform a scan at startup. McAfee has been implicated in lockup issues. What have you installed to your system?

It's interesting you report the lockup does not occur on battery (though it could be just because you run on battery less often), as improper grounding can also cause this issue.

I ditched the preloaded antivirus software and immediately downloaded AVG internet Security 2012. I disabled the automatic scans from the start :P

The few programs I run (I like a bare bone OS)
- World of Warcraft
- Mozilla Firefox
- AVG 2012 internet security
- Microsoft Office 2010

Deleted most/all the junk programs ASUS gave me on the laptop. Had no problems for weeks after deleting all this software. No windows updates aside from service pack one, stock drivers, thats it! No major changes since I got it!

dstrakele
08-26-2012, 04:33 PM
Troubleshooting lockups can be difficult, but there's still at least 5 other things you can check out...

Plus, AVG 2012 Internet Security has been implicated in lockup issues (see http://forums.avg.com/us-en/avg-forums?sec=thread&act=show&id=214637), so it remains a suspect. You can't really eliminate it until you uninstall it, reboot,, and successfully reproduce the lockup. Updates to Antivirus software are capable of causing issues.

You also say you've installed no Windows 7 updates since SP1. That could also contribute to the instability of your system.

Did the lockups begin on your 2nd G55 AFTER installing the SSD? While it may have been installed correctly, it could still be defective. Lockups resulting from defective SSD's are a common issue.

BMWacuraFTW
08-26-2012, 05:27 PM
Troubleshooting lockups can be difficult, but there's still at least 5 other things you can check out...

Plus, AVG 2012 Internet Security has been implicated in lockup issues (see http://forums.avg.com/us-en/avg-forums?sec=thread&act=show&id=214637), so it remains a suspect. You can't really eliminate it until you uninstall it, reboot,, and successfully reproduce the lockup. Updates to Antivirus software are capable of causing issues.

You also say you've installed no Windows 7 updates since SP1. That could also contribute to the instability of your system.

Did the lockups begin on your 2nd G55 AFTER installing the SSD? While it may have been installed correctly, it could still be defective. Lockups resulting from defective SSD's are a common issue.

No dice with the AVG link you sent me. I don't run any Outlook software :P

Recent Microsoft updates are known to have caused lock-ups, which is precisely why I don't download them. Besides, a service pack is a combination of all the crucial updates out there! Never updated my old Alienware M17x beyond SP1, never ran into trouble :P

Would a new SSD firmware help? From what I've read online, the freezing should be happening when transfer alot of data from the SSD to other things. Makes sense if you think about it... Should be occurring when I tax it. Always freezes when I do very little, as in browsing the internet (more RAM than anything) or just system Idle :P Won't rule it out just yet though.

BMWacuraFTW

dstrakele
08-26-2012, 05:38 PM
It's still possible you've encountered a new or different lockup issue with AVG 2012.

Some of the Windows 7 post-SP1 updates are for stability issues. Your past experience with updates has no bearing on the present. In fact, it is much more likely that AVG Q/A's their updates on fully-patched Windows 7 test systems.

If your lockup issues are relatively recent, using Windows System Restore to restore your system to a time before the lockups, is a way to determine if a recent software change is responsible. This may be of limited effectiveness if the lockups started immediately after the SSD installation, however.

Updating SSD Firmware is a common resolution to lockup issues, so it is also something you could try.

There are threads in this forum that report system instability after uninstalling ASUS applications. If you truly want a "bare bones" system and can't resolve your current lockup issue, I'd recommend a clean Windows 7 installation such as discussed in http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds as a last resort.

BMWacuraFTW
08-26-2012, 05:47 PM
It's still possible you've encountered a new lockup issue with AVG 2012.

Some of the Windows 7 post-SP1 updates are for stability issues. Your past experience with updates has no bearing on the present.

Updating SSD Firmware is a common resolution to lockup issues, so it is also something you could try.

Left the laptop at the store where I bought it, They have been running tests for a few days and still no dice ;P I'll get them to update the SSD firmware. They've already checked the windows update. First thing they did... Thank god they ain't charging me for all the work they are doing!

Is there a possibility its the processor freezing or the motherboard having some hiccups of some sort? I've heard that the processor overheating due to a slow/dead fan can cause this, or an Intel malfunction can cause the processor to crash when in power saving mode. Basically instead of going down to 300 ghz, it goes down to something like 0 ghz

dstrakele
08-26-2012, 06:30 PM
I haven't seen any reports of CPU overheating resulting in system lockups (not to say that it couldn't happen). Typically, it results in an unexpected shutdown, like you pulled the plug. Still, it's good to always monitor CPU and GPU temps on a gaming system. HWINFO64 is one of the best utilities to provide that information and more...

G73JH and JW systems do have a lockup/BSOD issue that results from the CPU dropping down to a lower power mode C-State. ThrottleStop provides a workaround to this issue. I've yet to see any reported instances of this issue outside of these 2 models, however.

Hardware issues from defective components on the motherboard or elsewhere (like the WiFi card or RAM) can lead to lockups. Multiple causes with little diagnostic information is one of the main reasons lockups are so difficult to troubleshoot.

BMWacuraFTW
08-27-2012, 03:43 AM
Thanks for taking the time to answer all my questions. I'll be quite honest, I am somewhat tech savvy and would normally enjoy taking the time to figure it out, but school is starting in about a week... Should I just RMA the thing and let Asus figure it out? With so many potential problems, Its not as simple as testing a few components it seems.

Is there a website with a flow chart of some sort to describe what the issue is? May start the thing but give up if it takes too long! Dunno what the status is at the store, if they couldn't figure it out, then I don't know who will! They suggested most of the things you mentioned, clearly you know what your doing!

So yeah, should I just RMA the thing?

Thanks for your advice and expertise so far :)

BMWacuraFTW

dstrakele
08-27-2012, 05:20 AM
Thanks for your kind words!

ASUS will most likely perform a Factory Restore to your original HDD to return the software (OS, Drivers, and installed ASUS Bloatware to the stock, out-of-the-box configuration, then attempt to reproduce your lockup. If they can't reproduce it easily, they will just return the laptop to you.

You could do this yourself. Back up your current installation, reinstall the original HDD, then use the Ai Recovery DVD's to perform the ASUS Factory Restore to your original HDD if you've deleted the hidden ASUS Factory Recovery partition.. Choose to recover Windows to the 1st partition.

Then attempt to reproduce your lockup. If you can reproduce it, send the detailed keystroke-by-keystroke reproduction scenario along with the laptop.

If you can't reproduce the lockup, just pay close attention to what you install in the future.

In summary, if you don't have an easily-reproducible lockup scenario for a stock configuration, RMAing to ASUS will likely be a waste of time... You could PM @cl_scott, the ASUS Customer Loyalty Rep on this forum (who has previously worked as a laptop repair tech) for his thoughts.

Personally, if uninstalling AVG failed to resolve your lockups, and they began to occur after the SSD installation, I would clean install Windows to the HDD in an attempt for reliability over speed, or just install another instance of Windows 7 on the HDD in a dual boot configuration, so you could boot from the SSD or HDD, keeping all school files on the HDD.

BMWacuraFTW
08-27-2012, 01:09 PM
Unfortunately installing the SSD and HDD isn't an option for me. I don't want to void the warranty on the G55. The second hard drive slot is on the other side of the motherboard, which means completely opening my laptop. I'll see what the store says after their extensive testing of both software and hardware. If they come up with neither resolution and proceed to an RMA I will probably follow your advice and try the recovery CDs. (Already made the DVD's before installing the SSD).

If that doesn't work, I feel I am at a point where I will ask for my money back... I don't expect perfection, but this is the second laptop in two months with this problem. :P Won't be able to find such comparable stats for the same price though.

Strike three was the insanely baaaad service I received with Asus tech support. I thought I saw it all with Dell and Apple! They insisted I would need to buy a new OS to install it on the new SSD. Said the AI recovery DVDs wouldn't work. Wanted me to buy from them a new OS CD at 50 $.... Not impressed!

You should be their tech support ;)

BMWacuraFTW

dstrakele
08-27-2012, 01:41 PM
I was suggesting returning the laptop to stock configuration - I'm unsure what that is in your case and probably confused the issue on my previous post. Return to stock configuraiton shouldn't involve voiding the warranty. A return for refund is another option. Still, you might want to PM @cl_scott to get his perspective, particularly since you appear to find value in the specs for the price.

What did the store tell you after testing?

BMWacuraFTW
08-27-2012, 02:18 PM
Still undergoing tests. Suggested they update SSD firmware in addition to all the work they are doing. The stuff you suggested was already being done lol. Will get results sometime tomorrow... CAN'T WAIT TO GET MAH BABY BACK! xD

Hope they figured it out. In the meantime, I will PM @ cl_scott as soon as I can figure out how ;)

BMWacuraFTW

BMWacuraFTW
08-27-2012, 02:30 PM
Tried contacting @cl_scott.... According the the PM system, he does not exist lol! Mind forwarding this to him?

- Begin Message -

Hey there!

Dstrakel and I have been trying to figure out what is wrong with my new Asus G55VW-DS71. I am having an authorized Asus seller/repair take a look at it for me as well. So far, none of our tests have come up as conclusive. He recommended I get in touch with you to get your take on the whole situation.

I am on the verge of giving up and asking for a refund. So far, Asus tech support has been very disappointing, surprising me by being worse than even Dell and Apple. I thought I saw it all! I hate being lied to consistently, or tricked into purchasing extra items. Thank god I didn't fall for it! Yet I am torn with the want to keep the laptop for its amazing price/stats ratio! Aside from my problems, this is an amazing laptop!

If you wouldn't mind helping us out, you will find most of our information in the following link:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?21450-Asus-G55-freezing-locking-up-randomly-HELP!!

Thanks,

BMWacuraFTW

(I may change the acura to Asus ;)

dstrakele
08-27-2012, 02:33 PM
Click on the red "PRIVATE MESSAGES" link in the upper left of this page. Click on "Send New Message". In the "Recipient Users:" field, type in "cl-s" and select "cl-scott" from the drop down menu. I should've used a hyphen instead of an underscore for him in my previous posts - sorry!

BMWacuraFTW
08-27-2012, 03:30 PM
Haha, no problem! Worked on the first try this time :)

Ill let you know as soon as I get something from the tech store!

Thanks again for everything,

BMWacuraFTW

cl-scott
08-27-2012, 04:43 PM
The first thing I would say is that the security related updates Microsoft puts out should be considered MANDATORY to install, unless you know for a fact that a specific update does not play nicely with some set of software on your system. That is actually exceedingly rare, and I can probably count on one hand the number of times I have seen a confirmed conflict between some update and like a driver. A lot of times people just get lazy and say, "Oh, well the last thing I did was install this update from Microsoft, so that must be it!" They never take the time to go through the entire process to see if that was just coincidental, or a side-effect, like how if you have a system badly damaged by malware, installing a service pack can push it over the edge.

It's a complete myth that those updates slow the system down over time. All that happens is your perception changes. Think about it when you're driving down the freeway at say 55mph, and then you get off and go right onto some residential streets. It's easy to look down at the speedometer and find you're speeding significantly, but eventually 25mph will seem normal. The same trick of the mind is what is going on here, plus you again have people who are too lazy to go through the entire process, and they see some slowdown of their computer and just blame it on Microsoft. Microsoft deserves plenty of blame for plenty of different things, but these aren't on the list. So get those updates installed because you could very well have left plenty of doors and windows open on your system to let malware in that is causing your problem. Whatever problems you think those updates may cause, the problems caused by their absence are even worse.

One of the quickest ways to test this is with a Linux LiveCD distribution. Download one, burn it to disc or flash drive, then use that for a couple of days. If the problem persists, you almost certainly have a hardware issue and should send it in for an RMA. If not, then you have a software issue.

A common mistake made by people is trusting the likes of AVG, Norton, McAfee, or even Microsoft's programs to detect malware. They do a pretty poor job on malware, which is a completely different class of threat from viruses, worms, and trojans (each of which is technically also its own separate class of threat). So combined with the fact that you've been negligent with security updates means one wrong click on a webpage can open the floodgates to your computer for malware to flow in. If the problems do not follow you when using a Linux Live distribution, then I would say that is the most probable scenario, but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves.

BMWacuraFTW
08-27-2012, 06:11 PM
Cl-Scott, thanks for taking the time to respond to my forum post.

In theory, Re-installing the operating system and its latest updates should be an alternative to installing Linux? Basically starting from scratch would remove the security threats you mentioned and installing the updates would eliminate potential security threats not covered by AVG? I have so little programs on my laptop I might as well just start from scratch, especially if its what I may have to do as a consequence to not updating the OS.

The updates currently on the Asus; however, are the ones including those on the AI Recovery DVDs I made a few weeks ago (Well beyond service pack 1) and all the security updates for the month of July. In addition, I do not stray from the following websites:

Youtube.com
Worldofwarcraft.com
Mmo-champion.com
Facebook.com
Yahoo.ca
engadget.com
gmaps
rog.asus.com (of course xD)
nytimes.com
College e-mail/online schedule/work servers (Which I have yet to access on this laptop)
Electronic retailer websites: Future shop, Best buy etc.

From what I understand, it takes a lot more for a malaware to install itself onto your computer. Never torrent, download sketch programs/games, surf on unsavoury websites, click on any adds, even from reputable companies etc etc. Its only been three weeks since I re-installed the OS, on a new blank SSD :/ You sure its malaware?

Regardless, I am at a point where I will try anything! What is a reputable download site for Linux? :P

cl-scott
08-27-2012, 07:33 PM
I just suggested a Linux LiveCD because you can run it off a DVD or flash drive without having to install anything. That makes it quick and easy to test for software issues, and you don't have to necessarily lose anything you may have installed already. If you'd rather just start over, then yes, that would also work.

And while they are less common now, there are still what are known as "drive by" exploits, where all you have to do is simply load a website and it will install something on your computer without you having to take any further action. Pretty much each one of those sites, Facebook in particular, will load content from dozens of other websites for ads or things like Facebook games. A potential malcontent could attack any one of those links in the chain to make up a website, and load in some kind of additional payload. So while you may be on a reputable site, and that site may take their own local security seriously, they can't control all the third party content they are pulling in. Google probably delivers a couple million ads per day, so imagine how many people could be affected if someone manages to break into Google's ad servers, and plant some malicious code. Even if Google ejects it 10 minutes later, that's still hundreds or even thousands of people who have been exposed. Woe be to those people who happened to be "served" during that window.

One of the first things you need to do, is isolate whether or not this is a hardware or a software issue, and the quickest way to do that is to go to what is commonly known as a "Known Good OS" in the repair trade. If the problems exist with your known good OS, then it is almost always a hardware issue that you are dealing with. However, if the problem goes away, then it is something you are doing, or not doing, that is the source of the problem. So no matter how many times you send it in for repair, it won't make a difference.

BMWacuraFTW
08-27-2012, 11:06 PM
What you said makes perfect sense. Could you send me a link to a reputable website to download the linux live CD? Stumbled on a few, but not sure who to trust at this point :P

BMWacuraFTW

cl-scott
08-28-2012, 12:18 AM
Knoppix is one of the original Linux LiveCD distributions: http://www.knoppix.org/

And Ubuntu also allows you to run the full distribution off the install DVD: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/help/try-ubuntu-before-you-install

Doesn't really matter which one you pick, you just need to isolate the hardware so you can tell if the problem is still present even with a completely different OS that you know cannot be infested with any malware.

BMWacuraFTW
08-28-2012, 12:56 AM
Cl-Scott... Thank you so much for the time you have taken to address this issue. I really appreciate it... Gotta admit, I felt Asus forgot about me 'till you dropped in to help!

If my tech store can't figure out what the problem is, I will most definitely follow your instructions. I will let you know as soon as I have results!!

Thanks again!! :D

BMWacuraFTW

btw, have no idea wth fhrougu young is doing up there!

BMWacuraFTW
08-28-2012, 03:19 PM
SYSTEM ANALYSIS:

- The store was able to recreate the systems freezing.
- RAM, CPU, SSD, MB and GPU were tested for 2 days straight. (Extensive tests were done on the SSD - every kb of data clear)
- GPU Consistently failed FunMark benchmark tests. Caused system to crash

REASON:

- Nvidia firmware wasn't 100 % perfect due to its recent release.
- Unclear whether it is stock Asus firmware, Nvidia automatically updating its firmware or windows updates providing that bad firmware.

FIX:

- Reverting Nvidia GTX 660 m to original Firmware
- Computer has passed a series of stress tests performed throughout 4 days PROBLEM FIXED! Normal usage perfect as well!

Turns out nobody was right ;) Thanks again for your time,

BMWacuraFTW

cl-scott
08-28-2012, 04:43 PM
The important thing is that the issue was resolved. Sometimes it's best to go with someone who can actually test the unit. It's kind of difficult to run benchmarking tests remotely after all. Good to see it's fixed. I would still download one of those two Linux distributions. They are handy to have around if for some reason you can't log into Windows, and you want to grab files off the system before you restore the software.

dstrakele
08-28-2012, 06:04 PM
Glad to hear your lockup issue is resolved! Thanks for providing the resolution. It's another possible cause of lockup issues that can be used to troubleshoot.

1) What NVIDIA firmware version are you currently running? It is displayed as "Video BIOS Version" on the main screen of HWINFO64 when you select the NVIDIA display adapter.

2) What NVIDIA driver version are you currently running? Displayed in HWINFO64 or Device Manager.

3) What BIOS version is installed on your G55? Also displayed in HWINFO64 or Windows System Information.

This information will be helpful to others who may experience similar lockup issues. Thanks!