PDA

View Full Version : Is it a good idea to buy a G75?

sc27
08-26-2012, 09:18 PM
I'm thinking of buying a G75VW-RS72 from tigerdirect (http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3420609&CatId=4938) but I've read some threads on this forum and they seem to be filled with horror stories about this computer. I was really set on this computer before I found this forum but now I'm unsure. On other sites, this computer is getting generally good reviews. I'm confused if I should be buying this or not with all of the potential problems which could arise. And should I buy extra warranty if I buy this?

Holy
08-26-2012, 09:25 PM
people only come find the forums if they have problems normally.

also is there a specific reason why you want to go with tigerdirect?

mrwolf
08-26-2012, 09:43 PM
Yea exactly, alot of people come on the forums because they have issues.. I guess regular users don't always have the need to come onto the forums n just.. chat.. lol

Either way, i recommend you get it with warranty, and when it arrives do a good amount of testing and if you have any issues you can always send it back :) and get a new one which shouldnt have any problems. im sure there are soooo many people with this laptop that have no problems and you'll never see them here on the forums..

ASI-Fox7
08-26-2012, 10:02 PM
The only issue I've had with this laptop was with the webcam, taking that out of account, it's an amazing machine (Once a SSD is put it lol). This is my second ASUS laptop, my first was the G51VX and I loved it. All in all, it's worth it.

peterleerule
08-26-2012, 11:26 PM
I have the exact model but bought from canadacomputers. Its amazing. I love it. ABSOLUTELY NO ISSUES!! Its amazing.Its worth the money!

kiba
08-26-2012, 11:45 PM
hehe, every once in a while i try and make a post about how much i love my ROG laptops. just to combat some of the negativity.

sc27
08-26-2012, 11:49 PM
also is there a specific reason why you want to go with tigerdirect?
Bestbuy and Futureshop don't have a cheaper end model with specs I like, and Tigerdirect is the most reputable retailer I know aside from those. And I don't like buying expensive stuff such as this online.

The only issue I've had with this laptop was with the webcam
What was the issue with the webcam?

eeptsmi and
Huh?

And thanks for the reassurement guys :)

peterleerule
08-26-2012, 11:54 PM
HAHAHAHA eeptsmi and was the damn verification!

Yeah Dont get this laptop from BB or Futureshop. They acutally have the 660m and a lower screen resolution for a more expensive price! Also a trick you can do if you dont want to order online is to either go to NCIX or canadacomputers and pricematch the tigerdirect price ( I pricematched at canadacomputers). This way if anything goes wrong you can phsycailly walk to tigerdirect orncix to get it RMA or returned!

chrsplmr
08-27-2012, 12:21 AM
yes and yes. There are many many more that could tell you to worry not, but they
are just having fun with theirs and dont know anything about the fuss..c.

Zygomorphic
08-27-2012, 01:44 AM
hehe, every once in a while i try and make a post about how much i love my ROG laptops. just to combat some of the negativity.

2nd that! not enough people with awesome computer(s) [I have one, @Jsl1ce seems to have three...] stay around on this forum. We need people who do so that prospective buyers aren't turned off by the number of trouble-shooting threads.

Woofyhugger
08-27-2012, 02:20 AM
I was the same as you. I read all the horror stories on here, and was terrified of buying the G75.

I love Asus products, so I took the plunge.. and well.. much to my surprise.. all of the horror stories didn't happen to me. I'm not saying they don't happen.. but they didn't happen to me. My G75 is awesome, and works great out of the box.

Just do it.

I'm thinking of buying a G75VW-RS72 from tigerdirect (http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3420609&CatId=4938) but I've read some threads on this forum and they seem to be filled with horror stories about this computer. I was really set on this computer before I found this forum but now I'm unsure. On other sites, this computer is getting generally good reviews. I'm confused if I should be buying this or not with all of the potential problems which could arise. And should I buy extra warranty if I buy this?

rrohde
08-27-2012, 02:35 AM
I only went by the specs and the price, and the fact that ASUS makes great motherboards when I purchased my G75 at Best Buy.

So far, I am very happy with it, even though I had to exchange the first one I got a week ago because of the keyboard LEDs having some dim spots in the center. The new one does not.

Also, I am very confused about the Thunderbolt port. Is it a Thunderbolt port or not? I am only asking because the mini DVI adapter that worked perfectly on my MacBook and my Dell XPS no longer seems to be working in my G75 and I don't get any output on my 2nd monitor...

Woofyhugger
08-27-2012, 02:42 AM
No it's not a thunderbolt port. It's just a mini-display port.

dstrakele
08-27-2012, 02:45 AM
Check out this thread for Thunderbolt port info: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?14291-What-is-current-status-of-Thunderbolt-in-G75

BMWacuraFTW
08-27-2012, 03:59 AM
Bought a G55 a few months ago and was lucky to buy it from a reputable gadget store that cares about their costumers. Had problems with the first one, they shipped me a new one free of charge, without RMA (send it to Asus to fix, then sent back to me). Its worth it dealing with someone you can talk to. Tigerdirect and Amazon.com don't always have such good service, and getting a hold of a human with some power to get things done isn't exactly easy - like finding a needle in a hayFIELD.

Unlike those websites, small stores aren't guaranteed business. Amazon and tigerdirect don't care as much. They remain profitable regardless. You are one of millions. A small gadget store needs your business. Might be more expensive, but for the amount of time they put in testing my laptop etc, SO WORTH IT!

Last piece of advice, wait a few months before buying a new release laptop... Doesn't matter if its a Ferrari or a Honda Civic, the first off the production lines will have some form of defect.

Best of luck,

BMWacuraFTW

Shiverous
08-27-2012, 09:37 AM
I've had my G55 for 4 days now and I couldn't be happier with it. The only thing that is a bit frustrating is some of the Asus bloatware that some might find appealing but I personally see no actual use for.

Zygomorphic
08-27-2012, 10:06 AM
I've had my G55 for 4 days now and I couldn't be happier with it. The only thing that is a bit frustrating is some of the Asus bloatware that some might find appealing but I personally see no actual use for.

My G53SX was the same way. Keep the following pieces:
ATK kit - backlit keyboard driver.
?splendid utility? + ?Power4Gear? - makes the buttons in the upper left corner of the keyboard work.

Anyone else think of something useful?

Clintlgm
08-27-2012, 09:13 PM
I got my G75 DS72 on Amazon.com fast delivery no hassles good return policy 30 days

Zygomorphic
08-27-2012, 09:51 PM
I got my G75 DS72 on Amazon.com fast delivery no hassles good return policy 30 days

Awesome! That computer is really sweet. :) Do a little gaming? ;)

Feralhog
08-28-2012, 12:49 AM
HAHAHAHA eeptsmi and was the damn verification!

Yeah Dont get this laptop from BB or Futureshop. They acutally have the 660m and a lower screen resolution for a more expensive price! Also a trick you can do if you dont want to order online is to either go to NCIX or canadacomputers and pricematch the tigerdirect price ( I pricematched at canadacomputers). This way if anything goes wrong you can phsycailly walk to tigerdirect orncix to get it RMA or returned!

Best Buy's screen resolution for the G75 is no different than anybody elses, 1920 x 1080.....

RobM2
08-28-2012, 01:58 AM
Neg; the G75VW-BB71 is 1600x900, but they do also carry the 1920x1080 variety, as well. Kind of obvious price difference.

Feralhog
08-28-2012, 03:16 PM
Hmmm...must be a Canadian model. I must remember this is an international forum!