PDA

View Full Version : Webcam Software For G73 SW?

thierry
04-28-2011, 10:40 AM
Hi everyone,

I don't know if I have posted this in the right section (I'm new XD)

Can someone please tell me where I can find the software for my Webcam so that I can also take pictures and stuff, I can't seem to find it and the manual also doesn't help me a lot. can someone please tell me where I can find it?

thanks in advance,

Thierry

MarkS
04-28-2011, 05:07 PM
Asus has its LifeFrame application which should have been included with your notebook, or can probably be downloaded from Asus site.

There's lots of free software available (search "free webcam software"), as well as software for purchase.

VivianNicol
04-29-2011, 12:29 AM
Asus does have a virtual software for the webcam, BUT the driver has to be installed first. I found that I cannot use my webcam so I unistalled the driver and the software..... but reinstalling the driver is NOT working for me...
Can someone PLEASE help me with this. I have a g73sw a1. I keep getting an error message when installing the driver and when I restart the laptop it tells the device is not recognized, I do a search for driver and point it in the correct direction and it tells me the driver is already installed for this device but it still does not recognize it. Asus said they cannot help me with this.

OMG HELP ME!!

MarkS
04-29-2011, 01:13 AM
Asus does have a virtual software for the webcam, BUT the driver has to be installed first. I found that I cannot use my webcam so I unistalled the driver and the software..... but reinstalling the driver is NOT working for me...
Can someone PLEASE help me with this. I have a g73sw a1. I keep getting an error message when installing the driver and when I restart the laptop it tells the device is not recognized, I do a search for driver and point it in the correct direction and it tells me the driver is already installed for this device but it still does not recognize it. Asus said they cannot help me with this.

OMG HELP ME!!

What's the vendor/hardware ID for your webcam?

Even Windows should install a working generic driver for most OEM webcams. But there seems to be a percentage of G73s with a crap model installed...

To the Op... Note that the virtual camera utility mentioned here is NOT required to be installed to use the webcam. It does need a driver however.

thierry
04-29-2011, 08:44 AM
Hi,

I searched everywhere on the web but I can't find a working installer for this software, this is because all of this software is for win vista, it says: can't install on versions later than windows vista or something. Can someone give me a link to win7 64 bit software?

thanks in advance,

thierry

MarkS
04-29-2011, 03:16 PM
Hi,

I searched everywhere on the web but I can't find a working installer for this software, this is because all of this software is for win vista, it says: can't install on versions later than windows vista or something. Can someone give me a link to win7 64 bit software?

thanks in advance,

thierry

LifeFrame 3 is available for download from Asus Downloads (http://support.asus.com/download/options.aspx?SLanguage=en).

Click the link above, choose option 3, then use the following search criteria:

Product: Notebook
Series: Apps
Model: LifeFrame 3

Then select the Windows 7 64-bit version

EricA
09-04-2011, 08:48 AM

OMG HELP ME!!

Exact same problem.

For whatever reason, the driver broke and the device became unknown. I uninstalled it and restarted, it then showed up as a USB Video Device under Imaging Devices and Windows says its functioning. However, Lifeframe, Virtual Camera, SmartLogon and Skype all say another program is using the camera, and the green light never comes on. I know I just need to reinstall the drivers, but can't find them anywhere, they aren't are the ASUS support site.

G73J show the drivers on their page, but nothing under G73S.

Can anyone help?

Chastity@ASUS
09-04-2011, 03:38 PM
I take it you do not have your Driver CD?

EricA
09-05-2011, 02:20 AM
Never came with any.. I was prompted to make 5 backup discs when I first booted the computer after purchasing, in the process of tracking those down to see if anythings on there.

Edit:

I did have the disc... but the webcam drivers aren't on there. After playing around with it some more, its now just an Unknown Device again, Windows won't even load the generic drivers anymore after uninstalling and rebooting.

Suggestions?

Chastity@ASUS
09-05-2011, 06:12 PM
Can you go into Device Manager and paste the HW ID string?

EricA
09-06-2011, 06:07 AM
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u47/Majj23/ID.jpg

Any and all ideas would be greatly appreciated.

captainamerica
10-25-2011, 05:47 PM
I had the same problem with my webcam and after hours of head scratching I found that the problem was due to the smartlogon application. I only enabled it to see how it worked, bad mistake! Now the webcam only works if you wait for the smartlogon software to begin after powering on computer. When the login screen begins you'll have to wait until the smartlogin screen opens (don't click the smartlogon icon or login with password!) and eventually smartlogon automatically turns on the webcam after around 15 seconds! If you don't wait for that then the webcam will not function properly (on mine it will only display black screen). I've tried uninstalling it afterwards and it does NOT correct problem either. I've uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled, downloaded the lifeframe program, tried different driver and that did not work either. I don't really use the cam but still a PITA. I'm assuming that the smartlogon application is starting a service that doesn't get started otherwise. I'm just posting this for anybody else who runs into the same problem, save them the headache.

Marz38
06-15-2012, 12:45 AM
I also had a problem with installing ASUS camera drivers.
It was with a G73JH but who knows it may work.

************************************************** ************************************************** **************
I did a fresh install of Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) on my G73H and tried to install and use the driver from the ASUS site. It wasn't working so I played around a bit and found a possible fix:

- Go to device manager -> imaging devices -> Webcam, right click and uninstall the driver.
- Wait a minute or so for Windows to recognize the camera again OR go action -> scan for hardware changes.
- The webcam entry should pop up again with an yellow exclamation mark
- Right-click -> properties -> update driver
- Choose the second option - “Browse my computer for driver software”
- Choose “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
- choose (for me the second option) “USB Video Device”
my assumption that this is a driver from windows as i never installed it on my comp.
- Click next and windows will install your driver
- Close everything and your camera should now work :D
************************************************** ************************************************** **************

Hope it works!

kpeterha
06-16-2012, 07:39 AM
Bought my G73jh RBBX05 used, so previous owner did clean install of Windows 7 64 bit with no drivers or bloatware. Went to use webcam and got no response. Tried all suggestions I've found on different forms, but still not working. This is what I have tried.
1. Shut down computer, disconnect power cord, then pull battery and wait two hours. Plug power cord back in, reboot, camera should work.
2. Uninstall all USB drivers. Reboot. Computer should reinstall all USB drivers. Camera should work.
3. Download ASUS driver for webcam from website. Install ASUS driver. Camera should work.
4. Uninstall driver for webcam. Reinstall Microsoft driver. Camera should work.
5. Installed ASUS Lifeframe3. Start up software and it tells me, "No camera installed".

I have looked at device manager. Camera is not listed under Imaging Devices. It is listed under Universal Serial Bus controllers, unknown device. No Hardware ID listed. I get the following error message, "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)". Microsoft Forum is not real specific about what this error means. Also, when trying to get information about the Microsoft driver, the error message is, "No driver files are required or have been loaded for this device".

I would really like to use my webcam for Skype. My friend lives in Virginia and I don't get out to see her and her daughter very often. Any new ideas? Thanks, KP.

P.S. I have read that it is less frustrating to just install an external USB camera, but I am a born troubleshooter and this is driving me crazy!

dstrakele
06-16-2012, 09:24 AM
Did you try the resolution in the post immediately before yours?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc725873(v=ws.10).aspx states:

Diagnosis

A device driver notified the operating system that the device failed.

Resolution

For more information about how to diagnose the problem:

1. See the hardware documentation.

2. Run the diagnostic tool Hardware devices are not working or are not detected in Windows on the Microsoft Fix it Center.

You've done some good troubleshooting already, so if the hardware diagnostic tool fails to give a resolution, it is likely the webcam is dead.

Don't let that stop you from installing and using Skype. You can still converse and RECEIVE video, and when you think about it, who really wants to see your ugly ol' talking head anyway?...
;>{)>

kpeterha
06-20-2012, 06:42 AM
Thank you for your response. Microsoft Fix could not help me, so I spent another 10 hours trying more things others had suggested. Nothing worked. I went to ASUS support page and downloaded this:

ATKPackage_WIN7_32_WIN7_64_z100005.zip

I installed APK0100, rebooted, then started Life Frame3 (also downloaded from ASUS support page). For the first time, the green light for the webcam came on and I could see myself on screen. I can now take pictures, movies and do what I originally wanted to with the webcam - online surveys where they track your eye movements while you watch commercials.

Life is good. KP