PDA

View Full Version : [G71] [Help] Looking to Disassemble, Clean, And Reassemble

Pmadison
04-28-2011, 10:04 PM
I'm looking to take apart my G71GX-RX05, replace thermal compound, air dust it out, and hopefully reassemble it in working order.

I've taken apart simple laptops like a Compaq F700 and cleaned it, but I had a picture guide on how to do that, and this computer seems like it could be a bit more complicated.

Are there any Asus guides out there, or any advice that you guys use when taking yours apart?

xeromist
04-28-2011, 10:22 PM
Take pictures of each stage of the disassembly with a digital camera that way you know exactly what went where. I'm also a fan of taping screws. You can tape them to the item they were anchoring or tape them down to your workbench/table in a meaningful pattern so that you know how they go back.

Pmadison
04-28-2011, 10:36 PM
Awesome, thank you Xero :) You never cease to help me with all of my problems :P.

Pmadison
04-29-2011, 12:45 AM
Fantastic news, already done with the operation of my laptop, and It's running quieter, and cooler. Only bad part is, 7 screws lost their home.. Not sure what to do about that.. Should I worry about it, and open it back up and find where they go? Or just leave it? Nothing seems wrong, very stable..

xeromist
04-29-2011, 04:25 AM
Well, that depends on where they came from as to whether they are really needed :P Laptops are such a tight fit for everything that things aren't really going to shift around much. However a good jolt could move something slightly if it's not screwed down and that could cause a problem. The heat sink has spring loaded screws for the CPU, right? At least that shouldn't be a problem.