PDA

View Full Version : Asus G75VW-BBK5 or G75VW-BT1?

RGT19
08-28-2012, 03:21 AM
Hello, this will be my first notebook from ASUS.
Currently I have an HP Pavilion DV6.

So, Asus G75VW-BBK5 or G75VW-BT1?

G75VW-BBK5:
8GB
GTX 660M
Webcam 1.0MP

G75VW-BT1:
12GB
GTX 670M
Webcam 720p

I use Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, MSN, Youtube, Skype, Hotmail, movies, music.

Very rarely I play Call of Duty or The Sims 3.

I like playing with the graphics highs. I do not play games much.
The point is 8GB or 12GB. I never exceeded 4GB of continuous use.
12 GB is exaggerated.
On one hand, I want the latest graphics card, on the other hand, 12GB is exaggerated.
I do not know what to do, help me.

_
08-28-2012, 06:26 AM
Webcam should be the same on both.

Get the BBK5, spend the difference on an SSD upgrade and put its existing HDD in the second slot. ;)

bignazpwns
08-28-2012, 06:28 AM
Well you can overclock the GTX 660 to match the 670 pretty easy. And the 660 is the new kepler and the 670 is old fermi.

Honestly i would go with the BBK5. GTX 660 is a great card. Kepler is great and if you need more power you can get some crazy overclocks on it. Also the BBK5 will run cooler with the kepler so thats a huge +. Also ram is cheap for $20 on the high side you can toss in more ram or for $40 you can toss in another 8gb.

BrandeX
08-28-2012, 09:42 AM
The starting RAM is irrelevant. You can buy RAM and easily put it into the BBK.

RGT19
08-28-2012, 01:17 PM
thanks for replying.
I have doubts.

1. If I buy the 12GB model will not be running in Dual Channel.
2. I like to play games with the graphics on HIGH.
3. with the 660M I may do that, put the graphics on HIGH?
4. if I buy the 12GB model, I'll have to buy another to have 16gb ram and operating in dual channel, and that eliminate the guarantee.
5. with the 670M, the notebook gets very hot?

I like to have good temperatures in the notebook.

I hope you can help me.

Nyorker
08-28-2012, 05:23 PM
Bought one 2 days ago from BB. First one keyboard defective. Ran out paid the damn toll again for 12 bux. Got the second. Bbk-5 and for 2 days runs awesome.. Played counterstrike go, special ops the line " amazing lighting and gfx" get the demo from steam that's what I have. All runs well. No shutdowns or even the speaker problem everyone has with the headphones plugged In. I did not update any drivers. The asus driver update does it on its own. I just Need to get some games with real high graphics to test hard. But I play all games in 1920/1080 and all run fine. I use fraps for fps. I even did the asus recovery cd"s. took 3 DVD"s. I had no antivirus stuff on the HD. Maybe best buy does it if you ask but both g75 had no antivirus installed. So I just installed the Microsoft essential ones and they work fine.

RGT19
08-28-2012, 05:44 PM
Bought one 2 days ago from BB. First one keyboard defective. Ran out paid the damn toll again for 12 bux. Got the second. Bbk-5 and for 2 days runs awesome.. Played counterstrike go, special ops the line " amazing lighting and gfx" get the demo from steam that's what I have. All runs well. No shutdowns or even the speaker problem everyone has with the headphones plugged In. I did not update any drivers. The asus driver update does it on its own. I just Need to get some games with real high graphics to test hard. But I play all games in 1920/1080 and all run fine. I use fraps for fps. I even did the asus recovery cd"s. took 3 DVD"s. I had no antivirus stuff on the HD. Maybe best buy does it if you ask but both g75 had no antivirus installed. So I just installed the Microsoft essential ones and they work fine.

with 660M I can play with the graphics at the top?

RGT19
08-29-2012, 01:25 PM
Help me please =(

Nyorker
08-29-2012, 01:55 PM
Yes but everything on Max. Try some games

RGT19
08-29-2012, 02:43 PM
it is better to buy the 670M model?

Look..

BT1:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-G75VW-BT1-Gaming-Notebook-Intel-I7-3610qm-nvidia-Geforce-GTX-670m-G75VW-NEW-/330783342049?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item4d04393de1#ht_4091wt_1397

BBK5:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-G75VW-BBK5-Republic-of-Gamers-Notebook-PC-NIB-BUY-IT-NOW-/170881044998?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item27c94dd206#ht_2862wt_1163

which one?.

bignazpwns
08-29-2012, 08:34 PM
Yes you can play with high on each card. The GTX 670m runs hotter then a overclocked GTX 660m. With a overclocked GTX 660m i can match the performance of the GTX 675m Overclocking i get about 20fps ectra on the GTX 660M

RGT19
08-30-2012, 11:25 AM
Hello, I never do overclock, I do not know how.

a bad idea to buy the notebook with 670M then?

RGT19
09-01-2012, 04:21 PM
help me guys, i really want to buy this notebook, but i need your help.

rewben
09-01-2012, 05:03 PM
hi RGT19,

imo, looking at your descriptions in the initial post (you mentioned that you seldom play games, and you do not need to have a lot of ram to start with), it is good for you to get BBK5 (as recommended by many in this thread). both 670m and 660m are good GPUs. they both can handle the games that you mentioned.

what is missing is a good SSD (good choices include intel 530 and samsung 830). go buy a SSD to boost the performance further. just make sure you spend some time to read and prepare the recovery dvds first (
First things to do after buying G55/G75 based notebooks (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?17461-First-things-to-do-after-buying-G55-G75-based-notebooks), Step-by-Step: Using ASUS Recovery DVDs to Restore G75 (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?16645-Step-by-Step-Using-ASUS-Recovery-DVDs-to-Restore-G75)). don't do anything on the stock drive, until you are satisfied with the new setup, and decide to put it into secondary slot as storage drive.

RGT19
09-01-2012, 07:37 PM
Hello, very good explanation.

I see many people after a while buy 16GB of ram. The notebook is faster with 16gb of ram?

This will be my first high end notebook. I do not want to stay behind the others. jajaja

I play a lot of Call of Duty, I like the graphics up to max.

I just want to buy the perfect notebook. I do not want to regret later. =(

I'm very confused.

16GB or 12GB really worth, there are more performance?

Shawnnepc
09-01-2012, 08:56 PM
If you don't want to bother with overclocking purchase the 670m version.

You can always upgrade the RAM later if you chose to do so. ( I sell 16GB by default)

Hello, very good explanation.

I see many people after a while buy 16GB of ram. The notebook is faster with 16gb of ram?

This will be my first high end notebook. I do not want to stay behind the others. jajaja

I play a lot of Call of Duty, I like the graphics up to max.

I just want to buy the perfect notebook. I do not want to regret later. =(

I'm very confused.

john_from_ohio
09-01-2012, 09:06 PM

If you are running some big vms ( virtual machines ) having 16 gb of memory is very handy.

Most people will never need more than 4 gb of RAM so a machine with 8 gb of RAM is overkill for most users.

RGT19
09-02-2012, 05:11 AM
I read that some users with 12gb, had not activated the Dual Channel.

is true that I will not have the dual channel?. (12gb = 3 modules)

RGT19
09-02-2012, 02:03 PM
what?, i dont understand what you say.

BornSupercharged
09-04-2012, 05:57 PM
First off, go ahead and buy some 1600MHz CAS 9 RAM, as I've disappointingly read that these G75VW ship with CAS 11. Also, either buy 2x4GB or 4x4GB, as mentioned you want dual channel and 3 out of 4 slots is not going to be optimal. For about $40 you can have 8GB, or $80 for 16GB. It's up to you, and you can always purchase the extra 2x4GB CAS 9 at any time down the road.

Secondly, you want to get an SSD, I personally wouldn't go below a 256GB SATA III. Between the CAS 9 RAM, the 3610QM, and a SSD, your machine should be flying. For games you're either going to get the 660M or 670M - seeing as how this is a 1080P resolution I would go with the most powerful available in the G75VW line - which brings me to point 3...

Thirdly, from your posts, I believe you will be happiest with the 3GB 670M. You don't have to flash an unlocked firmware to your 660M (which I doubt you'd be comfortable doing), and you don't have to overclock it. I've seen a ton of information saying the 670M ranges from 5% to 20% faster than the 660M. On the flip side, the 660M has more overclocking potential, generates less heat and uses less power leading to better battery life over the 670M.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=11466

But let's be honest about one thing: this is a 17.3" desktop replacement, not a 15.x" "crossover" or 14" "true lap top" or even an 11" "not sure if I'm trying to be a true laptop or a netbook..." You are buying the G75VW as a desktop replacement, so energy usage/heat/battery life have zero importance. But let me quickly throw a disclaimer out - "desktop replacement" shouldn't be misconstrued so-as to mean "current generation gaming desktop replacement"; while CPUs are pretty close with their desktop counterparts, the GPU is seriously behind by at least 2 years.

If you like having a warranty, which for laptops I actually do, forget about flashing an unlocked firmware and overclocking the 660M. If you don't care about the warranty, know the risks associated with overclocking and are comfortable tweaking voltages and speeds and monitoring temperatures, you *may* get a better bang for your buck by going with the 660M, depending how much you overclock it. Just a side note, overclocking will generate more heat, use more energy and reduce battery life - it may not end up matching how much the 670M uses but at the end of the day if you overclock you could basically have 670M performance at the 660M pricetag, albeit with full risk and liability on your shoulders in case anything dies.

I'll also just mention that my desktop machine is a heavily overclocked & watercooled 980X, with two GTX580 FTW Hydro Copper 2's in SLI (the 3GB GDDR5 versions w/preinstalled waterblocks made by EVGA - up to 4-way sli and they only use 1 slot up). I'm able to entirely skip the 600 series easily, and even the following (assuming the naming convention continues) 700 series wouldn't be worth the money to upgrade. I'm sure my current cards will be able to do all the games on high settings without any issues for at least 3 years into the future. Whenever they release a nice copper block watercooled card for the 880 (LOL) I'll probably upgrade then.

My point is, without water cooling I do not risk overclocking at all. I overclock my desktop because it's water cooled and the temps stay in the 20-30C range. Even under full load playing some graphics heavy game, I've only got up to the high 40C range. I've got basically 6x120cm radiators with fans in push/pull configuration, two high volume pumps and a massive reservoir. So to me, overclocking a laptop is not worth the risk because it's impractical to properly cool it. It's all just my opinion but if you want to overclock and get massive benchmarks, build a water cooled PC. Again, these G75VW's are desktop replacements, but don't be fooled into thinking you're going to hit desktop-like benchmarks or get anywhere near the same FPS in games.

Point in case, even though my cards have the "500 series" namesake, compare:
GTX580 FTW Hydro Copper 2 3GB GDDR5, 384-bit bus width and 192.4GB/s bandwidth, 4GHz memory clock
670M 3GB GDDR5, 192-bit bus width and 72GB/s bandwidth, 1.5GHz memory clock
660M 2GB GDDR5, 128-bit bus width and 64GB/s bandwidth, 2GHz memory clock

So as you can see, my GTX580 has twice the bus width of the 670M, more than twice the bandwidth than either, and double the memory clock speed than either. So just because these are CALLED "670M" and "660M", don't fool yourself into thinking they're anywhere near the performance of 600-series desktop versions.

At the end of the day, if you want it to be fast and "just work", go with the 670M. If you want to mess around with it and save money, go with the 660M.

RGT19
09-04-2012, 06:24 PM
Perfect, wow, thanks for all my friend, it is very helpful.
Now i know what to buy.

=)
GTX 670M, 16GB and maybe OCZ VERTEX 4.
=)

BornSupercharged
09-04-2012, 06:58 PM
Perfect, wow, thanks for all my friend, it is very helpful.
Now i know what to buy.

=)
GTX 670M, 16GB and maybe OCZ VERTEX 4.
=)

Sounds good, it will last you a very long time & you'll be glad you got the 670M if/when you play games that are giving you 30fps, because in the back of your head you'll know the 660M might have been getting as low as 24fps (choppy gameplay <30fps). I know it don't sound like much, but that *will* make a difference. :cool:

john_from_ohio
09-05-2012, 12:33 AM
Now i know what to buy.

There is really very little difference between 660 and 670 and 660 runs cooler.

This forum seems to be full of people reporting problems attempting to use OCZ drives on these new asus machines. Intel 520 series and Samsung 830 series would be other options to seriously consider.

Don't go near the CL 9 RAM unless you plan on replacing all your RAM ... it is a mismatch with the existing ram. Wait until you get your machine and find out exactly what is inside and match it exactly before purchasing any more.

RGT19
09-05-2012, 02:11 AM
so, is bad idea to buy a OCZ Vertex 4?.
Samsung 830 series is better than OCZ for the Asus machine?

About the 660M, you said that the 660M runs cooler than the 670M, with the 670M i will have problems with temperatures in the future?

I would like to have no problems with the 670M, because this machine will be the change of my desktop, and i will not buy another notebook in years. For that reason, i really want the best GPU posible but without issues.

Forgottenbhs
09-05-2012, 04:48 AM
I have the G55VW-RS71 model which I believe it uses the same chipset as the G75 counterparts and I have been running with an OCZ Vertex 4 120GB SSD wihout any problems. Just make sure you have the latest firmware for both the laptop's MB and your SSD prior to reinstalling Windows.

I also have the GTX 660m overclocked to +135 on the core and +320 on the memory and it runs most modern games without any problems on high to ultra settings. Do keep in mind the CoD is a console port and isn't really optimized for PC so in order to get it working flawlessly you'll have to configure it properly first.

BornSupercharged
09-05-2012, 04:54 AM
There is really very little difference between 660 and 670 and 660 runs cooler.

This forum seems to be full of people reporting problems attempting to use OCZ drives on these new asus machines. Intel 520 series and Samsung 830 series would be other options to seriously consider.

Don't go near the CL 9 RAM unless you plan on replacing all your RAM ... it is a mismatch with the existing ram. Wait until you get your machine and find out exactly what is inside and match it exactly before purchasing any more.

5fps doesn't sound like much but it truly can make a difference in fluid game play when you're talking about a situation where the 670M may get 30fps and the 660M at 25fps. You can always lower your settings too, nobody is forcing you to play with high settings. I 100% agree that when left stock, the 660M runs cooler, that's a fact as it uses less energy thus produces less heat, there's nothing you can do to make the 670M run cooler, the architecture itself is older and uses more power. But being a desktop replacement I just don't see it being a deal breaker.

As for the ram, I agree: 8GB of 2x4GB CL9 or 4x4GB CL9, you're going to replace your CL11 with the CL9. The $40 cost can be offset by selling the ram you pull out on craigslist or eBay, etc.

I read mixed reviews on newegg about OCZ SSD's so I actually bought an ADATA instead. Normally I have no problem buying OCZ, as they have a 5yr warranty, but I saw the Vertex 4 uses Indilinx controller and I prefer the "now forged" Sandforce controller. The Indilinx is faster in IOPS and randoms, but transfer rates are higher with the Sandforce. Given the semi-bad reviews and the $40 savings, I went with a 256GB ADATA SP900 SATA III SSD and it's very fast. It has up to 550MB/s read and 530MB/s write, and in real-world benchmarks I get within 15-20MB/s of both of those. At $150 it's great bang for the buck, speed/performance/cost, and a 3 year warranty to boot (same as Samsung but obviously not the 5yr OCZ offers). Of course I've owned plenty of ADATA storage devices in the past so I know it's a quality brand that will stand behind their products (own 2 ADATA usb flash drives and have a 32GB ADATA microSDHC card in my phone).

BornSupercharged
09-05-2012, 05:48 AM
so, is bad idea to buy a OCZ Vertex 4?.
Samsung 830 series is better than OCZ for the Asus machine?

About the 660M, you said that the 660M runs cooler than the 670M, with the 670M i will have problems with temperatures in the future?

I would like to have no problems with the 670M, because this machine will be the change of my desktop, and i will not buy another notebook in years. For that reason, i really want the best GPU posible but without issues.
See Forgottenbhs's post regarding OCZ Vertex 4, he says it's working fine for him. Plus you've got a 5yr warranty if it dies, just be sure to make backups. LiveDrive is a great backup service, I have an unlimited license and use it on all my computers. Has a restore feature for when you inevitably reinstall windows, you can download all your documents/pictures/whatever you backed up, back to your computer. Of course burning a backup disc is faster than downloading, but if your drive fails unexpectedly it's invaluable.

You are more likely to have a problem overclocking the 660M than you would just using the 670M. Put simply, if you overclock the 660M and it dies, it's your fault, you have no warranty. If the 670M dies, you have a warranty.

I have the G55VW-RS71 model which I believe it uses the same chipset as the G75 counterparts and I have been running with an OCZ Vertex 4 120GB SSD wihout any problems. Just make sure you have the latest firmware for both the laptop's MB and your SSD prior to reinstalling Windows.

I also have the GTX 660m overclocked to +135 on the core and +320 on the memory and it runs most modern games without any problems on high to ultra settings. Do keep in mind the CoD is a console port and isn't really optimized for PC so in order to get it working flawlessly you'll have to configure it properly first.

This is again just my personal opinion, but there's no way I'd overclock a laptop GPU.. that's what my desktop is for which has a proper cooling system designed from the ground up to handle it.

To play the devil's advocate here, as others have questioned buying the 670M "for what?" If the 20% difference between the 670M and 660M is negligible, then why bother overclocking it at all, it's just added risk and extra heat.

It's like there's 3 groups of people at play.
Group 1 who says get the 670M because it's the best + warranty. This opposes Group 2.
Group 2 who says get the 660M and overclock it to make the same performance as the 670M +void your warranty. They oppose Group 1.
Group 3 who says get the 660M because the performance difference isn't noticeable. This line of thinking directly opposes both Group 1 and 2. If the performance isn't noticeable, you should neither buy the 670M nor OC the 660M.

The "hotter/more power/less battery" argument also directly opposes Groups 1 and 2, and is mostly used by Group 3... yet some in Group 2 use the argument as well.

Since it's late here, here's the counter-argument for Group 1 against Group 2.
The 660M stock is 50W TDP, while the 670M is 75W.
A 16% increase to the core, assuming voltage remained the same, brings you to ~67.5W.
P=Po(C/Co)(V/Vo)²

Where

Po=TDP
Co=CPU speed @ stock
Vo=Vcore @ stock

P=Power consumption @ oc
C=CPU speed @ oc
V=Vcore @ oc

Where Po=50 (W), Co=.835 (GHz), Vo = static 1 / unchanged
P=50(((.97/.835)(1)))=67.47W

I wouldn't trust a 16% increase without bumping up at LEAST .1.. hell I'll show a few different possibilities.
5% voltage increase: P=50(((.97/.835)(1.05)))=74.39W (nearly the 670M adding +5% voltage for +16% clock speed)
8% voltage increase: P=50(((.97/.835)(1.08)))=78.7W
10% voltage increase: P=50(((.97/.835)(1.1)))=81.64W

So now you've effectively used more power than the 670M, producing more heat, and perhaps you match the 670M performance, but now you've voided your warranty and risk your graphics card dying early due to operating outside it's specifications.

RGT19
09-05-2012, 11:57 AM
Oh my god, excellent explanations.
With all my heart, thanks for the help and getting me out of my doubts.

One more questions guys,

What is CL11 and CL9?

The G75VW comes with CL11 memory as default, and, i need to buy in the future CL9 memory?

Why, CL9 is best than CL11?

What is CL11 and CL9, i really don't understand this.

BornSupercharged
09-05-2012, 03:35 PM
Oh my god, excellent explanations.
With all my heart, thanks for the help and getting me out of my doubts.

One more questions guys,

What is CL11 and CL9?

The G75VW comes with CL11 memory as default, and, i need to buy in the future CL9 memory?

Why, CL9 is best than CL11?

What is CL11 and CL9, i really don't understand this.

DDR3 1600 has an i/o bus clock 800MHz and data rate of 1600MHz regardless of the cas latency.

Latency = How fast you can get to the data (lower = better)
I/O Bus Clock = Rate at which you can get the data (800MHz for DDR3 1600)

We can find out the actual time interval for how long clock cycles take using this simple formula:
(C / F) 1000 = X ns

Where C is the cas latency, F is the frequency for the i/o bus clock (MHz), and X is our actual time interval for the clock cycle completing, measured in nanoseconds. Lower is better, it means it's completing the clock cycle faster.

So, CL11 stock:
(11 / 800) 1000 = 13.75ns

Take Corsair's Vengeance 8GB kit (2x4GB sticks) CL9 as an example:
(9 / 800) x 1000 = 11.25ns

This shows us that all else equal, the CL9 is 22% faster at "getting to the data" than CL11.

Hopefully that was at least somewhat clear :p

Feralhog
09-05-2012, 04:03 PM
So, if the G75 has CL11 as stock memory, and I am merely adding memory and not replacing it all.....CL11 is what I should purchase?

And, if I were replacing all of the memory, there would be some benefit to purchasing CL9 memory? (No reason to replace all of the RAM unless I had dreams of exceeding 16GBs AND installing Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate)?

Last one.....and the 16GB max limit as stated by ASUS is merely because of Home Premium and not a hardware limitation?

BornSupercharged
09-05-2012, 04:14 PM
So, if the G75 has CL11 as stock memory, and I am merely adding memory and not replacing it all.....CL11 is what I should purchase?

And, if I were replacing all of the memory, there would be some benefit to purchasing CL9 memory? (No reason to replace all of the RAM unless I had dreams of exceeding 16GBs AND installing Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate)?

Last one.....and the 16GB max limit as stated by ASUS is merely because of Home Premium and not a hardware limitation?

Yeah the CL11 is generally cheaper anyway, so if you want to keep your (assuming) 2x4GB you have right now, you could just buy 2x4GB CL11.

If you were replacing it all anyway, I'd go CL9 because it's faster, though in all honesty you probably won't notice a difference in the real world - it's not like going from a 5400rpm drive to a SSD ;)

And yes the 16GB max is a Windows limitation, you could go 32GB if you went with x64 Pro/Enterprise/Ultimate. But to be 100% honest with you, 16GB is overkill and you would simply never be able to use 32GB. Cheapest I found was $37/ea for 8GB sticks, or $148 for 32GB total. I'd rather have 16GB CL9 than 32GB CL10/11, and pay nearly half the price to boot.

I only found ONE DDR3 1600 8GB stick w/CL9, Kingston HyperX KHX16S9P1K2/16 , and it's $144 for 2 sticks of 8GB. So you're looking at $288 for 32GB CL9, or $80 for 16GB CL9. Again, considering you wouldn't be able to use more than 16GB anyway I'd just go with the 16GB.

Feralhog
09-05-2012, 04:54 PM
My plan is to just go to 16GB. The other questions were to try to make sense of the options for others. I believe Crucial 8GB (2x4) for something like $43.00......cheap upgrade...

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=G75VW&Cat=RAM

BornSupercharged
09-05-2012, 05:01 PM
My plan is to just go to 16GB. The other questions were to try to make sense of the options for others. I believe Crucial 8GB (2x4) for something like $43.00......cheap upgrade...

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=G75VW&Cat=RAM

Part Number: CT3076777
Module Size: 8GB Kit (4GBx2)
Package: 204-pin SODIMM
Feature: DDR3 PC3-12800
Specs: DDR3 PC3-12800
• CL=11

That's CL11, if you're wanting CL9 look here instead:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233242

$46.99 after $5 rebate

RGT19
09-05-2012, 11:35 PM
Ohh, so.... The CL9 is the best, faster.

But, one question, the G75vw comes with CL11 memory, right?
So, if I want in the future, I can buy CL9 memorys for the notebook, I'm correct?.

I was thinking, I can buy the model with 16GB already, but, for the reason that we talking about, is better to buy the model with 12GB and after buy CL9 memorys (16GB)..

I'm correct guys?

I have a problem, if I buy the notebook with 12gb, then i want to add 16GB, I will avoid the warranty because two slots is hide and I need to remove some parts of the notebook.

???

RGT19
09-08-2012, 01:37 AM
help guys!.

RGT19
09-14-2012, 01:01 AM
Hello, at the end I bought the model BBK5 and I get in this week. I'll tell you what the experience.