PDA

View Full Version : Guild Wars 2 Shutdown / Hard Reset / Power Off Fix

keish
08-28-2012, 06:41 AM
(ignore the long title. those are just the keywords I searched when looking for a solution)

I have a G73SW laptop. It works like a beast with most other games with high to ultra settings. GW2 was driving me nuts as it would hard reset my laptop after a while of playing.

Now the style of the shutdown scared the life out of me as it reminded me of my old G1S with faulty NVIDIA card which overheated then died eventually.

I checked my cpu core temps and gpu temp and while not as low as I would wish they were not redlining: ~75C cpu temp & 85C gpu temp - although they would creep up higher at some points.

I tried to reduce my graphical settings and throttle my cpu to compensate with limited effect. Still not comfortable with my creeping temps I searched for a way to force fan speeds (as supposedly msi afterburner does not work with this laptop) I found the solution at

I've tested with all settings maxed and have not had temperatures rise over 60-70 for both cpu and gpu now and have managed to play for hours with no issues presenting themselves.

Spread the love Asus owners! Hope the solution works for you.

Note: It is a bit worrying that I never heard my fans kick into serious high gear though even at these temps. The lack of fan sound when experiencing these higher temperatures is one of the reasons I looked for a fan control program.

Porknog
09-02-2012, 08:21 PM
(ignore the long title. those are just the keywords I searched when looking for a solution)

I have a G73SW laptop. It works like a beast with most other games with high to ultra settings. GW2 was driving me nuts as it would hard reset my laptop after a while of playing.

Now the style of the shutdown scared the life out of me as it reminded me of my old G1S with faulty NVIDIA card which overheated then died eventually.

I checked my cpu core temps and gpu temp and while not as low as I would wish they were not redlining: ~75C cpu temp & 85C gpu temp - although they would creep up higher at some points.

I tried to reduce my graphical settings and throttle my cpu to compensate with limited effect. Still not comfortable with my creeping temps I searched for a way to force fan speeds (as supposedly msi afterburner does not work with this laptop) I found the solution at

I've tested with all settings maxed and have not had temperatures rise over 60-70 for both cpu and gpu now and have managed to play for hours with no issues presenting themselves.

Spread the love Asus owners! Hope the solution works for you.

Note: It is a bit worrying that I never heard my fans kick into serious high gear though even at these temps. The lack of fan sound when experiencing these higher temperatures is one of the reasons I looked for a fan control program.

I tried the free beta weekend of GW2 and had the same problem, my G73JW shut off seemingly at random and the fan speeds never ramped up. What was the fix you found? I'd love to be able to play this game.