PDA

View Full Version : Gpt

metgen
08-28-2012, 03:57 PM
Recently purchased a G75VW-BBK5. Before powering up for the first time I figured I'd make a back up image of the hard drive. Luckily for me this didn't work because it is not a MBR drive but instead a GPT drive. Cannot be imaged as far as I can gather. How have others done this? Is it better to boot to a brand new OS CD and just start fresh and force an MBR based system installation from scratch?

I can't think of any benefit of using GPT. It makes all of my disk tools obsolete etc.

Angrybrit
08-28-2012, 04:07 PM
I just replaced the hdd with a 2tb and an ssd so I clean installed on ssd.

Clintlgm
08-28-2012, 05:42 PM
Acronis 2012 Plus pack does support GPT, "Acronis True Image Home 2012 supports Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) and GUID partition Table (GPT) disks. You can back up and recover partitions, volumes, files and folders on GPT disks." I have not tried a restore disk as of yet. My G75 VW DS72 in at Asus repair right now for a minor problem fix "Bad Right Speaker" I am hoping they don't restore me back to original configuration. If they do, I have made Using Acronis 2012 Plus Pack to make a disk back up of my 256 GB SSD GPT partition. Any I'll find out for sure if it works. I suspect that it will, As I have had very good luck with their products for back up and restoring disk and working with Disk Images. I just haven't experienced GPT yet. Perhaps others on here will chime in with there experiences. Some of us really don't need a fresh windows install every time. Not sure what disk tools your using but all mine work with GPT. I used Partition wizard to adjust my partition sizes with out any issues. Partition Wizard which I had never used before for all intents and purposes is an upgraded Partition Magic very familiar UI and functions and free.