PDA

View Full Version : I never saw a slower laptop than this.

ntzntz
08-29-2012, 02:16 AM
I have a G75VW-BBK5. I never saw a slower laptop than this. Even with 8G 1600 Mhz I7 Ivy. Maybe the HDD is the fault of the slow system. But it cant be so slow. Once again ASUS proved that they make low performance laptop. I have the original W7 Home Premium x64 installed. Fresh. Fresh drivers installed and no bootload programs from asus. I still wonder why this computer is so slow. I hope to get a new HDD/SSD and see if the problem is solved. My previous computer it was a Desktop DELL 530 with 8G RAM DUAL CORE CPU and a 9500 GT video card. And a 500 GB 7.200 HDD. I hoped that this monster of laptop it will crush my desktop but it did not do that at all. It`s true i could not played games on that Dell but the overall performance it`s better than this. Anyone have the same problem like me? If after the HDD upgrade the laptop does not do better. I will trow it from the 7th floor. Asus proves that you better not buy something from them. And you better pay for something else.

dstrakele
08-29-2012, 02:27 AM
What Antivirus software are you currently running on this snail?

ntzntz
08-29-2012, 02:32 AM
This snail is running Bullguard Antivirus (Just the antivirus module).

theevilisback
08-29-2012, 02:36 AM
I even flipped my laptop upside down before posting to verify I have the same model.

How is your's running slow? My laptop boots up in about 25 seconds up to when my anti-virus starts booting (I'm almost always on a public wifi @ work, so it's basically required)

I'm sitting here with Guild Wars 2 running max settings getting almost 45 FPS in windowed mode, so I'm really thinking you got a faulty system or something. There's no way your dual core could outperform this. I had a dual core with 8 gigs of ram and a 250GTS vid card and it can't come close to the performance this thing can bang out :x

dstrakele
08-29-2012, 02:37 AM
1) How are you measuring performance and what numbers are you getting?

2) What happens to performance if you uninstall Bullguard and REBOOT?

3) Have you run DPC Latency Checker? DPC Latency can really rob your system of performace.

An SSD, Hybrid HDD, or even a 7200 RPM HDD should boost performance over your 5400 RPM HDD. Not sure what you're lookin' for to keep it from going out the window, however...

ntzntz
08-29-2012, 02:44 AM
Guys please tell me what program to run and i give you all the screenshots you need. And then you tell me if im right or wrong. I expected more from this. I blame the HDD or the Software. I will try to change the Antivirus to. I never said that the dual core desktop do better but the overall speed of the computer was much faster than this snail :) Once again i am not talking about game performance. ( One problem btw I play League of Legends. I have random spikes but no lag or low fps )

_
08-29-2012, 02:55 AM
When your system is 'slow' what is it doing exactly? Is the HDD light flashing whenever you are waiting?

Best Buy models sell with a 5,400RPM HDD. It's their choice to bundle it on this model as they sell on size (1TB iirc), versus a much faster but smaller 128-256GB SSD.

dstrakele
08-29-2012, 02:57 AM
So it's not gaming performance. What activities on this laptop give you slow performance? That'll help us determine how to troubleshoot.

Show us what DPC Latency Checker gives you in a screen shot while doing low performance activities.

I bet an SSD with a clean install of Windows 7 without any ASUS Bloatware might make you smile...

_
08-29-2012, 03:16 AM
Easy tigers. People are here to learn! :P

dstrakele
08-29-2012, 03:18 AM
Aaah, just run the laptop upside down like @theevilisback and I do. It's a lot faster and the fans run much quieter...

rewben
08-29-2012, 11:13 AM
@ntzntz, use SSD to unleash the true power of your beast. i have a g55, the little brother of g75. i have a windows experience index of 7.3 due to GPU. previously, it's the 1tb stock HDD that gave me a low score of 5.9.

also, please go through the forum and pick up things along the way (e.g. ssd optimization, ram upgrade, etc.).

finally, you really have no idea what it is capable of. don't throw it away. give it to me :D

chrsplmr
08-29-2012, 11:47 AM
Easy tigers. People are here to learn! :P
Very well said good Sir.

I live for the day BestBuy is Banned from this 'bundl'n' tap dance they do.
Or clearly mark it -- AlmostROG... or better yet .. AsusBBK.

Am I the only one sick of this ???
ReRead the first post ..
"Once again ASUS proved that they make low performance laptop.[for BestBuy..sic]" .c.

john_from_ohio
08-29-2012, 12:08 PM
I live for the day BestBuy is Banned from this 'bundl'n' tap dance they do.

Totally wrong ... please tell me you do not work for asus ... the Best Buy option is the best buying decision ... in my opinion.

Same stuff totally in the machine ... easy to upgrade ... mine ( aside from ongoing minor audio issue ) is an absolute beast.

Now if we could do something about the average Best Buy customer ... but thats a whole different area right?

Even with my stock 1 TB drive the machine was fine ... of course upgrade almost immediately to an SSD ... but dang fast even so.

Chris ( if that is your name ) ... I really never much understand your postings ... my bad ... but this one is way way off track.

finalhour
08-29-2012, 01:04 PM
Install an SSD, my machine FLIES with my OS installed to a CORSAIR FORCE 3 GT 180GB SSD drive, it's kind of obvious that it's the HDD, and you have 2 drive bays...just spend 150 on something like a corsair

soulctcher
08-29-2012, 01:29 PM
I'm wondering if you aren't infected with some sort of malware that is eating up your resources. Try this: Hit the Windows key and R at the same time to get a Run prompt. Type in resmon and click OK. By default you should have some tabs to look at called Overview, CPU, Memory, Disk, and Network. Typically, either CPU or Disk will show you the culprit, (unless you've got a rootkit installed that has replaced the resmon tool to hide the offending malware). Personally, I check the Disk tab, and look at Disk Activity to see what processes are reading/writing a lot. If I find one I'm not sure of, I start researching it. Either way, this isn't a bad machine...it should run fairly break-neck if nothing is getting in the way.

dstrakele
08-29-2012, 01:52 PM
+1 @soulctcher! Good Post on a way to troubleshoot performance issues.

chrsplmr
08-29-2012, 02:05 PM
Totally wrong ... please tell me you do not work for asus ... the Best Buy option is the best buying decision ... in my opinion.

Same stuff totally in the machine ... easy to upgrade ... mine ( aside from ongoing minor audio issue ) is an absolute beast.

Now if we could do something about the average Best Buy customer ... but thats a whole different area right?

Even with my stock 1 TB drive the machine was fine ... of course upgrade almost immediately to an SSD ... but dang fast even so.

Chris ( if that is your name ) ... I really never much understand your postings ... my bad ... but this one is way way off track.

Hey john .. if that is your name .. hahaha .. yes Chris is my name .. I do not work for Asus. Their loss.
im in the book bro. chrsplmr=Chris Palmer (Sr.)
Not the 'same stuff' totally in the machine ?.. where else is the 5400hd available but bbk .. that's why the
prices 'appear' lower ... until you upgrade... and what of the 1600x900 screens ?? only from bb friend.
If they were the 'same stuff' they wouldnt need all the model # and 'cript'd specs ...
.. imho & with all due respect.

BuyerBeAware.z'All.

agree--soulctcher+.c.

Shawnnepc
08-29-2012, 05:50 PM

I agree with Chris.

I'll PM you the reasons, I don't want to totally derail this thread.

On topic:

Even the 5400RPM G75 is pretty fast, it sounds like theirs other variables at play effecting the unit

colpolite
08-29-2012, 06:58 PM
Remove bloatware, install all windows updates, and get microsoft essentials or avast then restart and you should be snappy.

Feralhog
08-30-2012, 10:34 AM
I have a G75VW-BBK5. I never saw a slower laptop than this. Even with 8G 1600 Mhz I7 Ivy. Maybe the HDD is the fault of the slow system. But it cant be so slow. Once again ASUS proved that they make low performance laptop. I have the original W7 Home Premium x64 installed. Fresh. Fresh drivers installed and no bootload programs from asus. I still wonder why this computer is so slow. I hope to get a new HDD/SSD and see if the problem is solved. My previous computer it was a Desktop DELL 530 with 8G RAM DUAL CORE CPU and a 9500 GT video card. And a 500 GB 7.200 HDD. I hoped that this monster of laptop it will crush my desktop but it did not do that at all. It`s true i could not played games on that Dell but the overall performance it`s better than this. Anyone have the same problem like me? If after the HDD upgrade the laptop does not do better. I will trow it from the 7th floor. Asus proves that you better not buy something from them. And you better pay for something else.

Take it back and get a replacement. Out of the box mine booted (after initial setup) in 20 seconds with all of the so-called bloatware installed. There is nothing slow about it. The "slow" hard drive should only impact software loading times, copying/pasting, etc. Would I rather have a 7200 drive? Yep.

In the interest of full disclosure I have swapped out the hard drive for a SSD after insuring the 5400 drive worked as I expected it to work. In fact, the SSD and G75 were purchased together.

mrwolf
08-30-2012, 12:53 PM
Yea i agree.. it shouldnt be slow AT ALL.. If it is, send it back lol u have a defective product..

finalhour
08-30-2012, 02:28 PM
Take it back and get a replacement. Out of the box mine booted (after initial setup) in 20 seconds with all of the so-called bloatware installed. There is nothing slow about it. The "slow" hard drive should only impact software loading times, copying/pasting, etc. Would I rather have a 7200 drive? Yep.

In the interest of full disclosure I have swapped out the hard drive for a SSD after insuring the 5400 drive worked as I expected it to work. In fact, the SSD and G75 were purchased together.

Hope you're not using that SSD for storage...use it to run your OS and use an HDD for your files...otherwise you're gonna reduce your SSD to paperweight status in a short amount of time

Feralhog
08-30-2012, 03:15 PM
Hope you're not using that SSD for storage...use it to run your OS and use an HDD for your files...otherwise you're gonna reduce your SSD to paperweight status in a short amount of time

Nope, the 1TB drive is relocated to the empty bay and is storage.

ZeroBarrier
08-30-2012, 06:09 PM
and what of the 1600x900 screens ?? only from bb friend.

Actually, the Best Buy model of the G75VW comes with full HD 1080p LED matte display, just like any other non-3D G75VW out there. Yes, the Best Buy models of a lot of ROG G-Series laptops in the past have come with low resolution screens, but you can't say that about the G75VW.

Nyorker
08-30-2012, 09:04 PM
Just got my g75 from best buy and it take 45 seconds to get into windows including entering my password so take 2 seconds off.. How do you guys get in at 20 seconds. Also what bloatware did u guys delete?

mrwolf
08-30-2012, 09:13 PM
With an SSD i get into windows within like 10-15 seconds :)
The ONLY thing that takes up 90% of the time is the windows boot splash. If i remove that i wud be getting in almost instantly

Feralhog
08-31-2012, 12:17 AM
Just got my g75 from best buy and it take 45 seconds to get into windows including entering my password so take 2 seconds off.. How do you guys get in at 20 seconds. Also what bloatware did u guys delete?

45 seconds is about right for a stock G75 (with 5400 drive)......

finalhour
08-31-2012, 12:41 AM
With an SSD i get into windows within like 10-15 seconds :)
The ONLY thing that takes up 90% of the time is the windows boot splash. If i remove that i wud be getting in almost instantly

8 seconds with splash :-P

john_from_ohio
08-31-2012, 12:42 AM

FInd my thread about what to do first when you get a G55/G75 ...

Feralhog
09-09-2012, 12:39 PM

Been thinking about this comment but it took me a while to find it again.

Why do you say that? It would seem like using an SSD for the operating system would be more stressful for an SSD than running games from it? All you're doing when running games is loading them for the most part. Meanwhile, Win 7 (or whatever) continues to slave away in the background regardless.

Thanks,

finalhour
09-09-2012, 04:07 PM
Been thinking about this comment but it took me a while to find it again.

Why do you say that? It would seem like using an SSD for the operating system would be more stressful for an SSD than running games from it? All you're doing when running games is loading them for the most part. Meanwhile, Win 7 (or whatever) continues to slave away in the background regardless.

Thanks,

Because SSDs are still a new technology. The current line of thought on how to maximize the life of an SSD is that you should reduce the amount of file writes on them. I use mine for my OS and manually have it set up to store TEMP files and other unnecessary writes on the HDD, minimizing the writes that I am doing on it on a daily basis. If you have documents and other things on there, you're both filling up your SSD with stuff and making all sorts of temp files every time you use the stuff you're storing. There are some good threads on here about how to set up your SSD with your G75 to maximize the life of it. Check them out.

Feralhog
09-09-2012, 06:36 PM
That's pretty much what I am doing now (i.e. using SSD for the OS and using 1TB for storage, software, games, etc). Your comment was the first I had seen regarding "reduce your SSD to paperweight status in a short amount of time". If these things are that susceptible to failure because they are actually being used I may have to rethink SSDs until I do further research. While I realize it's a relatively new technology on the consumer level, your post was the first one I had read regarding a potential risk in doing so when compared to a typical hard drive.

Thanks,

mrwolf
09-09-2012, 06:41 PM
Really and truly they will still last like 5 years so dont worry about your SSD's :)

The extra boost in speed is definatly worth it

Feralhog
09-09-2012, 07:00 PM
Really and truly they will still last like 5 years so dont worry about your SSD's :)

LOL, well hells bells, that's longer than most mechanical drives! I don't expect to be using this laptop in five years!

Zygomorphic
09-09-2012, 07:37 PM

Yes and no from what I've read. If you really do a lot of writing to the drive, the wear out time is a lot less. For most people, though, the shock resilience is more of a factor than the wear-out of the NAND cells.

Zygomorphic
09-11-2012, 01:07 AM
+1 rep @soulctcher! I do this too! Excellent way to determine exactly what is chewing up system resources unnecessarily. It is also possible that your AV program is scanning in the background because the computer was off when it was scheduled to scan. Set the scan time to a time when you aren't using the computer, and then leave the computer on during that time so the AV program can do its work.

kiba
09-11-2012, 01:47 AM
i havent been on here in a while, but to the OP, listen to dstrakele, it could be a virus, malware, or the actual antivirus/antimalware software, i had pandaGP on my first G75 (ive gone through 3 of them to get a good one) and it was causing similar problems. I ended up w/ KasperskyAV (w/out firewall, you dont need it)/malwarebytes Pro/ccleaner . this combo works for me but with antivirus software you can run into all kinds of problems, a panda GP driver was causing my CPU activity to stay above 50% at all times, which of course will make everything else seem snailish.

Now im able ro run GW2 on max settings, minus supersampling because i dont see the point, and I'm in a very large guild from rift (reached the 500 cap in 3 guilds so far) we do a lot of big events and WvW so a whooole lot of chars on the screen w/ no problems or lag.

tkolarik
09-11-2012, 04:36 AM
I got the same Best Buy G75 because I needed to use my Best Buy credit card (and I wanted the free XBOX student deal). I order it with a side order of a Intel SSD. I ran pretty well right out of the box but benchmarks weren't astronomical.

I made the backup DVDs and removed the 1TB HD and did a restore to the SSD. Then I re-inserted my original equipment HD and erased it. Then move all my Documents, Video, Music, etc files over to the big drive. All programs like Steam and Games go to the old drive. It is smoking fast now!!!

My SSD cam with a utility called Intel Toolbox that once a week does some maintenance on it. It also carries a 5-year warranty. But the do recommend, for max performance, it should never get over 70% full.

However, the lame WiFi is a real issues for me....no channel bonding and it kinda lags now and then. It's unfortunate that ASUS didn't design this to easily swap WiFi out, so I will have to wait until the warranty is out to put a new one in.

kiba
09-11-2012, 11:36 AM
i never had any issues w/ wifi at my house untill i went to a lan party at my buddies house and had similar problems (kept poppingout of the channel, intermittent lag/connectivity) later on it works fine again on my home network.

madnj
09-11-2012, 03:52 PM
First, wifi issues are related to channel interference easily resolved by setting your router to use a static channel (I believe I'm running on channel 11 at the moment), but experiment until you find a stable channel.

Second, if you are complaining about performance of a system while running on a terribly slow 5400 RPM drive, you really can't be taken seriously. The stock drive that comes in the Best Buy model is a decent storage drive, nothing else. An SSD or Hybrid (SDD/7200RPM combo) will completely transform the performance of the beast that is the G75. Personally I prefer storage over pure SSD, so I run a Seagate Momentus XT 750GB system drive which has a 7200 RPM spindle speed and some onboard SSD for cacheing frequent reads.

Performance of the system running this way is amazingly good, and you can't even compare it to the base 5400 RPM drive which as I said previously should be kept as a storage drive (1TB is amazing capacity for a laptop), but you really need to use a pure SSD, hybrid, or at minimum 7200 RPM spindle hard drive to get decent performance.

ntzntz
09-11-2012, 11:06 PM
I tested the HDD with HD Tune PRO for bad sectors. I even benchmark it to see other scores. I think this the problem overall is that the HDD is doing his best for it`s kind. I will try to get some money out to get a decent SSD. Until then i did fix a little bit of the snail speed. I removed the Bullguard antivirus and installed AVG. It`s running a lit faster. I see that my thead has so many post on it. But overall i expected to much from a 5.400 HDD. Anyhow thanks for the posts. I will post again when i get the SSD.

Zygomorphic
09-12-2012, 01:09 AM
5400 RPM HDDs are the slow stuff these days. 7200 RPM drives are better, though not by much in transfer speed. The latency goes down a bit, but even a slow SSD will beat a fast HDD. If you want the comp to fly, get an SSD.