PDA

View Full Version : G75 Plugged in not charging

korn_spiracy
08-29-2012, 07:43 AM
Hey there

Got my new G75 yesterday and has been going fine.

Was playing some games today and when i quit to windows i was notified that the laptop is plugged in and not charging, yet staying at 95-96%.

Does anyone know if this is this an issue or is it normal?

c_man
08-29-2012, 09:24 AM
It should charge only when it's under 95%. At least this is how mine works.

dstrakele
08-29-2012, 03:05 PM
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries states:

"The Li‑ion charger is a voltage-limiting device that is similar to the lead acid system. The difference lies in a higher voltage per cell, tighter voltage tolerance and the absence of trickle or float charge at full charge. While lead acid offers some flexibility in terms of voltage cut‑off, manufacturers of Li‑ion cells are very strict on the correct setting because Li-ion cannot accept overcharge. The so-called miracle charger that promises to prolong battery life and methods that pump extra capacity into the cell do not exist here. Li-ion is a “clean” system and only takes what it can absorb. Anything extra causes stress."

It's important that your Li-ion battery is not overcharged. That is why charging stops until the battery level fails below 95%.

cl-scott
08-29-2012, 04:43 PM
Long story short, it's a method to kind of prolong the life of the battery. Li-Ion batteries are typically good for at least 300 recharge cycles, one cycle being going from 100% to 0% in whatever sort of combination. Maybe you go to 50%, charge it back up, then go back down to 50% again, which would be 1 cycle.

The physics of batteries is that they will slowly lose a charge even when not being used. Those pesky electrons just want to be free darn it! So rather than be constantly topping off the battery, keeping it at 100% and wearing out the battery very quickly, the system will let the battery drop to a level like 95% to start charging it again. It's kind of a balance between keeping the battery reasonably well charged so that if you take it off AC power you have a "full" battery vs. trying to extend the useful life of the battery.

Shawnnepc
08-29-2012, 05:58 PM
Let the battery completely discharge and recharge it.

This will resolve this issue.

1 in 10 of the ASUS's we've sold have this issue.

Very minor and will cause no issues for you in the future

korn_spiracy
08-30-2012, 07:23 AM
Thanks everyone