PDA

View Full Version : Help with memory upgrade please

Rifain
08-29-2012, 08:26 AM
Hi there

I need help because it's driving me nuts. I bought a G75 a few weeks ago with 2*4GB additional ram. I installed these, the Asus didn't want to startup, black screen. I installed only one ram in the upper slot, it worked but the additional ram wasn't taken into account (still 8GB in the bios).

I thought it was a motherboard issue. So I sent the G75 back and ordered another one (a slightly different model).
I tried to install the same additional ram, I have the exact same issue.

Also, please take a look at the attachment, it seems the memory doesn't fit well. It doesn't enter fully in the slot, is it normal ?

Do you think the issue I have is related to the memory I bought ? What can I do ?

Cheers.

c_man
08-29-2012, 09:20 AM
Any RAM module în lower slot does not work? Are you sure you install them properly?

Cecil_2099
08-29-2012, 09:22 AM
Are you inserting the chips in at an angle (like 45 degrees) into the black part then rotating the chip down into the clips? If you aren't then the chips aren't seating properly. Do a quick forum search as there's a thread in here that has visuals on how to install laptop RAM (or just google it).

Rifain
08-29-2012, 11:11 AM
Thanks for your advices.

c_man, I am really not sure I've done it properly. I tried to force it a bit though, but the chip doesn't go further in the slot.

Cecil, I was not aware of this technic. I looked over the net and this forum and didn't find any visual for this. The best I got was this video but it doesn't show how to do it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2nsPU9ERnA

c_man
08-29-2012, 05:00 PM
Maybe this can help a little
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crM27ICi8Ao

Cecil_2099
08-29-2012, 11:10 PM
Youtube's blocked at my work site, so here's a link from Google's search results for "How to install laptop ram" with static images:

http://www.helpwithpcs.com/upgrading/install-laptop-memory.htm

Rifain
08-30-2012, 07:08 AM
Thank you for your links. It helped because I didn't know it had to be done this way, but it didn't solve the problem though. I think I will try another set of memory, the ones I have might be faulty.
Do you think it can be a memory timing issue ? I have read in other threads that timings might matter ?

c_man
08-30-2012, 07:12 AM
It might. Mixing RAM modules is not a good idea in general. Even when everything looks good you might get some errors and problems on the long run and you will blame RAM last. It's just trial&error 'till you get a good set to work well or use something others already tested.

_
08-30-2012, 07:53 AM
I can see from your picture they are simply not installed properly - you will not see the gold pins once they are all the way into the slot.

Rifain
08-30-2012, 08:04 AM
I can see from your picture they are simply not installed properly - you will not see the gold pins once they are all the way into the slot.

Yes, I feel it's not well installed, but whatever method I try to insert those, the memory doesn't enter fully in the slot, there is simply no space enough and it's blocked. When I insert those with a slight angle, it's slightly better but I can still see the pins. Do I have to force them ?

rewben
08-30-2012, 11:28 AM
no, DO NOT force them.

first, look at the pins; there are 2 sides of the pins, divided by a small gap. one side has fewer pins (shorter side) than the other. now, look at the slots, they have the similar layout (2 sides, with a small, extruding part between them).

when you place the ram, make sure you place it accordingly (i.e. the gap on the ram must be filled by the extruding part in the slot; also, the pins of ram is now fit and submerged into the slot). naturally, the ram get held by the slot in a 30 degree position. then apply mild pressure to the two sides of the ram (see picture), so that the ram is locked by the clips.

_
08-30-2012, 12:01 PM
Great advise!

Yup - they go in at a 30-45 degree angle and should slot in with little force, then push down towards 90 degree where the metal clip one the edges will pop around the PCB and hold it. It's a two step motion.

dstrakele
08-30-2012, 12:31 PM
+1 @rewben! A picture can be worth a thousand words, but you supplied good words as well...

Rifain
08-30-2012, 12:46 PM
Thanks a lot Rewben. I'll give it another try.

rewben
08-30-2012, 01:21 PM
thanks MarshallR@ASUS and dstrakele :D; no problem, Rifain. you will realize it is very easy after this (hopefully) lol!

john_from_ohio
08-31-2012, 10:41 AM
no, DO NOT force them.

the ram get held by the slot in a 30 degree position. then apply mild pressure to the two sides of the ram (see picture), so that the ram is locked by the clips.

While for sure you do not want to "force" any RAM ... often it does take more than "mild" pressure to insert laptop RAM especially the first time into previously unused sockets.

Also very awkward for people with big fingers to do sometimes!

rewben
08-31-2012, 12:43 PM
@john_from_ohio, yeah lol sorry for my english, it's not my mother tongue :) that's why i thought putting up the picture might make more sense to OP.

Rifain
09-09-2012, 11:32 AM
Thanks a lot guys. Thanks Rewben.
I got it working now. It appears the RAM I had (corsair value select) didn't fit because a tiny difference in size (this memory is supposed to be compatible though).
I tried with another memory (Corsaire vengeance) and it fitted immediately. So now it works fine.
My misadventures are not finished though. Now I have 2 Asus g75. The second one is the one with a burnt graphic card. I wanted to be refunded, the reseller didn't want to. I wanted it to be fixed (so I can sell it later), they didn't want to because they said it had scratches in the back. It has almost microscopic scratches because I opened it to puit an SSD. I complained, they agreed to send it to Asus but they told me Asus might not want to repair it because of the scratches.

rewben
09-09-2012, 02:41 PM
@Rifain, don't mention it :) wow who would have guessed that the size was the main cause of your previous issue.

i think you can still do rma with the bad gpu. it has nothing to do with the scratches.