PDA

View Full Version : Help! G73JH goes BSOD on boot; Win7 Startup Repair does nothing

Gunnah
08-31-2012, 02:54 AM
Hey everyone - I'd love some help.

Yesterday a program installer told me there was an I/O error with the F: drive on my G73JH. Windows slowed to a crawl, then suddenly went BSOD and restarted. Now whenever I boot I get the option to load Windows Startup repair. I did, it worked for hours, and said it fixed the problem, but booting normally still goes BSOD (I can't read the error message - it only flashes for a split second before restarting).

I don't have a restore disc. I haven't opened the case or modified the hardware in any way. No peripherals are connected. Not at all sure what I can do from here. Any ideas would be truly appreciated.

(Maybe I should mention that a few weeks ago, some strange behaviour began - if left alone at power-up, the laptop just goes to a blinking cursor. The only way to prevent this is to hit escape during the logo screen, then tell it to boot from the hard drive at the menu that follows. Other than that it's been fine.)

dstrakele
08-31-2012, 04:03 AM
If you use Windows System Restore to restore your system to an earlier time, at least prior to the 1st BSOD, does it resolve that issue?

Are there Disk errors reported in your System Event Log?

Gunnah
08-31-2012, 04:22 AM
Hi, dstrakele - thanks for the reply -

I've been unable to use System Restore; my OS isn't showing up when Startup Repair loads. I've tried to load the drivers in the ISO Chastity linked to here (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?1150-G73-74-53-Series-Driver-and-Application-Reference&country=&status=), via a burned DVD. Startup Repair recognizes the drivers and goes through the process of adding them, but the OS still doesn't show up, so it won't let me use System Restore.

Re: your second question, I don't know how to access a system event log without Windows.

xeromist
08-31-2012, 04:29 AM
Sounds like the hard drive going belly up. :(

If you can't boot from the drive you might be able to set it up as a slave to extract data if you have anything important on there.

Gunnah
08-31-2012, 04:54 AM
If you can't boot from the drive you might be able to set it up as a slave to extract data if you have anything important on there.

Just booted from an Ubuntu DVD. I can access data on all four drives, right where I left it. Kind of relieved, but also confused. Any attempt to get in through Windows fails.

Trying to figure out how to access the win7 system event log through Ubuntu. Does anyone have any ideas?

Also wondering how to go about re-installing Win7 without a restore disc. I don't want to have to RTM just to reinstall the OS, if it turns out that's all that's needed.

dstrakele
08-31-2012, 05:11 AM
If you have dual drives on that laptop, you could install a Windows instance to the data drive and possibly open the event log file on the OS drive (if it is not corrupted), but that is probably moot at this point.

This post can get you started on how to install Windows: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?19433-G74SX-no-longer-boots&p=134078&viewfull=1#post134078

Gunnah
08-31-2012, 05:21 AM
If you have dual drives on that laptop, you could install a Windows instance to the data drive and possibly open the event log file on the OS drive (if it is not corrupted), but that is probably moot at this point.

Possibly foolish question: If I can access the OS drive through a Linux boot, doesn't that suggest it's not corrupted?

reID_entify
08-31-2012, 06:29 AM
Possibly foolish question: If I can access the OS drive through a Linux boot, doesn't that suggest it's not corrupted?

Even if you can access the OS drive it can still be having issues, try using the linux disk utilities on the hard drive.

Gunnah
09-01-2012, 09:28 PM
Yes, linux disk utilities seems to think the drive is near to failure, and at this point I'm inclined to agree.

RTM... at least it's still under warranty. Thanks anyway everyone.