PDA

View Full Version : G55VW AC adapter major problem

colpolite
09-01-2012, 05:48 AM
I just got the g55vw today and i'm having trouble with the ac adapter or power cord. Basically the issue is that the ac adapter will work for a few minutes then will shut off.

What is happening is that the green light on the ac adapter will light on when plug in the outlet and then it will turn off after few to several minutes regardless if i plug the ac adapter in the laptop or not. If i plug it in the laptop, it will show the orange charging light and the plug icon on the windows icons n the lower right corner so i know it is working but then after several minutes, the ac adapter will shut off then it wil revert the laptop back to using the battery and the plug icon turns into a battery only icon.

I also tried using different outlets around the house and it's the same issue with the g55 ac adapter but my other appliances works fine on those same outlets.

I also tried plugging the ac adapter by itself in all outlets and it lights up green to signal me that it is working then a few minutes later it shuts off and when i try to unplug and replug, it no longer lights green and i have to wait several minutes until the ac adapter lights up green again. I think this rules out the possibility of having issues with the laptop itself right?

Can anyone pls help me with this issue if possible? Thanks

dstrakele
09-01-2012, 11:27 AM
From your description, it does sound like the power adapter is bad. I suggest contacting your retailer and exchanging your laptop for a new unit. You could alternatively go through an ASUS RMA for Warranty replacement of the adapter, but you would then be unable to use your laptop until you get a working power adapter, plus you would lose the option to ever exchange or return the laptop if you discovered a problem.

colpolite
09-01-2012, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the reply dstra. I got an rma from asus already for the ac adapter but they said i have to pay the shipping to ship to them, i thought they offer a free 2 way shipping and it says also outside the box? Is this only if sending the actual laptop and does not apply to battery or ac adapter?.

Another thing is i have been shopping around for a temporary spare replacement since the original one that im sending in for rma might take 2-3 weeks before i get it back says the asus csr over the phone.

Will this work? Is the power hole and size on the g75 the same with the g55?

http://www.amazon.com/Automobili-Lamborghini-A53sv-nh71-G74sx-ts71-G75vw-as71/dp/B005WMCZCC/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

http://www.amazon.com/Hipower-Adapter-G75VW-BBK5-Notebook-Computers/dp/B008FQHE1Y/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_2

dstrakele
09-01-2012, 11:42 PM
It is my impression that ASUS covers shipping both ways for RMA's in the USA. As I understand it, you provide the packing materials, and ASUS emails a pre-paid shipping label you can print and put on the package. Laptop's purchased from Best Buy may be different. I don't know where you purchased yours...

I would have gone back to the retailer to save time and avoid the hassle. If I tested and was satisfied my laptop had no issues, I would've asked if they had any defective G55 laptops returned and ask them if they could switch my defective power adapter with that one, so I wouldn't have to start from step 1. If they didn't, I probably still would've exchanged the laptop.

I'm suspicious the ASUS CSR's have been told to say you need to pay the shipping costs to them, and if there's no push back from the customer, it helps them save money. I would say "I don't think it is fair to have to spend any additional money to get a just purchased, brand new item repaired. You know what, I still have the option of returning the whole laptop plus all accessories back the retailer for a complete refund. Is that what you want me to do?" Then the CSR's answer can determine what you do.

As for the power adapters for which you provided links, I do not know if they will fit a G55 laptop. I would probably spend rhe additional $$$ to get an OEM ASUS Adapter, so there would be no argument of Warranty validity if my expensive laptop developed a problem.

colpolite
09-02-2012, 12:04 AM
It is my impression that ASUS covers shipping both ways for RMA's in the USA. As I understand it, you provide the packing materials, and ASUS emails a pre-paid shipping label you can print and put on the package. Laptop's purchased from Best Buy may be different. I don't know where you purchased yours...

I would have gone back to the retailer to save time and avoid the hassle. If I tested and was satisfied my laptop had no issues, I would've asked if they had any defective G55 laptops returned and ask them if they could switch my defective power adapter with that one, so I wouldn't have to start from step 1.

I'm suspicious the ASUS CSR's have been told to say you need to pay the shipping costs to them, and if there's no push back from the customer, it helps them save money. I would say "I don't think it is fair to have to spend any additional money to get a just purchased, brand new item repaired. You know what, I still have the option of returning the whole laptop plus all accessories back the retailer for a complete refund. Is that what you want me to do?" Then the CSR's answer can determine what you do.

As for the power adapters for which you provided links, I do not know if they will fit a G55 laptop. I would probably spend rhe additional $$$ to get an OEM ASUS Adapter, so there would be no argument of Warranty validity if my expensive laptop developed a problem.

I see what you mean. The problem with returning it to the retailer is that i bought this one online via amazon, if i return it, i would have to pay shipping plus insurance and will take 3-5 business days for them to get it, then if they send me a new replacement, it would take another 3-5 business days. Basically i'm losing about 10-15 days of time w/o my laptop and spending 40-50 dollars in shipping and insurance just to return it to the retailer to get them to send me a new one you know a mean?

dstrakele
09-02-2012, 12:13 AM
No. I bought a laptop for my daughter from Amazon. It arrived damaged. I called Amazon and returned it for a refund with no cost to me.