PDA

View Full Version : nvidia gtx670m under preforming?

rman1093
09-02-2012, 06:44 AM
hi all, hope all is well.
recently i picked up an asus g75vw equipped with the gtx 670m, a re-iteration of the standard gtx 670 chipset (slightly upgraded).
now to get things cracking i borrowed a friends crysis 2 and updated it to direcx11.
to my slight disappointment, i am barely reaching 40 fps on ultra. (i am using FRAPS)
now, tbh, the game still looks awesome on lower settings, however, after speaking to said friend and doing some research, it seems that there is literature out there that points to better performance.
am i experiencing a driver issue? or is there some configuration i need to do? is my performance the norm for this chipset? expected?
thx all!

Arne Saknussemm
09-02-2012, 06:47 AM
Hi there? :)

What resolution is that? If it 1920x1080 that may be about what you can expect

Check GTX670 performance here http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/2 they get 48FPS out of the non mobile card.

c_man
09-02-2012, 07:55 AM
LOL. "Barely" 40? How much do you need to play it well? And only one game with FRAPS on top means nothing really. Give us like 10 scores of benchmarks and games with exact versions and drivers.

Zygomorphic
09-02-2012, 07:58 AM
Please only post in one forum. The other threads have been merged and deleted. Thanks! :)

rman1093
09-02-2012, 08:04 AM
well ive read that the non mobil version gets around 50. i want that haha, and as i understand i should be getting somewhat better results given the gtx 670m vs the standard 670
and sorry admin, i wasnt sure where to post!

Zygomorphic
09-02-2012, 08:06 AM
No worries! That's why I just merged the other guy's posts and removed the extra threads. Just nuked about sixty spam posts...that arrived since 7 hours ago :mad:.

If you don't know where to post something, just post it in General Discussion and one of the mods will move it.

c_man
09-02-2012, 09:15 AM
Where is this 50fps? Link us.

mrwolf
09-02-2012, 11:46 AM
hi all, hope all is well.
recently i picked up an asus g75vw equipped with the gtx 670m, a re-iteration of the standard gtx 670 chipset (slightly upgraded).
now to get things cracking i borrowed a friends crysis 2 and updated it to direcx11.
to my slight disappointment, i am barely reaching 40 fps on ultra. (i am using FRAPS)
now, tbh, the game still looks awesome on lower settings, however, after speaking to said friend and doing some research, it seems that there is literature out there that points to better performance.
am i experiencing a driver issue? or is there some configuration i need to do? is my performance the norm for this chipset? expected?
thx all!

Ok, im gonna show you how to play this game in dx11 mode with better than ultra graphics !! ;)

Basically first thing you do is update to the latest beta drivers and latest chipset drivers. Make sure in your nvidia settings FXAA is off and everything is set up properly.
Now if you have a 3D screen you can take serious advantage of it here. In the Nvidia control panel settings set you Refresh rate to 120hz. Then go on manage 3d settings and at the bottom, turn off v-sync and triple buffering, and also where it says preferred refresh rate set that to highest as possible. This gives better perfomance without any screen tear.

Now the next thing you wanna do is download this and follow the instructions EXACTLY - This is a quality and serious upgrade mod that allows you to utilize MAD levels of tesselation and other dx11 eye candy. The best thing about this mod is that it give 10x better performance and look 50x better ;) ;) http://www.crydev.net/viewtopic.php?f=308&t=71027

After you install you will see that the maldo 3.0 app that gets installed gives you advanced option setting, this allows you to add custom dx11 features to EVERYTHING if you prefer. I recommend you keep it as it is and dont max that stuff because its just tooooo ULTRA and you need a desktop with two SLI's to run that kinda stuff. So yea jus leave it, make some small edits if you want but dont over do it and try and keep with that setting because everytime you change it you have reinstall the Blackfire mod n stuff.

Either way set it up like that, then in game your shadowing should be set to 'custom' because it has been altered by maldo 3.0 and also set post-processing to like medium or high or something, it takes up tooooo much memory and should not effect the quality of the game...

Enjoy :D

mrwolf
09-02-2012, 11:49 AM
When i set my crysis 2 up like this i was getting a decent 40+ fps with Unbelievable graphics, like truely unreal. So i didnt mind 40+ fps as it is completely playable.

Also i did all this before i overclocked my system. So if i do that now, with mid OC im sure 100% you can hit 50+ fps ;)

rman1093
09-02-2012, 07:40 PM
heres some info from tom's hardware, the gtx 670 is in red, acroos mult. resolution settings at ultra
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-670-review,3200-6.html

thx for all the links mrwolf, ill have to try it. which drivers were you running prior to your mod? is crysis not necessarily optimized for our hardware due to our mobile driver iterations?

rman1093
09-02-2012, 07:43 PM
i also just noticed we have the same rig, minus a ssd haha.

mrwolf
09-02-2012, 10:21 PM
I see, but this link from toms hardware is on the desktop versions of the GTX 670. Ours is the 670M and has 3GB Vram..
I believe i was running 304 verde drivers back then and finnished the game. But you should get the latest beta drivers.
Yea you better install those mods, it adds a different level on immersion to the game specially the depth of field feature and Advanced use of Tessellation.

Crysis is optimized for our cards, however it is a very demanding game designed for powerful Desktops to run on ULTRA everything. But you can achieve the same level of graphics if you just tone down the shadows and post-processing. With the mods, even a better level of quality than the stock ultra and you should get better performance too.

c_man
09-03-2012, 07:03 AM
I don't see how 670M can be faster than 670. Desktop cards are better in general.

ggBanks
09-03-2012, 08:07 AM
True that, the desktop 670 uses around 150W as your whole G75 uses around 130-150W when you bare in mid the processor the GPU, RAM, HDD, chip set and all the other hardware so you cannot expect such low-powered machine to perform like a desktop computer. The verdict is that it is not under performing its that there is no such laptop to be powerful as a full-sized desktop monster :)

mrwolf
09-03-2012, 11:31 AM
Yea exactly, you cannot compare the desktop versions with the mobility versions.. But what you can do is optimize it youself for best performance :)

That usually includes lowering post-processing, shadows, and anti-aliasing to an extent..

Either way i still think it performs like a BEAST :D crysis is just a spectacular game tho