PDA

View Full Version : Clean Installation for Asus G74Sx-BBK8

LeeEang
09-03-2012, 03:02 AM
After I had my laptop installed a clean windows 7 home premium, my laptop has become slower that is very noticable. The boot time takes up to more than 1 minute where before it took about 25-30 seconds. I did google it about the booting time, and found they mentioned about the new update of NVIDIA (301.42) which caused the booting to be longer. So I went on downgrading it (using Roll Back function from Device Manager) but it still took more than 1 minute to boot .

Another problem I figured is that the windows is not as smooth as it was before. I don't think I did anything wrong, but it's just slow. I also experienced something I've never encountered. Everytime I open an application, for instance Asus GPU Tweak, it asks me for the permission to open. And it's not only this app, some others app behave the same way too.

Please help me with this.

P.S. I installed all the needed drivers ATK, KB Filter, NVIDIA Driver (296.16), Sound, Chipset, LAN, Wireless LAN, Touchpad (Synaptic not Sentelic) and BIOS 203.

chrsplmr
09-03-2012, 01:21 PM
You need to go through windows now and 'tweak it', for one thing. Everything is on. (back to that in a bit.)

Where is the hang up in the boot ? What do you see for that minute ? (Is there a music disc in the dvd/bluRay(if it has one)?
Is there anything plugged into the USB's?
Long boots show it's looking for something that it expects to be there usually .. what is on the screen ?
Once booted, is all the ram show ? and What antiVirus .. ect.?

As to Windows .. We all have our own quirky ways when it comes to Bill. Depends on your flavor.
Down and dirty? just the basics of 'what you need'? or everything On.
64bit?
Charles 'Black Viper' Sparks ---- is the master of all windows (since 1999)... and is a great place to start.
http://www.blackviper.com/Windows_7/supertweaks.htm >>> you will notice that 'user control' is first.

http://www.blackviper.com/os-install-guides/windows-7-install-guide/ >>> just to review.

http://www.blackviper.com/sitemap/ >>> everything else ... Service tweaks ... in example.

You will have to turn on some things .. to turn some things off..
Is the 'run' command in start menu ?
Is AdminTools in the start menu? ---
*Right click the task bar (the bottom of the screen)>click properties>Start Menu>Customize
Scroll through the list-enable run and admintools....and change others to menu if you like.
*now 'run' will appear in start menu -- click run -- type 'msconfig'/enter>Start Up tab>
uncheck any 'bloat' that you dont need.
*That's a start .. BlackViper should be able to handle it from here ...

One last .. just as UserControl waists valuable time clicking for idiots .. so does some
of the other waist clicks that windows 'needs' ...
One of the first things I do is 'Snap to' in Control Panel>Mouse>PointerOptions>enable SnapTo..
...the cursor will move to the obvious choice .. as in ... 6 browser tabs are open, you click the
red X ... windows box appears and asks .. 'close tabs'? hahhahahaa yes ... with snapTo...
click twice and it does what you asked it to do when you click the red x the first time ..
best of luck.
Welcome to ROG.c.

LeeEang
09-04-2012, 06:35 AM
The hang up boot is between the boot logo and welcome screen. It will stay there for about 30-45 seconds. And no, there was nothing plugged in the usb nor cd or dvd in the cd drive. All the ram is shown (8GB) and I don't have any anti-virus since I know it slows down the laptop. In case you wonder if my laptop has virus, it doesn't have any virus. However, I had Advanced Systemcare installed and I did turn all of the unnecessary programs that run at start-up including Advanced Systemcare.

Thanks for the link, it did give me some useful information I've never known about windows 7. There are "run" command and Administrative Tool in the start menu. Nothing is missing from start menu. Once again, I turned off all of the unnecessary programs and I didn't install any bloatwares I know I won't use. ( I installed Power4Gear Management since I can use function key to change the power plan).

There's another thing I noticed in the screen resolution, it says Mobile PC Display. Is that the way it's supposed to be?

Thanks Chrsplmr for helping me out.

chrsplmr
09-04-2012, 11:25 AM
Lee my pleasure, I assure you..

Im guessing without it on my desk .. but its hang'n in windows ..
taking a hard look or for something ..
Have you looked through the bios ? Is it expecting an ssd and not finding it ?
and do you have the latest drivers to the video installed ?

as to resolution/mobile display.. idk.(ill read more today) .. but right clicking
on the desktop should give you screen res. options...

It is a simple setting somewhere .. c.

LeeEang
09-05-2012, 04:14 AM
I had the latest BIOS (203) and I had the latest video driver removed (301.42) and installed the one that's on ASUS website. I had the latest driver removed because I googled it and found a forum saying that the latest driver slows down the booting speed. If you were me, what would you do? Should I just re-install the latest video card driver?

About the resolution, my question was that if it should be NVIDIA video card instead of Mobile PC? I feel like it's using on board video card instead of NVIDIA. I'll attach the photo of it.

PILGRIM
09-05-2012, 07:21 AM
I had the latest BIOS (203) and I had the latest video driver removed (301.42) and installed the one that's on ASUS website. I had the latest driver removed because I googled it and found a forum saying that the latest driver slows down the booting speed. If you were me, what would you do? Should I just re-install the latest video card driver?

Did the nVidia driver from ASUS solved your "long boot" issue?
If not, maybe you should try the later nVidia BETA versions i.e. 304.48, upwards.

Might want to read this similar issue: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?17758-OMG-pls-help-me-G74SX

About the resolution, my question was that if it should be NVIDIA video card instead of Mobile PC? I feel like it's using on board video card instead of NVIDIA. I'll attach the photo of it.

I think that's just the way Windows OS names it- Mobile PC Display.
But we know that we can configure nVidia settings in its own Control Panel.

By the way, is 1600 x 900 the highest resolution allowed on your G74?
Or is it by choice? Is your GPU the 560M 2GB model?

LeeEang
09-05-2012, 08:12 AM
Neither new or old version effects the boot time. I just re-installed it. I figured it's something else which I need to put some time into it to see what's going on that effects the booting. Thanks for the help and the links. ;)

Sadly, 1600x900 is the highest resolution I can set to. The laptop didn't come with full HD (It's 560M 2GB model). But is there any possible way to configure to a higher resolution? Just curious.

LeeEang
09-05-2012, 08:37 AM
Just restored everything back to its factory. I noticed the boot time is pretty much the same with the clean installation (that's even without disable start-up programs). Is there something wrong with the windows 7 dvd? or it is something else?

PILGRIM
09-05-2012, 08:42 AM
I saw on the web your G74 version's native resolution is the 1600x900.
Methinks it's your lower version of the GPU that's bottle-necking it..

I'm not a fan of BETA versions for the GPU, but I'm making exceptions at this time.
I've tried the 304.48 and, currently, the 306.02, and both work well on my G74.
So, I suggest you try any of them.

Also, just a shot in the dark, but you might want to repair or reinstall the Fresco 3.0 driver
for your "long boot" issue. I'd experienced an issue from it, way back- but it was a "long shutdown", though..

LeeEang
09-05-2012, 08:48 AM
I saw on the web your G74 version's native resolution is the 1600x900.
Methinks it's your lower version of the GPU that's bottle-necking it..

I'm not a fan of BETA versions for the GPU, but I'm making exceptions at this time.
I've tried the 304.48 and, currently, the 306.02, and both work well on my G74.
So, I suggest you try any of them.

Also, just a shot in the dark, but you might want to repair or reinstall the Fresco 3.0 driver
for your "long boot" issue. I'd experienced an issue from it, way back- but it was a "long shutdown", though..

I'll give the BETA version a try as well as the Fesco 3.0 driver. But do you think I should keep the factory's windows? Or should I do another clean installation? Can you also provide me the link to download the official Windows 7 from Microsoft which uses the product code underneath the laptop?

PILGRIM
09-05-2012, 02:27 PM
I would always suggest a clean Windows OS installation.
Many of us here in the Forums did this, and are happy with the result.
Also, just install the essential drivers at first, for a day or two, to test
if the laptop is trouble-free. Then you may install and test ASUS' peripheral
applications (bloatwares) that you need, one at a time.

Here's a list of the essential drivers by Brody:
Intel chipset driver
Intel RST
Intel MEI (Windows Update will eventually install this, if you don't want to do it manually)
Nvidia graphics driver
Realtek Ethernet driver
Realtek multi-card reader driver
Fresco USB driver
Wireless adapter driver
Realtek HD Audio driver
Bluetooth driver (if applicable, if wanted)
Touchpad driver
ATK Package

You can find the drivers here: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5224-Drivers-Apps-and-How-to-s
(As some of the drivers listed on the link are older, you may install the latest drivers from their own respective sites.)
The Windows 7 Home Premium w/SP1 Integrated ISO link here: http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-24209.iso

For ASUS bloatwares, I installed only the Power4Gear Hybrid, Virtual Camera, and USB Charger.
For hardware upgrades, you would be doing your laptop a favor if you upgrade your HDD into an SSD,
and the problematic Atheros Wi-Fi card into a better one (e.g. Intel Wi-Fi card).

gilbert
09-05-2012, 07:23 PM
i have the same g74sx and i also did a clean install, after switching to a ssd with any new vga driver i get a long black boot up , so i had to try some of the older ones now im running 268,37 and my boot up time is very low 17 seconds , but if i change my vga driver up again to any new one my boot up time goes up almost to a whole minute, try it you will see that it works.

PILGRIM
09-05-2012, 08:10 PM
Hi, gilbert. I referenced to the OP about the thread where you mentioned
about your laptop's peculiarity (my post #6). I understand your case is different.

But we know that newer nVidia driver updates also makes the later games (and other programs)
better, supposedly. So, I'm curious on how the newer games (if ever you play them) play on the
nVidia 268.37 version. Aren't you complaining about their playability?.. Aren't there any problem/s at all?..

gilbert
09-05-2012, 09:26 PM
Hi, gilbert. I referenced to the OP about the thread where you mentioned
about your laptop's peculiarity (my post #6). I understand your case is different.

But we know that newer nVidia driver updates also makes the later games (and other programs)
better, supposedly. So, I'm curious on how the newer games (if ever you play them) play on the
nVidia 268.37 version. Aren't you complaining about their playability?.. Aren't there any problem/s at all?..

i really don't play that many games, i have Super Street Fighter 4 and Darksiders 2 thats it , and they play great , my laptop is super fast everything works no blue screen no errors at all , but i did scored in the 9600 in 3dmark vantage with stock clocks in the 348,79 driver and in the lows 8995 with 268,37 , but im sticking with the 268,37 because everything works perfect for me , and if i ever want/need to benchmark i can easily install the 348,79 driver . (stick with what works)

LeeEang
09-05-2012, 11:10 PM
I would always suggest a clean Windows OS installation.
Many of us here in the Forums did this, and are happy with the result.
Also, just install the essential drivers at first, for a day or two, to test
if the laptop is trouble-free. Then you may install and test ASUS' peripheral
applications (bloatwares) that you need, one at a time.

Here's a list of the essential drivers by Brody:
Intel chipset driver
Intel RST
Intel MEI (Windows Update will eventually install this, if you don't want to do it manually)
Nvidia graphics driver
Realtek Ethernet driver
Realtek multi-card reader driver
Fresco USB driver
Wireless adapter driver
Realtek HD Audio driver
Bluetooth driver (if applicable, if wanted)
Touchpad driver
ATK Package

You can find the drivers here: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5224-Drivers-Apps-and-How-to-s
(As some of the drivers listed on the link are older, you may install the latest drivers from their own respective sites.)
The Windows 7 Home Premium w/SP1 Integrated ISO link here: http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-24209.iso

For ASUS bloatwares, I installed only the Power4Gear Hybrid, Virtual Camera, and USB Charger.
For hardware upgrades, you would be doing your laptop a favor if you upgrade your HDD into an SSD,
and the problematic Atheros Wi-Fi card into a better one (e.g. Intel Wi-Fi card).

Thanka PILGRIM. Just my curiosity, what difference does it make if I upgrade to better Wi-Fi card? Does it actually improve the performance? Or it just has better Wi-Fi connection? I also thought of getting SSD but then the booting time of my hard drive isn't that bad (about 30 seconds) until I had a clean installation. I wanted to wait until Black Friday to see if SSD will drop its price a bit more.

You mentioned you had Virtual Camera and USB Charger installed. What do those 2 do? I don't really understand the use of Virtual Camera. And USB charger, isn't it just charging your electronic devices like phone or ipod?

One last question, does WIndows 7 Home Premium and Ulitimate make a really big difference in performance? I was thinking of buying a genuine Windows 7 Ulitimate, but if these two aren't that much of a difference, I'll stick with Home Premium.

PILGRIM
09-06-2012, 05:32 AM
Thanka PILGRIM. Just my curiosity, what difference does it make if I upgrade to better Wi-Fi card? Does it actually improve the performance? Or it just has better Wi-Fi connection? I also thought of getting SSD but then the booting time of my hard drive isn't that bad (about 30 seconds) until I had a clean installation. I wanted to wait until Black Friday to see if SSD will drop its price a bit more.

You mentioned you had Virtual Camera and USB Charger installed. What do those 2 do? I don't really understand the use of Virtual Camera. And USB charger, isn't it just charging your electronic devices like phone or ipod?

One last question, does WIndows 7 Home Premium and Ulitimate make a really big difference in performance? I was thinking of buying a genuine Windows 7 Ulitimate, but if these two aren't that much of a difference, I'll stick with Home Premium.

The stock Atheros Wi-Fi was glitchy. Wi-Fi connection was slower.
It even made my offline game (NBA 2K12) to hang/freeze in-game.
Changed it with the much better Intel 6230 Wi-Fi card and never looked back ever since.
Don't know,.. perhaps the Atheros card works better now with a newer driver?

As our fellow member, fostert, used to say, having an SSD for our G74 is the best upgrade
we can do for it. The HDD is the bottleneck for the G74's optimal performance.

Which reminds of that Virtual Camera. I haven't used the G74's camera for ages..
Why do I still have that utility?..:confused: That's right, the USB Charger is for phone-charging.
Point is, use any of the ASUS utilities (bloatwares) that are personally deemed useful.

I've used both Windows Home Premium (currently installed) and Ultimate.
No noticeable difference in performance, big or small, IMO..
Only thing with Ultimate (and Pro version) is that it allows the G74 to upgrade
the RAM all the way up to 32 GB. I have 16 GB RAM on my system.
And I say it's already an overkill as per my computer usage.

LeeEang
09-06-2012, 05:53 AM
The stock Atheros Wi-Fi was glitchy. Wi-Fi connection was slower.
It even made my offline game (NBA 2K12) to hang/freeze in-game.
Changed it with the much better Intel 6230 Wi-Fi card and never looked back ever since.
Don't know,.. perhaps the Atheros card works better now with a newer driver?

As our fellow member, fostert, used to say, having an SSD for our G74 is the best upgrade
we can do for it. The HDD is the bottleneck for the G74's optimal performance.

Which reminds of that Virtual Camera. I haven't used the G74's camera for ages..
Why do I still have that utility?..:confused: That's right, the USB Charger is for phone-charging.
Point is, use any of the ASUS utilities (bloatwares) that are personally deemed useful.

I've used both Windows Home Premium (currently installed) and Ultimate.
No noticeable difference in performance, big or small, IMO..
Only thing with Ultimate (and Pro version) is that it allows the G74 to upgrade
the RAM all the way up to 32 GB. I have 16 GB RAM on my system.
And I say it's already an overkill as per my computer usage.

Thanks for all of the advices. I'll just stick with Home Premium since the ram isn't even used up to 8GB. Btw, what brand for SSD would you recommend? I saw a Micron Crucial 256GB but don't know if it's a trusted brand.

Have you ever tried Ubuntu on G74? I love using Ubuntu but then it didn't recognize the NVIDIA driver. All the key functions work except the brightness that wouldn't go dim even though it showed that the brightness was at the lowest. I did look up for solutions and I tried all of those but still it didn't work, so I ended up removing it.

PILGRIM
09-06-2012, 06:26 AM
I currently have the Crucial M4 128 GB as my Primary OS Drive.
I would recommend it, given its reasonable price and quality.
Just make sure to update its firmware to the latest one.

Sorry, I don't use Ubuntu. Perhaps fostert could share his thoughts on this.

LeeEang
09-06-2012, 07:02 AM
I currently have the Crucial M4 128 GB as my Primary OS Drive.
I would recommend it, given its reasonable price and quality.
Just make sure to update its firmware to the latest one.

Sorry, I don't use Ubuntu. Perhaps fostert could share his thoughts on this.

Alright. Thanks again PILGRIM for the info. I'll try to get a SSD.

fostert
09-08-2012, 06:53 PM
Have you ever tried Ubuntu on G74? I love using Ubuntu but then it didn't recognize the NVIDIA driver. All the key functions work except the brightness that wouldn't go dim even though it showed that the brightness was at the lowest. I did look up for solutions and I tried all of those but still it didn't work, so I ended up removing it.

I use Linux 24/7 on my G74 (the Debian testing distro) and have gotten most of the G74's functions (keyboard backlight, volume, screen brightness, etc) to work, but strangely the fn-F keycombos to control these things only work when GDM is loaded and I haven't logged in yet to start X. Once I log in and run a Window Manager it seems, all the key combos stop working. I have learned to set everything up how I like it upon GDM startup so its not a terrible loss.

Also using Linux has somewhat solved the NUMLOCK woes on the G74: strangely the system boots with the NUMLOCK state off (i.e. the numpad behaves like Home/PgUp/PgDown/Insert, Del,End). I can toggle the NUMLOCK on using the CAPSLOCK key (weird, eh?). But it does show that the NUMLOCK problem is completely and easily fixed: we just need ASUS to release a BIOS that remaps the NUMLOCK to the (useless) calculator key.

Anyhow, to get all this functionality I use the pre-compiled Kernel 3.2 from the Debian Testing distro. This kernel has the common ASUS key controls turned on. I also use the NVIDIA Linux drivers version 295.40. You'll need to have the the full kernel source and in particular the kernel headers installed to install the NVIDIA driver, as it compiles using these headers.

LeeEang
09-08-2012, 11:01 PM
I use Linux 24/7 on my G74 (the Debian testing distro) and have gotten most of the G74's functions (keyboard backlight, volume, screen brightness, etc) to work, but strangely the fn-F keycombos to control these things only work when GDM is loaded and I haven't logged in yet to start X. Once I log in and run a Window Manager it seems, all the key combos stop working. I have learned to set everything up how I like it upon GDM startup so its not a terrible loss.

Also using Linux has somewhat solved the NUMLOCK woes on the G74: strangely the system boots with the NUMLOCK state off (i.e. the numpad behaves like Home/PgUp/PgDown/Insert, Del,End). I can toggle the NUMLOCK on using the CAPSLOCK key (weird, eh?). But it does show that the NUMLOCK problem is completely and easily fixed: we just need ASUS to release a BIOS that remaps the NUMLOCK to the (useless) calculator key.

Anyhow, to get all this functionality I use the pre-compiled Kernel 3.2 from the Debian Testing distro. This kernel has the common ASUS key controls turned on. I also use the NVIDIA Linux drivers version 295.40. You'll need to have the the full kernel source and in particular the kernel headers installed to install the NVIDIA driver, as it compiles using these headers.

I just couldn't get Ubuntu to recognize the video card. I've tried the threads people posted on other website about the issue but it still didn't work out. So if you don't mind, please guide me through the steps. All the function keys worked fine when I had Ubuntu installed. It's just the brightness didn't change; it wouldn't lower the light.

Btw, does G74 last longer on Linux? I had Ubuntu installed on my other laptop and it gives me more battery life, that's why I wonder if it does the same thing on G74.

LeeEang
09-09-2012, 12:45 AM
On my grub menu, it was 800x600. So I'm assuming the video card doesn't support by ubuntu. Have you experienced that?

LeeEang
09-09-2012, 03:28 AM
So I decided to install Ubuntu for the third times, and still the same things happen again. From the Details, it doesn't show that NVIDIA is the graphic card; it says unknown. Fucntion keys work just fine except the brightness control. Backlight keyboard is on every time i restart (it seems like it doesn't save the changes I made). Grup menu is 800x600.

fostert
09-09-2012, 06:34 AM
Btw, does G74 last longer on Linux? I had Ubuntu installed on my other laptop and it gives me more battery life, that's why I wonder if it does the same thing on G74.

Yes it does. I experience noticeably longer battery runtimes in Linux than in Windows (I have both installed in a dual boot congifuration on my G74). Windows just runs so much crap in the background to keep itself alive. The proof? For fun I just rebooted and pared down windows 7 manually by killing all processes in the task mangler except its bare processes (i even killed svchost processes, which are your windows features like network access, etc): it still takes 1.3GB of RAM just to keep a barebones Windows 7 running. I can do the same in Linux, and guess what? It only takes 230MB of RAM to keep X windows running. I can further kill X and run Linux happily from a command line terminal alone: it only takes 160MB of RAM to do this!

So, which do you think it going to make the battery last longer?

fostert
09-09-2012, 07:10 AM
So I decided to install Ubuntu for the third times, and still the same things happen again. From the Details, it doesn't show that NVIDIA is the graphic card; it says unknown. Fucntion keys work just fine except the brightness control. Backlight keyboard is on every time i restart (it seems like it doesn't save the changes I made). Grup menu is 800x600.

What version of Ubuntu are you using? Is it older than the 560M in the G74? Try downloading the latest version of Ubuntu. Also, I know that Debian has some pre-packaged versions of NVIDIA drivers that you can install (saves you the headache of downloading them from NVIDIA and compiling them). Does Ubuntu have similar NVIDIA driver packages you could install? Run the synaptic package manager (or whatever package manager comes with Ubuntu) and search for NVIDIA.

Not too surprised you're having Nvidia troubles with Linux...they have been the single worst company for supporting the Linux community by releasing their hardware protocols for people to write drivers with. Check out Linus Torvalds' message to them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=IVpOyKCNZYw

LeeEang
09-09-2012, 08:17 AM
Yes it does. I experience noticeably longer battery runtimes in Linux than in Windows (I have both installed in a dual boot congifuration on my G74). Windows just runs so much crap in the background to keep itself alive. The proof? For fun I just rebooted and pared down windows 7 manually by killing all processes in the task mangler except its bare processes (i even killed svchost processes, which are your windows features like network access, etc): it still takes 1.3GB of RAM just to keep a barebones Windows 7 running. I can do the same in Linux, and guess what? It only takes 230MB of RAM to keep X windows running. I can further kill X and run Linux happily from a command line terminal alone: it only takes 160MB of RAM to do this!

So, which do you think it going to make the battery last longer?

It makes a lot of sense. Windows has a lot of craps running at the background while Linux runs only the things needed to operate an OS.

LeeEang
09-09-2012, 08:26 AM
What version of Ubuntu are you using? Is it older than the 560M in the G74? Try downloading the latest version of Ubuntu. Also, I know that Debian has some pre-packaged versions of NVIDIA drivers that you can install (saves you the headache of downloading them from NVIDIA and compiling them). Does Ubuntu have similar NVIDIA driver packages you could install? Run the synaptic package manager (or whatever package manager comes with Ubuntu) and search for NVIDIA.

Not too surprised you're having Nvidia troubles with Linux...they have been the single worst company for supporting the Linux community by releasing their hardware protocols for people to write drivers with. Check out Linus Torvalds' message to them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=IVpOyKCNZYw

I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 LT and it does have the driver packages for NVIDIA but those packages are out of dated. So I manually installed them on my own (which I finally figured out by today) but it didn't and still doesn't recognize by Ubuntu. Everything is still the same; grup and booting logo are in 800x600 resolution; brightness doesn't work until the laptop suspends; and all changes aren't saved. I already posted this problem in Askubuntu.com but no one seems to know how to fix it. Btw, the video is cool.

Anyway, I heard new update for Ubuntu is coming up this October, so I hope it would work with G74 better.

Bundy_Drop_Bear
09-17-2012, 02:38 PM
hey i did a clean install tonight had to make a backup of me WIn7 Ultimate DVD and remove that ie.cfg file so when i ran the Backup I could choose the HP install of the disc and not Ultimate.

LeeEang
09-18-2012, 08:14 AM
hey i did a clean install tonight had to make a backup of me WIn7 Ultimate DVD and remove that ie.cfg file so when i ran the Backup I could choose the HP install of the disc and not Ultimate.

So, do I just basically delete ie.cfg file to allow the Windows to let me choose which edition i want to?

mellow
11-18-2012, 07:44 AM
i have the exact same model. your laptop comes with a raid0 setup. if you wipe ur recovery partition and use the recovery discs, it will not recreate the raid setup. in case you dont know what raid is, its using more than one drive to either increase performance or stability through redundancy. raid0 is 2 or more drives acting as one drive, so everything loads twice as fast, or 3 or 4 depending on how many drives you have striped.

i read somewhere that it doesnt come like that factory, maybe having something to do with your model being a best buy exclusive deal.

im dealing with this right now myself, but cant seem to figure out if its a hardware or software raid option. my project tonight is reading through all the crap advice in hopes of finding something in here that will help.

if you have the best buy warranty, this is considered a mail in fix. its to complicated for most of their employees, but ive noticed they most try to keep at least one person around that actually knows what theyre doing. if you take it in, youll probably get the immediate 'we can send it in to real techs' response. if there is someone there that knows more, you have to actually ask for them to check.

as to the other responses, if its tweaking your computer, then it would have ran just as slow before you reinstalled everything. maybe there is a driver that was updated during the reinstall that wasnt available before the wipe, but i dunno.

here's to learning everything on your own to fix simple problems because of cheap tech support.

anywho, let me know if you find anything else out, like i said, ive got the same issue.

o yea... if you look at your file tree, it will normally say you have 2 hard drives, one named C: . if you have one named C:, but it still lists 2 more hard drives, then you probably have a raid0. If not, then your laptop is no longer partitioned the way you got it, and it will take twice as long to boot up.

let me know here and ill keep posting whatever i find out if you want.