PDA

View Full Version : Need help with some sound card questions.

bradsimmo
09-03-2012, 04:19 AM
Hi guys,
I'm trying to work out which would have the best sound out of Asus Rog Vulcan pro's , razer tiamat 7.1 or astro a50's.
For starters is it possible to get any benefits on the astro a50s with an addition sound card as well as the mix amp? Is this even possible to do?.
If I were to get the vulcan or tiamats I'd proberly have to buy the Asus STX sound card from what I've read... Or the Rog Pheobus :P .
I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to sound and want my sound to be the best as possible without spending huge amounts of money so any advise I'm willing to listen to.
I'm leaning towards the A50's as I can use them on my xbox too which would be more versatile for me, As well as being wireless of course.
Cheers.

thetruth1983
09-03-2012, 06:56 AM
What's your budget? The A50s are $300 and the Tiamat/Phoebus will be close to $400. Also, there are a lot of problems with the A50s right now. Just check their forums. They have had my pair for 2 weeks for repair and I don't even know when I will get them back. My Tiamats are nice especially with the Phoebus but I could never get them to sound right for music so if you go that route, I would advice picking up a separate headset for music (that's if you really care about the sound quality).

bradsimmo
09-03-2012, 08:21 AM
Hey thanks for responding :).
My budget it high and I thought the a50 were pretty cool with the stand it comes with also. Will adding a sound card improve their performance though???.
I've considered the tiamats and even the tiamats 2.1's which is better hands down do you think a50 or tiamats?

thetruth1983
09-03-2012, 08:49 AM
The A50s were pretty cool when I had them but like I mentioned before, there are still problems with them. If I were you, I would wait a month and keep checking their forums to see when all the problems are resolved. You don't need a expensive sound card if you go with the A50s. You just need any sound card that supports Dolby Digital live since the mixamp would be doing all of the decoding. I have not used the Tiamat 2.1s but I do know that the Tiamat 7.1s sound nice with the Phoebus. I wouldn't use the tiamat with any old onboard sound card so you will have to invest in a good one. The downside of the Tiamats is that they can only work with the PC while the A50s can work with anything with a optical port (pc, ps3, xbox, etc…). I also feel that the A50s are lighter and more comfortable than the Tiamats.

bradsimmo
09-04-2012, 06:42 AM
hey thanks for the info man! Its sad to see so many issues with the a50's. By having a dedicated sound card is there anything to gain with the a50's or is onboard fine if it has dolby digital live. I have a motherboard at the moment with dts onboard but wondering if dedicated would help be quite a bit. Cheers

bradsimmo
09-04-2012, 06:43 AM
hey thanks for the info man! Its sad to see so many issues with the a50's. By having a dedicated sound card is there anything to gain with the a50's or is onboard fine if it has dolby digital live. I have a motherboard at the moment with dts onboard but wondering if dedicated would help be quite a bit. Cheers

thetruth1983
09-05-2012, 03:48 AM
As I understand it, DDL is the same 16 bit/48KHZ signal no matter what card you use. There are not a ton of motherboards that support DDL and I'm pretty sure the A50s don't support DTS. It will however accept 2 channel PCM. You can just buy a cheap DDL card and not notice a difference since the mixamp would be doing the decoding.