PDA

View Full Version : G55 Cooling System

hlorenzl
09-03-2012, 06:45 PM
Hello! I would like to know on which part of the laptop take in air for its cooling system. I have a G55VW.
I would like to know of this because I am planning to buy a silicon keyboard protector. If the keyboard is part of the air intake, then it would be bad to cover it with silicone protector.

micromachine
09-03-2012, 08:12 PM
yes, I would like to know as well. dust is my enemy.

_
09-04-2012, 07:04 AM
It's underneath - there are vents in the base. :)

keiiiii
09-04-2012, 10:15 AM
Is there a need to get cooler pads to blow air from beneath the laptop then?

c_man
09-04-2012, 11:26 AM
No need...

hlorenzl
09-04-2012, 06:39 PM
It's underneath - there are vents in the base. :)

I see.. Thank you very much for the information sir. I actually have not yet looked at every holes at the bottom of the laptop. :o

In that case, there should be something underneath to protect the cooling system from picking up dusts and other light particles that might decrease its cooling efficiency. Maybe passive cooling pads or placing caps underneath to elevate the laptop might work.. Will do a test maybe next week and post here the results.

hlorenzl
09-04-2012, 06:43 PM
No need...

I see. I was actually planning to buy one but now I might just reconsider it. I just wonder why did you say that it is not needed sir? Does it have no effect at all? :confused:

Zygomorphic
09-05-2012, 12:43 AM
The G-series cooling is that good. Flat on desk is 40-45 C at idle 50-55 (I think) at load ... GPU is higher (60-65 C). I had a chill-pad and it did no good. Then again, I had a G53SX.

mrwolf
09-05-2012, 12:47 AM
Ye chillpads or cooling matts are useless..

If you want a real difference in temperatures you need to drill a few holes through the back cover where the fans are and then add some kind of filter so you dont get too much dust coming through.. That makes the biggest difference in temps compared to any other cooling method so far. Very useful for overclocking :)

c_man
09-05-2012, 06:55 AM
I see. I was actually planning to buy one but now I might just reconsider it. I just wonder why did you say that it is not needed sir? Does it have no effect at all? :confused:

Yes, it's only more noise, no real temp drop on G series.

mrwolf
09-05-2012, 07:20 PM
Here is my custom cooling solution for my G75 :cool:

c_man
09-05-2012, 08:36 PM
So how are the results?

mrwolf
09-05-2012, 09:37 PM
Ok so after like an hour of playing planetside 2 i was averaging around 73-75 where normally my GPU is constantly at 75-76.

However i realised that this is probably due to the filter i attached on the outside. its a big and is clearly reducing the air intake. Although i put my hand on the back where the holes are and it felt really cool while the inside fan was running at medium-high speeds so their is definatly a good amount of suction.

Im gonna attatch the filter to the inside now somehow so that there is nothin blocking air from the bottom and let you guys know my results then..

mrwolf
09-06-2012, 12:15 AM
Ok, so i took off the polyurethane filter and left on the mesh filter and wow, what a difference :D

My GPU did not go over 70.. thats all i need to say.. And i was playing for longer this time, and temps stayed ice cool where normally it would hit 78 sometimes..

john_from_ohio
09-06-2012, 01:36 AM
Ok, so i took off the polyurethane filter and left on the mesh filter and wow, what a difference :D

Creative ... nice impact ... but I ain't letting you near my Oracle database servers sorry!

rewben
09-06-2012, 05:40 AM
@mrwolf, very nice :D

ggBanks
09-06-2012, 05:48 AM
I would never make wholes in my baby :(

mrwolf
09-06-2012, 11:33 AM
:cool: It should come like this stock in my honest opinion. Because the advanced cooling system is highly highly under-utilized without the ventilation holes.. It allows a great deal of fresh air to come in with the powerful dual fans and cool the GPU :)

Without this, your system is just cycling around hot/warm air inside you laptop and throwing it out the back lol :s

hlorenzl
09-06-2012, 02:06 PM
Ye chillpads or cooling matts are useless..

If you want a real difference in temperatures you need to drill a few holes through the back cover where the fans are and then add some kind of filter so you dont get too much dust coming through.. That makes the biggest difference in temps compared to any other cooling method so far. Very useful for overclocking :)

Well, that would mean a voided warranty I guess?hehe Did you do that to your unit sir? :D

EDIT:
I just read your other posts, and it looks really cool. I guess I can't do that to my G55 however.haha 'coz that would mean like boring holes on the main bottom cover. Sadly, G55s don't come with separate covers for the fans. I hope the devs would put something like the G75s for maintenance purposes and indirectly more customization options for the users. Hmmm I hope Asus devs/engs will consider this. sir @MarshallR@ASUS? :)

hlorenzl
09-06-2012, 02:19 PM
The G-series cooling is that good. Flat on desk is 40-45 C at idle 50-55 (I think) at load ... GPU is higher (60-65 C). I had a chill-pad and it did no good. Then again, I had a G53SX.

I must admit that the cooling systems of the G55 is far better that any other laptop models i've used. My previous PC was HP dv5and the palm rest gets really hot when I play games such as HAWX 1 and Dragon Age. The G55's cooling sys on the other hand is much better even when playing at high res, you won't feel any hot part except at its exhaust. The temps are 47-53 deg C for the CPU and 40-41 deg C for the GPU - in my case, Im in a tropical country and it's quite hot this morning; Im running WMP, 3 tabs in g.chrome, hwinf64, utorrent, and the usual background apps.

hlorenzl
09-06-2012, 02:21 PM
Yes, it's only more noise, no real temp drop on G series.

Ok, thank you for the info. I won't buy one then. I'll just use my money on other upgrades or accessories. :)