PDA

View Full Version : Debian on G75V

CaptainStone
09-04-2012, 09:34 PM
Hi folks,

is there anyone out there, who got it to run?

I try since days and have a lot of problems.

- Grub down want to be installed at the SSD
- I always have to run 'nvidia-xconfig' every start, otherwise there is just an empty screen without menus
- wireless mouse is just sometimes working,
etc, etc.

Hope I can find an companion in misfortune,

the Captain

P.S. Installed Debian wheezy with Gnome 3

d-Metrius
09-05-2012, 04:35 AM
I really love Debian on my servers, but I don't get why you need it on a gaming notebook =)

Zygomorphic
09-05-2012, 08:54 AM
Because I for instance like the idea of software being free (and free to modify). Driver compatibility with LINUX for home laptops is pretty much a non-argument. My G53SX runs perfectly from a stock install of Ubuntu.

pootle
09-05-2012, 09:14 AM
@Korky: I run ubuntu on my (not yet G55) laptop and have done for years. It boots faster, runs faster, installs faster and updates faster, as well as being better for some specific things I do like androoid development. I do still run windoze a couple of times a week for apps that won't run on linux, but ubuntu accounts for 80 - 90% of my switched on time.

@captainStone: G55 & G75 should be good because they don't do graphics switching, and while folks have had a few problems, these seem to be getting fixed or have workarounds pretty quickly see here (http://www.linlap.com/wiki/asus+g55vw) http://www.linlap.com/wiki/asus+g75vw for example

CaptainStone
09-05-2012, 12:41 PM
I really love Debian on my servers, but I don't get why you need it on a gaming notebook =)

:-) I'm not a gamer. But you are right, I've should inform myself about the Linux compatibility before.

BrandeX
09-06-2012, 04:41 AM
Use Ubuntu or Mint instead, they are a bit more polished versions of Debian. I used to run ubuntu on my other laptop. It always worked flawlessly right from install. No monkeying around that everyone seems to think Linux is still in the last decade.

Zygomorphic
09-06-2012, 08:25 AM
I am going to give Ubuntu 12.04.1 another go. I left the Ubuntu camp because since Ubuntu 10.10 the quality of each release was worse than the one before it. They got so bad that it was unusable. I went to Fedora, which works well, but is much harder to configure everything, and getting the nVidia drivers working is all but impossible ... for me at least. Maybe with the slight version change things will get better ... I'll see and post my thoughts when I get it installed.

CaptainStone
09-06-2012, 09:32 AM
I'm using Debian since many years now. Ok, it's true, it's a bit more work at the beginning to get a good running system, but after them, I don't want to miss it.

Ubuntu is really great for guys who chance from Windows. But I prefer a system, that's not changing all the time everything. The first Gnome 3 with Ubuntu was a mass... That's why Debian testing is my way. Still stable and not so old then Debian stable ;-)

Back to my question. I see there is not really someone who installed a Linux on a G75. So I will move on to another forum. Thank's guys for your answers,

The Captain

tagrat
09-06-2012, 11:30 AM
I am going to give Ubuntu 12.04.1 another go. I left the Ubuntu camp because since Ubuntu 10.10 the quality of each release was worse than the one before it. They got so bad that it was unusable. I went to Fedora, which works well, but is much harder to configure everything, and getting the nVidia drivers working is all but impossible ... for me at least. Maybe with the slight version change things will get better ... I'll see and post my thoughts when I get it installed.

I've gotten tired of Ubuntu myself - I hate the new UI. I switched to Mint. Might I suggest running virtualbox on the laptop and mint as a guest? That's what I do and it runs extremely well. No muss, no fuss, don't gather no dust.

HrKristian
09-06-2012, 12:02 PM
Hi folks,

is there anyone out there, who got it to run?

I try since days and have a lot of problems.

- Grub down want to be installed at the SSD
- I always have to run 'nvidia-xconfig' every start, otherwise there is just an empty screen without menus
- wireless mouse is just sometimes working,
etc, etc.

Hope I can find an companion in misfortune,

the Captain

P.S. Installed Debian wheezy with Gnome 3
I'm fairly certain your difficulty with GRUB is because of ASUS' weird partitoning, something to do with the recovery thing (completely useless peice of crap)
If possible for you, I would suggest booting into a live session and just repartition and format it to hell and back, create a new GPT table etc with gdisk if you're handy with the command line.
Otherwise I'm sure gparted in a ubuntu live session will do the trick.

EDIT: Are you able to install Debian btw? Ubuntu "Boot Repair" might be able to get GRUB working from a live session afterwards.

Mr Flibble
09-06-2012, 01:13 PM
- Grub down want to be installed at the SSD - Change GPT to MBR

- wireless mouse is just sometimes working - try this from
http://askubuntu.com/questions/108006/why-dont-etron-usb-3-0-controllers-ports-work-asus-p8z68-v-and-other-motherbo/122859#122859

sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
where is write

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
change in

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash pci=nomsi"
save and write

sudo update-grub

reboot the usb 3 ports should be working now.

Zygomorphic
09-06-2012, 08:25 PM
I've gotten tired of Ubuntu myself - I hate the new UI. I switched to Mint. Might I suggest running virtualbox on the laptop and mint as a guest? That's what I do and it runs extremely well. No muss, no fuss, don't gather no dust.

I do that too...but in the interests of software freedom I like the ability to run without Windows...and I like the performance bare-metal provides. Sure, I know that on my flame-thrower laptop a Win8 VM is faster than my old laptop :cool:, but native Win 8 (and LINUX) is faster still.

Thinking about Mint, may try if Ubuntu 12.04.1 is still as unstable as Ubuntu 12.04 was. Will definitely switch Ubuntu to LXDE desktop though! I tried Kubuntu, but the stability is/was pretty bad. It seems that adding the other DMs later is more stable.

CaptainStone
09-07-2012, 12:37 PM
Hi Mr. Flibble,

- Change GPT to MBR

Good idea. But I ask myself, if my Windows recovery CD's are still working after changing to MBR. Because I still want to have a small partition with Windows. What will Windows say, if there is not GPT anymore?

- try this from
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
change in
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash pci=nomsi"

reboot the usb 3 ports should be working now.

Great :-) It's working. I'm wondering a bit, because USB 3.0 was working with a calbe Mouse and also USB 3.0 Harddisk. But now I also have access to the wireless Logitech Mouse. Thanks a lot for the hint!

The Captain

rabbert.klein
09-07-2012, 08:55 PM
I've gotten Kubuntu 12.04 running on my laptop currently.

I've got full nVidia support with the 304.43 drivers, Fn Keys work mostly, brightness controls and all that good stuff.

I've even gotten Wine installed, Steam and a couple of my Windows games working. I can do a write up on what exactly I did to get it working because it is not the easiest in the world and I cannot help with Ubuntu as I hate Unity and prefer KDE so the instuctions would be talored to Kubuntu.

Zygomorphic
09-07-2012, 09:25 PM
I might take you up on it if I can't get everything configured myself...best way to learn is to try. :)

rabbert.klein
09-07-2012, 09:34 PM
Because I still want to have a small partition with Windows. What will Windows say, if there is not GPT anymore?
The Captain

Oops missed this part.......

I ended up installing WIndows 7 within a Oricle VirtualBox and went GPT, Single partition with no dual booting for my Linux install so I guess I can't help :P

Zygomorphic
09-11-2012, 01:00 AM
Running Ubuntu 12.04.1 on my G53SX - perfection out of the box. Canonical finally got it right! Looks great, runs great, glad it finally got fixed! :)

rabbert.klein
09-11-2012, 08:43 PM
Running Ubuntu 12.04.1 on my G53SX - perfection out of the box. Canonical finally got it right! Looks great, runs great, glad it finally got fixed! :)

Now all we need is Valve to release the Linux Steam client!

Zygomorphic
09-12-2012, 01:19 AM
Now all we need is Valve to release the Linux Steam client!

Or we need WINE to up the ante! I use LINUX for all my needs, it works very well and the price is right! I have configured the system to use as little as 350-400 MB of RAM at idle desktop...seen that on Windows lately? :D

CaptainStone
09-12-2012, 11:01 AM
I've got full nVidia support with the 304.43 drivers, Fn Keys work mostly, brightness controls and all that good stuff.

The nVidia driver works really fine. But I miss access to most of the Fn Keys (brightness, sound, etc.). Did you some configuration by your own to fix that?

The Captain

rabbert.klein
09-12-2012, 10:16 PM
The nVidia driver works really fine. But I miss access to most of the Fn Keys (brightness, sound, etc.). Did you some configuration by your own to fix that?

The Captain

I did have to do anything to get the wireless, vol up/down and vol mute to work but there are some things that need to be done in order to get brightness working.

Here is what I had to do to get that working, note that I'm running Kubuntu so this may not apply exactly to Ubuntu.

1. navigate to /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d
2. Do a "ls" to see if you have a xorg.conf there (I've learned that the newer versions of xorg are not dependant on this file anymore)
2. if one exists edit it as sudo in your editor of choice, if not create one with that editor.
3. Append or add the following into the file:

# xorg.xconf to add mointor brightness controls

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
Option "DPI" "90 x 90"
Option "RegistryDwords" "EnableBrightnessControl=1"
Option "nologo" "true"
EndSection

The DPI option reduces the fonts system wide to the normal 90 x 90 and isn't required, the nologo removes the nvidia splash if you see it at boot which I did.

The line: Option "RegistryDwords" "EnableBrightnessControl=1" is what physically enables the brightness up and down

So in theory all you would need if you don't care about my other options

# xorg.xconf to add mointor brightness controls

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
EndSection

4. Save it
5. Restart X or reboot

Zygomorphic
09-13-2012, 01:25 AM
Edited your post so that people could read it. Thanks for the advice - +1 rep! :)

CaptainStone
09-13-2012, 11:47 AM
Hi rabbat.klein (what does it mean?)

In Debian I changed the /etc/X11/xorg.conf with your new Screen Parameters and it's working perfectly ;-)
Thanks a lot for this hint!

And I'm boltly enough to ask you, how did you fix the volume FN keys?

The Captain

rabbert.klein
09-14-2012, 04:59 AM
Hi rabbat.klein (what does it mean?)

In Debian I changed the /etc/X11/xorg.conf with your new Screen Parameters and it's working perfectly ;-)
Thanks a lot for this hint!

And I'm boltly enough to ask you, how did you fix the volume FN keys?

The Captain

Rabbert Klein, it is the name Archer gave the Rabbit that Dr. Krieger installed the Russian Mind Control chip in S02 E02.

http://archer.wikia.com/wiki/Rabbert_Klein

As far as the volume Fn keys go they just worked out of the box, although I think it has a lot to do with the x.org edgers PPA I added to my distro https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa

I cannot find anything specific to Debian though, though I do know that this is what installed the Linux 3.5 Kernel on my system which in turn seems to be what is detecting the Fn keys.

jedsdesk
04-24-2013, 01:19 AM
@ The Captain: If your running a Debian based distro, you can install the volumeicon-alsa tool. To do so, from the terminal do a "sudo apt-get install volumeicon-alsa" (without the quotes obviously) On your next login you should have a speaker icon on your desktop in your systray. If not you can also try from the terminal just typing "volumeicon". Anyway, if you see the speaker you can right-click it select preferences and at the bottom select the three checkboxes. This SHOULD enable the FN-F10-F12 shortcut keys! I also select the option of left-click opening the slider instead of 'muting'. I'm running a Debian based distro called VSIDO which you can find at vsido.org. We have a great little Linux community and offer 32 bit and 64 bit versions of the distro. My lappy runs it great! Installs in about 5 minutes, and using the Fluxbox WM I've booted in using as little as 65Mb of RAM!