PDA

View Full Version : G55VW & Windows 8

Forgottenbhs
09-06-2012, 09:03 PM
Has anyone here tried to install Windows 8 on the G55VW or even the G75VW? I hate the interface of the new OS but love the fact that it uses a lot less resources compared to Windows 7.

madnj
09-11-2012, 05:21 PM
Windows 8 runs great, just don't install the Network drivers (Atheros) or you'll get repeated bluescreens on boot (I did). I was able to rollback and excluding that, the power4gear utility, and the bluetooth driver package I was able to get everything else running perfectly.

You have to understand/expect that not all drivers/applications will work perfectly out of the box (I had to switch to Shrew VPN client because my Cisco client didn't play well with W8), but most applications work without issue.

I guess a lot of it comes down to how savvy are you with new OS installations and can you work through a few minor driver/compatibility issues. If you aren't sure, install it to a seperate drive/partition first.

All that said, I would not go back to Windows 7 personally after having acquainted myself with Windows 8 from the Consumer Preview, Release Preview, and now the RTM.

rabbert.klein
09-11-2012, 09:09 PM
I installed the Consumer Preview and honestly tried to give it a chance but by the end of the second week I was so disgusted by the new user interface that I edited HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Winlogon\shell from explorer.exe to cmd.exe just to make the system usable until I could install Linux.

Can't play games because of work and school anyway so I'm really not missing Windows 7 at all after seeing WIndows 8.

Zygomorphic
09-12-2012, 01:11 AM
I run the Win 8 RTM on my G53SX, and it runs well ... technically speaking. Faster boots - yes. Less resource hungry - kind of. More usable/reimagining Windows - not. On tablets I see this taking off, on the desktop, not a chance.

dotvezz
09-12-2012, 09:05 AM
Yep, I've got Windows 8 Professional, not the preview (MSDN and some Dreamspark members get it early, apparently. I did =D)

It runs perfectly, but ASUS needs to give us proper drivers for the keyboard hotkeys. Only the screen dim keys work for me. I may need to reinstall the driver though.

Zygomorphic
09-12-2012, 10:11 AM
The RTM and professional I think are the same. RTM just doesn't have all the drivers pre-installed.

Forgottenbhs
09-25-2012, 06:10 AM
Sounds great, thanks for a the replies and I'm sorry but I've been a bit busy and forgot to check on this thread.

I'm very computer savvy and I've been wanting to toy around with Windows 8 for a while now. I installed the Consumer Preview when it was first available but there were so many bugs back then that I just gave up on it until something more stable came along. I've heard really good things about Windows 8 and I guess i'm just worried that I won't get used to it, afterall, I cannot stand the new UI.

Zygomorphic
09-25-2012, 10:04 AM
There are registry tweaks to bring up the regular desktop by default, which is good. I tend to agree with you, when you have a bunch of utilities installed...development tools?? The Metro UI gets quite cluttered.