PDA

View Full Version : USB Fails

Cactus
09-06-2012, 10:04 PM
I have a G75VW-TS72 that's about 3 weeks old. Recently bought a Corsair Voyager USB 3.0 32GB thumb drive. When I copy files to this drive, after a minute or two, the copy fails with a message that the destination device is not found. Windows 7 has "lost contact" with the drive. If I remove and reinsert the drive, it is seen again, and the files that copied before the error are there. I have the USB 3.0 drivers currently on the ASUS support site. This drive works fine on an older machine with USB 3.0 and Windows XP.

This is the second Corsair drive that has done this; I had the first one replaced by RMA.

I have no other machines with a USB 3.0 port to try the drive in, nor do I have any other USB 3.0 drives to try. I have a number of USB 2.0 thumb drives and external hard drives, all of which work perfectly well in the G75.

Has anyone else seen this issue? Any suggestions for a fix?

Thanks,
Cactus

cl-scott
09-06-2012, 10:28 PM
I'd really like to see this unit tested with another USB 3.0 device to make sure it really is the port before suggesting you send it in for an RMA. It very well could just be some kind of fluke. One of those rare cases where Device X and Computer Y just don't get along.

Clintlgm
09-07-2012, 01:59 AM
In the beginning i had problems with USB 3.0. The solution was to install the latest Chipset drivers from Intel. Install the latest USB 3.0 Drivers from Intel. Then there is some issue with Asus Charger Plus. I just un installed it rebooted and reinstalled it. No more problems with USB 3.0 or 2.0. All my issues were with external hard drive enclosures. I did have some bad cables but the updated drivers and un installing and reinstalling the Charger plus solved all problems for me. I now have a Patroit Supersonic 32 gb USB 3.0 thumb drive and it kicks transfers data at 60mbs

ggBanks
09-07-2012, 07:53 AM
I have a similar problem on my G55! When i plug any device in the left side 2 USB 3.0-s the icon in the tray for safety remove does not appear but when i use the right 2 3.0 USBs it shows the icon. I don't know if the chip-set can't recognize if there is a device plugged in or what but it works I can plug my mouse and use it or can transfer data but still the icon does not appear in the tray. I don't know why but it is kind of frustrating and sometimes I cant be sure if I can remove the device safely. Any suggestions please?

Clintlgm
09-07-2012, 01:37 PM
earlier thread http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?18855-USB-3-Problems I solve these same USB problems in this thread. There seems to be a problem with power supply to the USB Ports if the ASUS Charger Plus driver is not working properly. Uninstalling from Control Panel rebooting and reinstalling the charger plus software worked for me.

Cactus
09-07-2012, 06:27 PM
Thanks for all the comments, guys. I was using the ports on the left, didn't even think to try the right side, as mentioned by ggBanks. The drive works just fine on the right, so at least I know it's not a failing drive.

After reading your comments, I tried uninstalling the ASUS Charger Plus app, since I rarely charge any devices from the laptop, but that didn't help. I installed the latest USB 3.0 drivers from Intel, still no fix.

I'm asking around friends to see if anyone has a USB 3.0 drive I can borrow to test, so far, no one has anything. I may just buy another thumb drive of a different brand to try. In the meantime, I think I can live with using only the ports on the right side, but if anyone comes up with another solution, I'd sure like for all my ports to work correctly!

Cactus

Clintlgm
09-07-2012, 08:13 PM
All 4 of my ports work USB 3.0 at least with my USB Thumb drive and hard drive enclosures. They stay connected. None of them did in the beginning. Glad to hear you at least got it to work on one side.

Cactus
09-16-2012, 08:31 PM
I got a 16GB Patriot XT Supersonic USB 3.0 drive to test. This drive works in all four USB 3.0 ports, so it appears there's some incompatibility between the ASUS ports (at least the left side) and certain brand / model USB drives.

Jack

Zygomorphic
09-17-2012, 01:13 AM
USB 3.0 is still pretty new, so the compatibility glitches have not all been worked out. Glad to hear that the computer works though!

Cactus
09-18-2012, 01:07 PM
USB 3.0 is still pretty new, so the compatibility glitches have not all been worked out. Glad to hear that the computer works though!
Zygomorphic - I can agree with that, to an extent, but why would the ports on the left side have compatibility glitches but not the ports on the right side? I would think all the ports on a machine would be the same.

Jack

Yellow44
09-18-2012, 05:32 PM
Zygomorphic - I can agree with that, to an extent, but why would the ports on the left side have compatibility glitches but not the ports on the right side? I would think all the ports on a machine would be the same.

Jack

I have heard that the chipsets of these boards and a lot of motherboards only support two USB 3.0 ports natively and any more are implemented using other extra hardware. If that is the case this other hardware might need different drivers.

I have not yet tried the fix that involves installing different chipset drivers, there is an update to the ones I have, as well as reinstalling the USB charging driver. I'll report back when I try this.

Clintlgm
09-18-2012, 06:58 PM
Yes the chipset drivers and USB 3.0 driver you get from the Intel site for the latest, I don't know which solved my problems as I just did all three. Several people stated that after driver upgrades the Asus Charger Plus driver needs to be refreshed. The best I could figure was to just uninstall and reinstall. That also let me move it off my C: drive. As to whether all four are USB 3.0 all mine are blue ports and transfer are at 3.0 with 3.0 devices. If a 3.0 device is plugged in and it isn't picked up as 3.0 you'll get a notice that it can work at a higher speed is connected to a 3.0 port that has happen a couple of times. I just unplugged and replugged in same port and all went as expected. The ports are very sensitive and not all cables are created equal when it comes to USB 3.0. It is faster but not that much faster for me. Nothing like going from USB 1 to USB 2 was or as eSATA still is.

Zygomorphic
09-18-2012, 09:01 PM
eSATA is so fast because it is DMA based, unlike USB. Similar reasons as to why Firewire is so fast, it uses specialty controllers and DMA interrupts to assure a certain speed of transfer. USB says you get what you get.

Clintlgm
09-18-2012, 09:17 PM
Yes far from advertised I think it will be awhile before we even see SATA hard drive speeds much less the 5GB that is touted with USB 3.0. Personally I wonder how long these ports are going to last anyway as I understand it what we have is 4 extra pins in the port and they are very short thus the connection problems some of us have already seen. For me 2 out of 5 New USB 3.0 cables NFG out of the box.

Zygomorphic
09-19-2012, 02:09 AM
I don't know either. USB 2.0 is good enough, and much more reliable. eSATA is lots faster, and only HDDs saturate USB 2.0 speeds. USB 3.0 is more helpful from the amount of current it can source, not the speeds at which it can run.

finalhour
09-19-2012, 03:19 PM
Not on a 55, (I have a G75) but I had an issue with the USB ports after I used the ASUS recovery to recover a new G75 to install the OS on my SSD. What had happened was that during the install, the USB 3.0-related stuff (sorry not THAT savvy with drivers) somehow got corrupted, at the OS level. So while everything else worked fine, I couldn't get the drives to stay mounted. In the end I decided that it HAD to be OS related, so I did a new recovery and turns out something just flubbed up in the initial one. So the point here is this: if all else fails, it's more than likely not the thumbdrive, but something that is messed up in your windows install/drivers that could be fixed by reinstalling/resetting to the factory conditions (or if you're like me just redoing the whole process again).

Dunno if this helps...

paul.bww
11-13-2013, 07:03 PM
Hello. I have the same issue as you do. On the right side, my Samsung M3 portable HDD works just fine on 3.0, but when I plug it on the left hand ports windows won't even detect it. The HDD however starts spinning. If I reboot with it plugged in, it works. The ports work fine with 2.0 drives, so I guess it's a power-related issue. Did you manage to find a solution, or RMA is the way to go?

Thank you

Clintlgm
11-13-2013, 07:28 PM
Left side ports are on a daughter board. If none of the fixes in this forum don't fix it you'll have to RMA it. The Main problems were the Asus Charger Plus software, Use the latest Intel USB 3.0 driver. If your on win 8 the usb 3 driver is native to windows. I'm not having any problems using that driver so haven't looked into if Intel wrote a driver for Win 8, I don't think so.