PDA

View Full Version : GPT -> MBR: what will I loose, what will cease to work?

d-Metrius
09-07-2012, 12:46 PM
What will I loose and what will cease to work if I turn off UEFI boot in BIOS and repartition my disks (2x750) to MBR?

rewben
09-07-2012, 02:20 PM
for a user who knows what to do to his machine, there is nothing to lose. however, if a user that can only depend on vendor-provided recovery procedures to restore their OS, they might need that.

(i think i read it somewhere that microsoft enforces the use of gpt and uefi for every windows machines produced by the vendors).

gpt and uefi are robust, but most of us do not require those features daily, and still live happily.

fc2462
09-07-2012, 05:44 PM
Has anyone tried to convert a GPT disk to MBR without reformatting?

I found this software but I don't want to be the first one to try it, LOL.

http://www.extend-partition.com/help/convert-gpt-mbr-disk.html

d-Metrius
09-08-2012, 04:32 AM
Thanks for your replies, two more questions:

1) Will ASUS Recovery DVDs still be able to recovery factory state with MBR instead of GPT?
2) Can I make a fresh install using MSDN Win7 Home Premium Image and activate it using OEM serial number from the notebook sticker?

Fridolin
09-13-2012, 05:45 AM
I've just gave this anwser in another thread with the same problem. So here it comes again.

You can convert it to MBR with a program called "Aomei Dynamic Disk Manager" from Aomei Technology.
It makes the conversion from the windows enviroment, and do it without dataloss.
Just remember to check the boot settings in bios, otherwise You might get the following error:
Bootmgr is missing
Press ctrl-alt-del to restart.
If You get the error, then change boot settings in bios.
I've been there, and done that, so good luck.........

generic
02-15-2013, 10:27 AM
Limitation of "Aomei Dynamic Disk Manager" in the demo version:

"DEMO LIMITATION: The demo version can not commit operations to disk. "

So, $62 to convert your disc. I'll reinstall :)

Clintlgm
02-15-2013, 02:30 PM
Mini tool Partition magic is free and they claim to be able to make the conversion, I have not tried this but the option is there in the program? I've used this program for most other disk operations with out issues.

rewben
02-15-2013, 03:45 PM
thanks @Clintlgm for the alternative. i never used these tools before, so i have no clue what to recommend.

Clintlgm
02-15-2013, 08:20 PM
Rewben, This tool is the old Partition Magic up graded for current use. When I fired it up to move some partitions around I was completely at home with it.

tkolarik
02-16-2013, 06:46 AM
I looked in to converting a GPT disk to MBR because my Windows Home Server could not backup GPT partitions. I could not find anything that worked,at least for free. I say the Aomei product but the cost was way to high. I just burned the backup discs and there was another file location on the hard drive that stored the backup drivers and software (cant remember the name right now...on the TF101) and did a clean install.

Supposedly Windows 8 should boot faster with Gpt partition because it doesnt completely dismount the boot drive so it doesnt have to remount it at boot time.