PDA

View Full Version : Bought a new G75 - DOA rate question

Sudnib
09-07-2012, 08:26 PM
Hi Everyone,

Ok, I finally broke down and bought a new G75VW-DS73-3D to replace my Macbook Pro 17 last week. (I am sooo done with Apple products, but the tech in me had to try one.) The G75 arrived on Tuesday, this week. Even the packaging was impressive. Everything looked great upon booting... for a few minutes. Then the first BSOD hit. And another. And another. Then throw in a couple of unsync'd frozen screens. It couldn't even run long enough to get through a system recovery. Installing a fresh copy was an exercise in futility because it couldn't finishing copying files before BSODs and shutdowns. Turning it back on immediately yielded a black screen and indicator lights for power, battery and numlock. My best guess is a bad motherboard or GPU, or both.

Fortunately, I bought it from B&H and they issued an RMA and shipping label without any hassle. Hopefully my replacement will be on the road on Monday since the bad one should be arriving there today. So far, I'm very happy with the people at B&H in NY.

I've been using ASUS products for almost 2 decades, going back to the very first computer I built in the early 90's in which I used an ASUS motherboard. Even back then ASUS had a reputation for quality products. EXCEPT if you got one that was Dead on Arriveal (DOA). Then you return it immediately and get a new one because their support was terrible. Once you had one that worked, you can expect it to last longer than you want it to. Since then, I've repaired hundreds of computers and the only ones that failed with ASUS components were hit with power surges.

I'm REALLY looking forward to enjoying my new laptop. Eventually. I know plenty of people who have no problems and love their ASUS G7* notebooks, but now I'm worried about the current DOA rate. Historically, it was infinitesimal. Has it really gotten as bad as it looks on the boards and on the reviews?

Assuming there are no immediately evident issues with the new one next week, what are the best tests to run initially? Are Memtest86+ and FurMark still the best tools to stress a new system?

john_from_ohio
09-07-2012, 08:31 PM
Find my thread on "what to do first" after purchasing a G55/G75 system.

For stress testing I would try furmark and prime95 simultaneously ... but yeah you want to run some kind of memtest tool also eventually.

No blue screens at all ever on my system ( base G75VW BBK5 now almost 5 months old ( I think ) ) ...

Shawnnepc
09-07-2012, 08:35 PM
Generally speaking .. the failure rate is around 10%-15%

john_from_ohio
09-07-2012, 08:37 PM
Generally speaking .. the failure rate is around 10%-15%

Really ... ouch!

Shawn that sounds ... pretty high ... what kind of knowledge base are you working from to quote a number like that?

Shawnnepc
09-07-2012, 08:39 PM
Really ... ouch!

Shawn that sounds ... pretty high ... what kind of knowledge base are you working from to quote a number like that?

It's actually one of the lowest.

Hp and Dell are somewhere around 20-35%

Sudnib
09-07-2012, 08:41 PM
Thanks, John. I'll take your advice on running the two simultaneously.

I've seen enough happy customers to convince me to choose an ASUS G-Series notebook. I'm just noticing a drastic increase of failure reports over the last couple of weeks. It's making me think there is a bad batch passing through the channels.

Wow, Shawn! ASUS used to run about a 1-2% failure rate back in the day...

Shawnnepc
09-07-2012, 08:44 PM
Thanks, John. I'll take your advice on running the two simultaneously.

I've seen enough happy customers to convince me to choose an ASUS G-Series notebook. I'm just noticing a drastic increase of failure reports over the last couple of weeks. It's making me think there is a bad batch passing through the channels.

Wow, Shawn! ASUS used to run about a 1-2% failure rate back in the day...

That's from our internal numbers and data from other resellers that we partner with

You can also check out this report done by Squaretrade (few years old)

http://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pdf/SquareTrade_laptop_reliability_1109.pdf

chrsplmr
09-07-2012, 08:47 PM
Last I saw this brought up ... it was less than 3% .. more than reasonable.c.

Shawnnepc
09-07-2012, 08:49 PM
Last I saw this brought up ... it was less than 3% .. more than reasonable.c.

If I pool ALL the ASUS laptops we've sold this year it's near 1.5%

chrsplmr
09-07-2012, 08:53 PM
.. that's a happy number. Would be nice if it were better .. but not too shabby, eh?

Sudnib
09-07-2012, 09:04 PM
Hmmm. 1-3% is an acceptable number. 10-15% is not. If it's really a 10+% DOA rate, the entire quality control department (or whoever is calling the shots for them) should be fired and replaced.

I wonder if there's really a bad batch (DOA-wise) of motherboards that slipped through OR if the dead-on-arrival rate is unchanged and it is just that the buyers of bad ones over last couple weeks are more vocal? I suppose we will never really know.

At this point, I just want a good one. ;)

dstrakele
09-07-2012, 09:05 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if ASUS actually had a 30%+ failure rate. That would better explain the number of threads where folks report having to return their laptops multiple times to get one without hardware issues and those that report multiple RMA's where the motherboard is replaced multiple times.

The frequency of serious hardware issues reported on this forum and the ASUS section of Notebook Review Forums appears at least as great, if not greater, than any other notebook manufacturer, including HP or Dell, which sell more units than ASUS. Take a look and see what you think.

Shawnnepc
09-07-2012, 09:10 PM
I should of explained more before I posted that number. Hopefully ASUS won't mind too much.

The number I quoted is our DOA rate for ALL of the G75/55 series we've sold combined. Not ASUS'S ACTUAL failure rate

ALSO I INCLUDE PHYSICAL damage as 'DOA' (not properly assembled keyboards, etc)

We've sold a small amount of G75/G55 of those that we sold I had that failure rate.

Before we sold ASUS we resold Alienware. I had almost a 50% DOA rate and near the same amount for failure rate after one year.

I'm not happy with the INDUSTRY wide failure rate. It's not a ASUS exclusive thing.

You also have to take into account that game laptops have a significantly higher failure rate compared to standard laptops.

I wouldn't be surprised if ASUS actually had a 30%+ failure rate. That would better explain the folks having to return their laptops multiple times to get one without hardware issues and those that report multiple RMA's where the motherboard is replaced multiple times.

The frequency of serious hardware issues reported on this forum and the ASUS section of Notebook Review Forums appears at least as great, if not greater, than any other notebook manufacturer, including HP or Dell, which sell more units than ASUS. Take a look and see what you think.