PDA

View Full Version : G55VW Optical Drive sound question

colpolite
09-08-2012, 05:33 AM
Why is the optical drive keeps on doing that sound whenever you start playing an mp3 or video or even when starting specific programs not related to the optical drive when the optical drive itself is empty?

The sound im describing is the same sound when you eject the ty and when you close it you hear like a machine sound. Btw don't get it confuse with a rattle or some kind of a defect sound because the sound of it is the same when you close the tray.

fstaengler
10-22-2012, 06:25 AM
I get the same annoying optical drive click every time the windows explorer opens up the first time, then later time just slow to provide the drive list. It also gets the machine little frozen for a second or two, but always recovers.

I thought for a long time it was some 3rd party program doing something, but i have a clean install now.

Is this a bios issue? - really annoying, hopefully gets addressed/fixed in a patch.

Thanks for your attention.

ggBanks
10-22-2012, 07:19 AM
I personally don't have the issue on my G55, I only hear that sound when I boot up my computer, I don't really know what could be the cause:confused:
One thing you may try is to check your boot priority in the BIOS settings and try moving the optical drive to a lower priority than the HDD drive. This is in no case related to the problem but you may never know. Its just a suggestion.
You may also try to update your BIOS as @fstaengler said, or try re-installing the ATK package driver, for it is a general system driver and may have something in common with the optical drive.

AzraelsKiss
10-22-2012, 07:58 PM
Do you happen to have Daemon Tools or some other image mounting utility installed? I know on my system, Daemon Tools will check the physical drive when it accesses the virtual drive.

cl-scott
10-22-2012, 09:25 PM
Well, a bit of a generic answer, but the reason is that SOMETHING is polling the ODD to see if there's anything in the drive. So even if all you do is open up a Windows Explorer window, that can trigger a poll of the ODD to see if there's anything in the drive that then needs to be displayed in the left hand panel.

bignazpwns
10-23-2012, 12:01 AM
Well, a bit of a generic answer, but the reason is that SOMETHING is polling the ODD to see if there's anything in the drive. So even if all you do is open up a Windows Explorer window, that can trigger a poll of the ODD to see if there's anything in the drive that then needs to be displayed in the left hand panel.

In my G75 it does this even after a fresh windows install. Only way I found to stop this is to disable the optical drive.

fstaengler
10-24-2012, 06:05 PM
yes, that did it. i have disabled the optical drive and clicking madness is over now. Thanks!

just makes me wonder how come that my 600 euro Aspire(s) do not have this problem. same version of W7, clean install.