PDA

View Full Version : G75 Randomly Waking From Sleep? Why?

K4ndym4n
09-08-2012, 06:14 PM
Hey Guys,
I've experienced this odd sort of issue with my G75 and I'm completely stumped.... Every once and awhile I'll notice the system lights on when the lid is closed and my laptop is sleeping. This only happens when the computer is in sleep mode.... Now, I know this has been mentioned before, but it only seemed to be happening with older laptops (based on posts) and I just recently started having this problem with my G75VW. It's intermittent at best (which i guess i should be happy about) but I just don't understand why it's waking with the lid down. It first happened after using my "Hauppauge!" USB TV tuner; I thought it was related to that, so I unplugged the stick but it's still waking randomly. As others have stated, sometimes when I lift the lid, "Instant On" logs me in and everything is fine... other times though, I get a black screen but can still hear windows and website sounds until I'm forced to shut down with the power button. This issue doesn't seem to cause any serious problems, it's just a bit of a pain and I want to make sure it's not a virus or anything damaging.
Appreciate any feedback, Thanks in Advance-

ASUS G75VW-RS72
CPU: i7-3610QM 2.30/3.30 GHz.
Memory: 16 GB PC1666 DDR3
Storage: Crucial M4 256GB SSD + Seagate Momentus XT 7200RPM 750GB SSHD
Graphics: GeForce GTX 670M 3GB
Screen: 17.3' Full HD LED Screen
OS: Windows 7 HP (x64) + Bitdefender Internet Security 2013

dstrakele
09-08-2012, 09:01 PM
An interesting issue! Are you using your Ethernet adapter for internet connection? If so, check out http://jack.ukleja.com/fix-for-windows-7-random-wake-from-sleep-problem.

I'd also check out and disable any "Wake-On-LAN" possibilities.

Do you have ASUS Live Update installed?

I also wonder if your issue is somehow related to ASUS "Instant On". That maybe you installed something that conflicts with it somehow. I'd be suspicious of any drivers installed by your Hauppauge TV Tuner. They are likely not uninstalled (or even stopped) simply by removing the hardware. You could troubleshoot this by using Windows System Restore to restore your system to a time prior to Hauppauge installation.

K4ndym4n
09-09-2012, 05:34 AM
Thanks for the feedback dstrakele!,

As far as the ethernet goes, I don't use it... Just the Wifi. With the TV tuner, I haven't uninstalled the drivers so I'll try that next and see if there is any progress. When you mentioned the "Instant On" software it reminded me of an error message I got before I started using the "Smart LogOn" software. Windows would send me an error intermittently, referring to a program interfering with "Instant On" that would interrupt the long term sleep... I just can't remember if it was a program or if it just came out of nowhere. This was all before I installed the SSD and was able to use these programs, so I'll see if I can figure it out what it was that caused the error-
Appreciate the ideas, Thanks again-

ASUS G75VW-RS72
CPU: i7-3610QM 2.30/3.30 GHz.
Memory: 16 GB PC1666 DDR3
Storage: Crucial M4 256GB SSD + Seagate Momentus XT 7200RPM 750GB SSHD
Graphics: GeForce GTX 670M 3GB
Screen: 17.3' Full HD LED Screen
OS: Windows 7 HP (x64) + Bitdefender Internet Security 2013