PDA

View Full Version : How many years can we play on the g75

Nyorker
09-09-2012, 02:10 PM
With technology always getting better how long do you think we can play games on high settings before we have to buy a new laptop? The GeForce 660m is not a top of the line card.

ForCeV
09-10-2012, 01:04 AM
Actually, it depends on the option setting that you want to do on the games..... Honestly, 660m is mid end gp card, and it is still not enough to play current high spec games with max settings( I always figure out that 60fps is the most smoothly playing the games)... However, it is a laptop, and I guess you can use this for about 2years with adjust a game option setting. If you prefer to play a games at least 30fps, then you can use this laptop more than 2years. However, IDK... Do you feel smooth at 30fps??? I always pain when I see the games on 30fps...therefore, I always change a settings to get a 60fps in the game.

Zygomorphic
09-10-2012, 01:17 AM
permanently...
minesweeper runs in high res on a netbook. :D
How about Quake III Arena??? 1080p with ease... ;)

Actually, ForCeV, +1 for excellent write-up! :)

Bundy_Drop_Bear
09-10-2012, 05:20 AM
permanently...
minesweeper runs in high res on a netbook. :D
How about Quake III Arena??? 1080p with ease... ;)

Actually, ForCeV, +1 for excellent write-up! :)

lol Minesweeper... thats classic +1 rep for that reply.

c_man
09-10-2012, 09:17 AM
30fps not smooth? LOL. Then again other people feel like 60p to be the best experience of their lives, when I'm sure a normal human eye can't see those frames rolling, it's just a placebo effect when you know the slow motion difference.

To answer the OP, none really, if you choose some very demanding game.

Shawnnepc
09-10-2012, 02:25 PM
My 8600m laptop was replaced a year ago because it started having issues with modern games.

Because consoles are still the dominate platform I expect the mid-range to still be valid at least 3-4 years.

Rumor has it that the PS4 and Xbox 720 aren't really that much more powerful compared to it's ancestors

Gumbee
09-10-2012, 02:35 PM
My Rule Is Every Two Years For Both Laptop And Desktop

Myk SilentShadow
09-10-2012, 04:08 PM
Rumor has it that the PS4 and Xbox 720 aren't really that much more powerful compared to it's ancestors

Hahaha yeah, maybe this time Sony will put n class wifi in this one...or even jump to 802.11ac.

Though, I can't see how they can possibly get the consoles any better than they already are...and if the PS4 comes out soon, i'm gonna be miffed cos I got my 320GB PS3 in March...though it was a bday pressie lol.

chrsplmr
09-10-2012, 04:11 PM
Game Consoles or even laptops for that matter will NEVER be on par with Desktops .. or even close.
At best ... they are mid-grade/level...
That said .. to answer the OP .. there will always be 'top' games that 'top' laptops can not play @ 'top' settings.
but for portability ... its worth it .. and will almost always beat a console.

2 year buying cycles sound about right ..
This is the huge advantage the desktop has .. pci-e. ... 8990 anyone ???

Myk SilentShadow
09-10-2012, 04:15 PM
LOL C, wait for the 7990 first before salivating over that one :p

chrsplmr
09-10-2012, 04:26 PM
great .. next ull be tell'n me to wait for SteamRoller .. hahahhaa .. u mean i have to wait ??? drat !!!

Myk SilentShadow
09-10-2012, 04:40 PM
great .. next ull be tell'n me to wait for SteamRoller .. hahahhaa .. u mean i have to wait ??? drat !!!

Unless some more info about SR comes out and from what I read in that article posted by DC which indicates SR as the last of the AM3 line...there was really no mention of a PCIe 3.0 chipset coming with the SR CPU, so having said that my next CPU upgrade my not come til Excavator...unless my 4170 dies on me before then lol...or my CHVF.

But then again, since RoG are determined to not release a Gene-ified mATX AMD board I might just go with the CHVI or the V-Z and put my CHVF into my planned Media Centre Project...maybe, idk...depends on finances of course to get the project going.

And before I get my butt kicked for going way off topic....to the OP: your G75 will last as long as you need/want it to...as long as you take care of it, it'll take care of you :)

Zygomorphic
09-10-2012, 05:58 PM
My Rule Is Every Two Years For Both Laptop And Desktop

Thanks, @Bundy :).
My rule is every four.

Shawnnepc
09-10-2012, 06:52 PM
My rule is every four.

I replace every CPU or GPU Cycle.

Dropped the G74 for the G75 and will drop the G75 for whatever decides to come next.

I'm the same way with my desktop, the oldest part in it is the Sound Card (X-fi Titanium) the only reason it's still there is because we haven't had anything groundbreaking in audio since 2005ish

F34R
09-10-2012, 07:24 PM
With technology always getting better how long do you think we can play games on high settings before we have to buy a new laptop? The GeForce 660m is not a top of the line card.
My five year old laptop, see my sig, plays diablo 3 fine on high. No difference here. I don't see the "have to" upgrade that one in another few years to be honest. Least of all, my G75 will last longer.

kiba
09-11-2012, 03:49 PM
My rule is every four.

teehee, bundy