PDA

View Full Version : Avp.exe (Kaspersky and Alien vs. Predator) bug is BACK with 301.42!!!

kimiraikkonen
09-09-2012, 04:40 PM
Hi guys,

I don't know whether some of you have noticed the funny naming conflict between Kaspersky Antivirus (or Internet Security) and Alien vs. Predator game because of using same executable "avp.exe".

Simply, Nvidia Control Panel in 301.42 (which is the latest WHQL) treats my Kaspersky Internet Security's avp.exe as Alien vs. Predator game that i do not have it!!!

As far as i remember, that issue had been resolved either in 285.82 or in 296.10 (i can't remember the correct version) but is now back with 301.42 :)

Nvidia forums are down since a long time, so no info there.

Can you look at funny bug shown on the screenshot attachment!

kimiraikkonen
09-10-2012, 04:29 PM
Nobody paid attention to that?

dstrakele
09-10-2012, 04:41 PM
It is an issue that must be dealt with by NVIDIA, Kaspersky, or the developers of Alien vs. Predator. Since you report NVIDIA resolved this issue in the past, I recommend posting this issue on their forum in the Official Feedback Thread for 301.42.

It would be useful to see if the issue also exists in their latest 306.xx BETA driver.

Choosing a different antivirus would easily work around this issue.

PILGRIM
09-10-2012, 05:05 PM
kimiraikkonen, I second to what dstrakele said.

In addition, would the (free) Microsoft Security Essentials be okay with you?..
I've done away with all those paid AV programs and installed that damned
free Windows AV. And guess what?.. MSE actually does what is intended to do,
minus being too invasive.. In short, MSE is really intended to work with the
system it's intended to work to- Windows.

kimiraikkonen
09-11-2012, 04:28 PM
Hi Pilgrim,

MSE is the worst antivirus i've ever experienced just for one reason. It uses Windows Update to update itself! Plus, when you want to do the update manually, it hangs and crashes. Kaspersky is one of the slowest and resource-hungry one but the safest.

My lisense for KIS is now expired and may consider MSE but i'm not sure! As you said MSE is an invader.

Hope Nvidia creates a solution for this silly problem. You see AvP.exe and P takes place as capital but that doesn't prevent the conflict unfortunately. Seeing a previously resolved problem again is really irritating!

Cheers,

Onur