PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking my 660m?

Thaladred
09-10-2012, 03:02 AM
Hey guys I just got a BBK5 model as a gift and it is running really well. I'm running GW2 close to max settings and getting 40-55 FPS, so really satisfied. Borderlands 2 is coming up and I have it pre-ordered, was thinking of overclocking my 660m and was wondering if you guys can help me out? What program should I use? And what are the best settings? Thanks a lot, looking forward to hearing your advice.

sndtribe9
09-10-2012, 07:43 AM
I have the same model as you. When you say max settings, that includes supersampling, all 4 boxes clicked (enhanced character models etc) , everything on high , aside the ones that have Ultra (shadows) and Anti Aliasing turned on? Because when I do that I get 15-20 fps MAX outdoors, a bit better in towns but not much difference. Also which graphics driver are you using atm?

Gumbee
09-10-2012, 11:41 AM
Hey guys I just got a BBK5 model as a gift and it is running really well. I'm running GW2 close to max settings and getting 40-55 FPS, so really satisfied. Borderlands 2 is coming up and I have it pre-ordered, was thinking of overclocking my 660m and was wondering if you guys can help me out? What program should I use? And what are the best settings? Thanks a lot, looking forward to hearing your advice.

I have the same model as you. When you say max settings, that includes supersampling, all 4 boxes clicked (enhanced character models etc) , everything on high , aside the ones that have Ultra (shadows) and Anti Aliasing turned on? Because when I do that I get 15-20 fps MAX outdoors, a bit better in towns but not much difference. Also which graphics driver are you using atm?

Theres Three Ways To Do This

1. Use Evga Software Called Prescision X (http://www.evga.com/gaming/index.php/2012/04/evga-precision-x-available-android-app-new-features/). just Install And Push The GPU Clock Off Set To 135+ And The Memory Clock Off Set To 500+ And That Should Give Your Core Clock a Boost To 1085-1185 Max In Turbo Mode And Your Memry Clock To 2800-3000Mhz

2. You Can Use Nvidia Inspector (http://downloads.guru3d.com/NVIDIA-Inspector-1.9.6.6-download-2612.html) Its The Does The Same Thing That PrecicionX Does But This One You Can Overclock It To The Max.

Mike.7
09-10-2012, 12:11 PM
Hey guys, me too i wanted to oc my gtx 660m.

@gumbee the setting you posted is the exact number that we need to put? i wanna try to oc my 660m. and its my 1st oc as well. lol. hope i wont get any prob! thx for the info btw!

Gumbee
09-10-2012, 02:31 PM
Hey guys, me too i wanted to oc my gtx 660m.

@gumbee the setting you posted is the exact number that we need to put? i wanna try to oc my 660m. and its my 1st oc as well. lol. hope i wont get any prob! thx for the info btw!

Do To The Cards Locked Vbios You Can Only Get 135+ In The GPU Core Clock As Far AS The Memory Clock I Havent Seen Any Major Inprovements by Push It Higher Then +500 And With Thous Setting You Wont Fry Your GPU. But If You Really Want To Push The Core Clock Higher Then 1085Mhz There's Two More Steps You Need To follow Using Nvidia Inspector

Daylife
09-10-2012, 07:53 PM
By over clocking like that how much of an improvement did you get over the factory clocks?

mrwolf
09-10-2012, 08:10 PM
I dunno about the 660M but when i overclock my G75 with the 670M, it performs better than the 675M at mid OC (750Mhz/1650memory)

Further OC'ing would cause heat of around 77-80 degrees but i found that if you wanna OC really high and maintain good temperature you can drill some custom cooling vents for better airflow :cool:

This bought the temps down to like 70-74maxx

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57333195/IMAG0055.jpg

RollinDavar
09-10-2012, 08:12 PM
Anyone OC in BF3?
I have G55VW with GTX 660M, a bit afraid to OC.

I like Gumbee's post:

"1. Use Evga Software Called Prescision X. just Install And Push The GPU Clock Off Set To 135+ And The Memory Clock Off Set To 500+ And That Should Give Your Core Clock a Boost To 1085-1185 Max In Turbo Mode And Your Memry Clock To 2800-3000Mhz "

bignazpwns
09-10-2012, 09:19 PM
He high do you wanna go? MSI afterbur er will give you a of but if you want anything higher you will need to start forcing p states. Not hard but all the GTX 660m's I seen can do about 1300mhz on the core with no vmods. My card tops out at 1425mhz without a vmod. Temps are max of 71c after 5 hours of 100% load. Performance is about on par with a typical gtx 675m that's been over clocked.

RollinDavar
09-10-2012, 09:25 PM
He high do you wanna go? MSI afterbur er will give you a of but if you want anything higher you will need to start forcing p states. Not hard but all the GTX 660m's I seen can do about 1300mhz on the core with no vmods. My card tops out at 1425mhz without a vmod. Temps are max of 71c after 5 hours of 100% load. Performance is about on par with a typical gtx 675m that's been over clocked.

What games do you play? Is it a G55 o G75? I have the G55, a bit nervous to do it. I OCed my GTX 660m in my Y580 and had crap tons of artifacts on BF3 on 400+ core temps 72C. I Have a G55VW now though. Still a bit afraid to do it.

Thaladred
09-10-2012, 10:22 PM

Pretty much yeah and the latest beta drives 3.06 or something for the nvidia card. The only thing I have toned down is shadows set to medium. Shadows medium, native resolution but the rest at high except for LOD which I can get to ultra since it is only the difference of about one frame. Outside I can get a steady 45 or so FPS with things going on, windowed mode.

As an aside thanks all for the advice :) Will getting extra ram help me further with performance or does it only help if I am using a lot of my memory?

bignazpwns
09-10-2012, 10:23 PM
G75.

I only play world of warcraft.

The G55 will have better cooling system then the Y580 so it should be able to pull 1000,1100 mhz on the core pretty easy with temps in the 70's

What are your temps at stock?

Thaladred
09-10-2012, 10:32 PM
Is there a program to monitor heat on my G75? I've noticed it to never be hot, the fans only seem to work hard when booting the laptop up.

http://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-Vengeance-204-Pin-1600MHz-CMSX8GX3M2A1600C9/product-reviews/B006EWUOL8/ref=dp_db_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

This a decent RAM stick to boost it to 16gb?

Lucas
09-10-2012, 11:48 PM
I dunno about the 660M but when i overclock my G75 with the 670M, it performs better than the 675M at mid OC (750Mhz/1650memory)

Further OC'ing would cause heat of around 77-80 degrees but i found that if you wanna OC really high and maintain good temperature you can drill some custom cooling vents for better airflow :cool:

This bought the temps down to like 70-74maxx

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57333195/IMAG0055.jpg

I see that everyone is like me, should I ask a patent lol
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?19580-Overclocking-670m/page4

RollinDavar
09-11-2012, 12:08 AM
G75.

I only play world of warcraft.

The G55 will have better cooling system then the Y580 so it should be able to pull 1000,1100 mhz on the core pretty easy with temps in the 70's

What are your temps at stock?

Just checked GPU-Z on BF3 and it is about 65C stable, never got any higher. Room temperature is 79F. I turned on my NotePal X-Slim and it made no difference in the temps played GPU-Z played BF3 couple hours just checked everything in this post now.
I could not get any higher then +135 to the core, I think it's somehow locked MSI afterburner would not allow it. I did +135 to core and +300 to memory on my Y580 and it did get artifacts. Have not tried any of this on my G55VW though.

bignazpwns
09-11-2012, 12:22 AM
Yeah its locked. To get higher you need to force a pstate.

Install nvidia inspector. click overclocking and make a shotcut. "Bottom right tab"
Right click the shortcut it makes on your desktop and click properties. Change the target "Example of mine"

"C:\Nvidia Inspector\nvidiaInspector.exe" -forcepstate:0,0 -setGpuClock:0,2,**** -setMemoryClockOffset:0,0,###

**** is your core clock. example 1100mhz.
### is your memory clock offset.

When you do this you will run at the max clock the whole time you will no longer throttle and down clock for 2d. I also mage a lower clocked shortcut that i click when i don't want it to be overclocked or when im playing games on the barrery that down clocks the gpu to 500mhz

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/4211653 Thatch not even close to what the card max's out. with the volt mod my gtx 660m maxes out at slightly over 1500 on the core. with 82c load temps. That 1300-1400 is my every day use clocks and that clock in the bench was the highest i could get with no atrafacts and 100% stable. Not bad for a little 660m Really starts to show its teeth around 1100+ on the core.

Mike.7
09-11-2012, 12:50 AM
i think wouldnt really force it to go higher. like i said its my first OC. so im still a bit afraid. but most of the post on this thread said that the setting that Gumbee's posted were safe enough and would fry out my system. so i think il gonna try it. btw guys whats the version of your nvidia driver now? i still havnt change mine though. lol. need some advice. thanks!

Zygomorphic
09-11-2012, 01:08 AM
i think wouldnt really force it to go higher. like i said its my first OC. so im still a bit afraid. but most of the post on this thread said that the setting that Gumbee's posted were safe enough and would fry out my system. so i think il gonna try it. btw guys whats the version of your nvidia driver now? i still havnt change mine though. lol. need some advice. thanks!

Thats always a good idea to play it safe with OC'ing. I don't even OC my G53SX at all since I don't need the performance increase, and I like the quiet computer with as little heat as possible.

Thaladred
09-11-2012, 01:25 AM
I overclocked my GPU at the suggested settings and ran GW2. Pretty insane I jumped about 32 frames. Should probably lower it just a bit I guess since I'm not sure I really need 90 frames per second :P

Zygomorphic
09-11-2012, 01:33 AM
I overclocked my GPU at the suggested settings and ran GW2. Pretty insane I jumped about 32 frames. Should probably lower it just a bit I guess since I'm not sure I really need 90 frames per second :P

Congratulations! Always good to have 90 fps...good for the ego. ;)

RollinDavar
09-11-2012, 02:10 AM

Install nvidia inspector. click overclocking and make a shotcut. "Bottom right tab"
Right click the shortcut it makes on your desktop and click properties. Change the target "Example of mine"

"C:\Nvidia Inspector\nvidiaInspector.exe" -forcepstate:0,0 -setGpuClock:0,2,**** -setMemoryClockOffset:0,0,###

When you do this you will run at the max clock the whole time you will no longer throttle and down clock for 2d. I also mage a lower clocked shortcut that i click when i don't want it to be overclocked or when im playing games on the barrery that down clocks the gpu to 500mhz

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/4211653 Thatch not even close to what the card max's out. with the volt mod my gtx 660m maxes out at slightly over 1500 on the core. with 82c load temps. That 1300-1400 is my every day use clocks and that clock in the bench was the highest i could get with no atrafacts and 100% stable. Not bad for a little 660m Really starts to show its teeth around 1100+ on the core.

Thanks allot! First guide I have seen on how to do this. My G55VW seems much more suitable for it. Would not have expected it to get so high that is very impressive in the link you sent me.

It took me 4 Image Verification tries to get words right sheesh.

eugene.nelson
09-11-2012, 05:55 AM
Using Gumbee's advice and never overclocking before I got 20 FPS more than I was using the same settings. I now get 45-55 FPS on gw2.

Mike.7
09-11-2012, 08:46 AM
eugene.nelson how long did you play? was is stable? how about the temps?

c_man
09-11-2012, 08:58 AM
On G55 the GPU will be fine, but heavy OC on GPU will have an impact on CPU temps that might even hit +100C. Not that good for performance if it does and starts to downclock to 1.2Ghz, since some games now use CPU as well, like BF3 for example. So you need a good balance in G55 for this to work. The GPU cooling is great, don't worry.

eugene.nelson
09-11-2012, 03:00 PM
I played for 5 hours and it looked great. I do not know exactly what to look for but it was way better with the higher fps. The temps I noticed never went much above 55-60celcius. I did check that very frequently because I do not ever want to damage this comp.

Gumbee
09-11-2012, 06:56 PM
Can someone post the unlocked bios for the video card i would love to push minw to 1300mhz

Daylife
09-11-2012, 08:20 PM
You were getting 90 FPS with a 660M?

Zygomorphic
09-12-2012, 01:20 AM
I played for 5 hours and it looked great. I do not know exactly what to look for but it was way better with the higher fps. The temps I noticed never went much above 55-60celcius. I did check that very frequently because I do not ever want to damage this comp.

That is why ASUS puts in the cooling they do. Actually, 70-75 C is not bad either, 80+ is cause for concern. If you have pets, make sure to check the air filters frequently, as well as clean them...nothing like pet dander to gum up a computer fan.

Thaladred
09-12-2012, 01:25 AM
You were getting 90 FPS with a 660M?

Yep, keep in mind I didn't everything at max, other than shadows everything is at least at high, and the 660m was overclocked. This was out in the world exploring, when a lot of things were happening the FPS went down a bit, so it wasn't high frames like that consistently.

RollinDavar
09-12-2012, 02:01 AM
I was thinking about what gumpy did and i want to do the same for bf3. Looks "safe" my biggest worry woukd be to damage or wear the life of my gtx 660m. It sounds much safer.
I do wonder, is it possible to swap out the gpu for 670/680?

aminof
09-12-2012, 02:08 AM
I was thinking about what gumpy did and i want to do the same for bf3. Looks "safe" my biggest worry woukd be to damage or wear the life of my gtx 660m. It sounds much safer.
I do wonder, is it possible to swap out the gpu for 670/680?

no it's impossible to swap the gpu for gtx680 but for 670 you need to buy it from asus since its not a normal MXM gpu.

bignazpwns
09-12-2012, 06:43 AM
Going to a GTX 670m you are going to a last gen GPU "Downgrading in a sense" 660m is a kepler 670m is a fermi. Kepler overclocks higher, uses less power and run cooler. You will never damage your gpu from overclocking. Only when you start to over volt to insanely high voltages. The GPU will throttle its self if temps get to high and nvidia has been doing over voltage protection for years. I use to do extreme overclocking on desktop systems and some i7's i put over 1.9volts to are running fine to this day at stock clocks as daily systems for people. As a user you will never kill your gpu from overclocking. It was once taboo in the pc world and now it is excepted and does not void warranties.

I know a guy who has a very heavily overclocked GTX 280m in his system. Been like this since it was new and its never gave him one problem. He uses it as a main system with about 40+ hours of gaming a week on it.

Also you dont need a unlocked bios to hit 1300mhz. But since you asking to go right to 1300 i wont tell you as you don't understand the basics of overclocking. Each GPU is diff. I can hit a little over 1400mhz on my core without a vmod. A friends can only do about 1335mhz. You might pull 1500mhz or you might only be able to get it to 900mhz without a v mod.

Liquidus
09-12-2012, 08:15 AM
Going to a GTX 670m you are going to a last gen GPU "Downgrading in a sense" 660m is a kepler 670m is a fermi. Kepler overclocks higher, uses less power and run cooler. You will never damage your gpu from overclocking. Only when you start to over volt to insanely high voltages. The GPU will throttle its self if temps get to high and nvidia has been doing over voltage protection for years. I use to do extreme overclocking on desktop systems and some i7's i put over 1.9volts to are running fine to this day at stock clocks as daily systems for people. As a user you will never kill your gpu from overclocking. It was once taboo in the pc world and now it is excepted and does not void warranties.

I know a guy who has a very heavily overclocked GTX 280m in his system. Been like this since it was new and its never gave him one problem. He uses it as a main system with about 40+ hours of gaming a week on it.

Also you dont need a unlocked bios to hit 1300mhz. But since you asking to go right to 1300 i wont tell you as you don't understand the basics of overclocking. Each GPU is diff. I can hit a little over 1400mhz on my core without a vmod. A friends can only do about 1335mhz. You might pull 1500mhz or you might only be able to get it to 900mhz without a v mod.

I understand the basics of overclocking. How can I get past the +135 limit. Nvidia inspector doesn't really do much.

Zygomorphic
09-12-2012, 10:19 AM
I understand the basics of overclocking. How can I get past the +135 limit. Nvidia inspector doesn't really do much.

Get MSI Kombustor - ASUS doesn't really have a tool that I've found. Everyone will swear by their favorite utility, but they all basically do the same thing.

@bignazpwns:
1) Yes the 670M is a last-gen architecture, but it is still faster in just about every benchmark of note.
2) Over-clocking does void warranties - at least on laptops.

Gumbee
09-12-2012, 12:15 PM
You can get past 135+ but you have to force p state to be able to go higher then 1085mhz. The only down side to that is that your gpu will stay at the overclocking state by doing that . If you just run it at 135+ the gpu will down clock it self. My 660m can go as high as. 1235 mhz stable but my ideal number would be 1300mhz .

RollinDavar
09-12-2012, 09:26 PM
no it's impossible to swap the gpu for gtx680 but for 670 you need to buy it from asus since its not a normal MXM gpu.

Oh wow, I thought the GPU on the G55Vw was soldered.

Liquidus
09-12-2012, 11:32 PM
Get MSI Kombustor - ASUS doesn't really have a tool that I've found. Everyone will swear by their favorite utility, but they all basically do the same thing.

@bignazpwns:
1) Yes the 670M is a last-gen architecture, but it is still faster in just about every benchmark of note.
2) Over-clocking does void warranties - at least on laptops.

I'm using MSI Afterburner. Can Kombuster or w/e achieve past the +135 limit?

You can get past 135+ but you have to force p state to be able to go higher then 1085mhz. The only down side to that is that your gpu will stay at the overclocking state by doing that . If you just run it at 135+ the gpu will down clock it self. My 660m can go as high as. 1235 mhz stable but my ideal number would be 1300mhz .]

Again, I've tried adjusting the P states (p5) using several methods, and each benchmark shows the clock is at 1085--and never higher. =\

Zygomorphic
09-13-2012, 01:17 AM
Thanks! I said the wrong thing. I meant Afterburner. It will only go up a certain amount - there is no way around it that I know of.

RollinDavar
09-13-2012, 05:06 AM
I was running BF3 1366 x 768 to be honest not digging it I actually do notice it with OC'ing I can only get +135 on the core which it already automatically OCs too and for some reason every time I input 500 + mem it insists on giving me a different number. Was using the precision X to do this. It wont left me get over 950. I'd be happy with 1050/1085mhx on the core with and addition 500+ to mem. Seems like it's not letting me do so.

Think ASUS will come out wih GPU 670m upgrade kit of some sort later on if the G55Vw does indeed use a MXM slot?

Zygomorphic
09-13-2012, 10:27 AM
Doubtful, the 670M uses more power, so the system would run hotter. The mobo may not be designed for sourcing enough current, and the heatsink might not be ableto dissipate the heat.

Gumbee
09-13-2012, 02:07 PM
Again, I've tried adjusting the P states (p5) using several methods, and each benchmark shows the clock is at 1085--and never higher. =\

Not Sure why Your Unable To go Higher So Lets Start From The Top . We Are Going to Use Nvidia Inspector For This.

1. If You Haven't Already Downloaded Nvidia Inspectior Do So Now. Next You Need To Create A Bat File Go To your Note pad and Create This Line.

nvidiainspector.exe -forcepstate:0,5 Now We Need To Save It As A .bat File . Go To File And Click Save As And Type .bat

2. Now Drag And Drop The .bat File To The Nvidia Inspector Folder .

3. Double Click On the .bat File And Then Open The Nvidia Inspector App Go To The Bottom Right And Click On Show Over Clock.

4. Once Your In The Overclocking Section Make Sure Your On ( Proformance Level {2}-(P0) ). Now Slide the Base Clock To
135+Mhz And The Memory Clock Off Set To 500+.

5. Now Go to The Overclocking Tap And Find ( Performance Level [1]-(P5) ). Slide The GPU Clock And Then Slide The memory Clock To What You Want To Run It For And Hit Apply Clock & Voltage . You Should See Your Core Clock Go Up In your Current Clock Tap.

Now Your Ready To Run Some Stress Test On It And See How Stable It Is. And Just Remember To Alway Start At The Lowest Point So If You Were Able To Run Your Core Clock At 1085Mhz Then Try 5Mhz To 10Mhz At A Time Till your Gpu Is No Loanger Stable . After That Look At your GPU Temp And Make Sure Their Not To High. The Last Thing To Do Is Hit The Create Clock Short Clock So That When you Need The extra Boost All You Have To Do Is Click On The Short Cut.

One more thing If you Shut Your LapTop Down You Must Always Do Step 3 To Be Able To Use your Short Cut.

RollinDavar
09-13-2012, 07:40 PM
Not Sure why Your Unable To go Higher So Lets Start From The Top . We Are Going to Use Nvidia Inspector For This.

1. If You Haven't Already Downloaded Nvidia Inspectior Do So Now. Next You Need To Create A Bat File Go To your Note pad and Create This Line.

nvidiainspector.exe -forcepstate:0,5 Now We Need To Save It As A .bat File . Go To File And Click Save As And Type .bat

2. Now Drag And Drop The .bat File To The Nvidia Inspector Folder .

3. Double Click On the .bat File And Then Open The Nvidia Inspector App Go To The Bottom Right And Click On Show Over Clock.

4. Once Your In The Overclocking Section Make Sure Your On ( Proformance Level {2}-(P0) ). Now Slide the Base Clock To
135+Mhz And The Memory Clock Off Set To 500+.

5. Now Go to The Overclocking Tap And Find ( Performance Level [1]-(P5) ). Slide The GPU Clock And Then Slide The memory Clock To What You Want To Run It For And Hit Apply Clock & Voltage . You Should See Your Core Clock Go Up In your Current Clock Tap.

Now Your Ready To Run Some Stress Test On It And See How Stable It Is. And Just Remember To Alway Start At The Lowest Point So If You Were Able To Run Your Core Clock At 1085Mhz Then Try 5Mhz To 10Mhz At A Time Till your Gpu Is No Loanger Stable . After That Look At your GPU Temp And Make Sure Their Not To High. The Last Thing To Do Is Hit The Create Clock Short Clock So That When you Need The extra Boost All You Have To Do Is Click On The Short Cut.

One more thing If you Shut Your LapTop Down You Must Always Do Step 3 To Be Able To Use your Short Cut.

Thanks you very much for posting this, I will do this now thanks allot for posting this!

Liquidus
09-13-2012, 08:46 PM

Hey thanks, this helped, but the memory clock is stuck at triple digit numbers (like around 805) and overclocking that is artifacting the computer. It's like it won't multiply or whatever in the p5 state. Anyway way around this?

Gumbee
09-13-2012, 09:19 PM
Liquidus Did You Do Step 4 This May Be The Issue

Liquidus
09-13-2012, 11:59 PM
Liquidus Did You Do Step 4 This May Be The Issue

Yes, i got it working! thanks! My laptop isn't too stable after 1200 mhz though, wish I could get 1300. You think it's because the voltage isn't enough?

ZeroBarrier
09-14-2012, 12:50 AM
Yes, i got it working! thanks! My laptop isn't too stable after 1200 mhz though, wish I could get 1300. You think it's because the voltage isn't enough?

Mine is the same, not very stable after 1200, starts to artifact around 1250 & completely locks up at 1300. I can however push the memory offset to 650 without issue, but crashes at 700.

Certain games don't like the 1200 core clock however, Alan Wake starts playing fine and will lock up a few minutes after playing for example.

Gumbee
09-14-2012, 02:36 AM
Mine is the same, not very stable after 1200, starts to artifact around 1250 & completely locks up at 1300. I can however push the memory offset to 650 without issue, but crashes at 700.

Try Lowering The Memory Clock Speed To 2800

In Deed It Is Mine Maxes Out At Core Clock 1235Mhz And Memory 2800 Thats Why We Need To F;lash The Vbios To Unlock This Baby

RPXZ
10-24-2012, 07:00 PM

I tried this. I am able to get the core click above 1100 so that is working fine. However, Memory clock offset is not working at all. It refuses to go over 2500. Any ideas please?

Zygomorphic
10-25-2012, 01:07 AM
I tried this. I am able to get the core click above 1100 so that is working fine. However, Memory clock offset is not working at all. It refuses to go over 2500. Any ideas please?

Possibly a BIOS/hardware restriction?

thenameiswes
10-25-2012, 08:23 AM
What is a safe memory clock speed when the gpu is set to 1300Mhz?

bignazpwns
10-25-2012, 09:05 AM
What is a safe memory clock speed when the gpu is set to 1300Mhz?

Um whatever you can run without getting attracts.

RPXZ
10-25-2012, 01:23 PM
Possibly a BIOS/hardware restriction?

Nah, I figured it out. I was just being careless and had the wrong format for the offset lmao.

NathanieLz
10-25-2012, 07:01 PM
damn, I just had a white screen G55
after I OC memory clock +2500Mhz,suddenly white screen
I think the safest clock to add just +1000Mhz
because,I already use MSI Afterburner and EVGA Precision X the max to add the memory clock is +1000Mhz not like nvidia inspector that can add up to +2500Mhz
it's the second time white screen on my G55

RPXZ
10-25-2012, 07:33 PM
damn, I just had a white screen G55
after I OC memory clock +2500Mhz,suddenly white screen
I think the safest clock to add just +1000Mhz
because,I already use MSI Afterburner and EVGA Precision X the max to add the memory clock is +1000Mhz not like nvidia inspector that can add up to +2500Mhz
it's the second time white screen on my G55

So what are your exact clocks then?

NathanieLz
10-26-2012, 06:07 PM
So what are your exact clocks then?

here's the picture
http://img.techpowerup.org/121025/nvidia_20121026_014420.png

ikennyyy
10-28-2012, 08:37 AM
here's the picture
http://img.techpowerup.org/121025/nvidia_20121026_014420.png

Bro, your memory is too high at 1000, that's why. Try 400-500. If I go over 500+ my laptop locks up.

NathanieLz
10-28-2012, 04:41 PM
Bro, your memory is too high at 1000, that's why. Try 400-500. If I go over 500+ my laptop locks up.

nah,I'm just testing that bro
I already set for 500 too

itsgreekpete
01-09-2013, 09:53 PM
I can help you get past the +135 limit. Basically download nVidia inspector. Use the show overclock options. Go to performance level 5. Hit create clocks shortcut. Then when that shortcut is made on the desktop, right click on it and hit properites. In the target box delete everything past nvidiaInspector.exe" and paste this -forcepstate:0,0 -setGpuClock:0,2,835 -setMemoryClock:0,2,2500 make sure there is a space after the after the nvidiaInspector.exe" ... after that you can set the values you desire. What you wanna change is the 835 and 2500. Know, however, that this forces the performance state and your clocks will STAY at these values until you reboot, or change them then reapply the shortcut.

Bubu91
07-20-2014, 11:37 AM

could you or someone else give a more detailed description of this process? i don t understand what shourtcut i need to change. the shourtcut that i create after i oc the clock +135?

ggBanks
07-21-2014, 06:44 AM
This method has not been working for a long time now. Nvidia fixed it when they released 320.xx drivers if I am not mistaken about the driver version. But yes, its not working anymore. Unless someone releases an unlocked BIOS for the Gx5 series, we are not gonna see any performance boost past the +135 mark. Bearing in mind that the Gx5 series is already 2 years old and no such BIOS exists, I really doubt we are gonna see any real overclocking at all.

Bubu91
07-21-2014, 03:42 PM
damn it:( does the +135 overclock have any noticeable effects of performance? do you get at least +10fps?

ggBanks
07-22-2014, 06:44 AM
I got +8 in BF3 when the nvidia inspector trick still worked. With the +135 you are not gonna get more than +3-4fps

Bubu91
07-22-2014, 01:18 PM
i tried it today. i set the core clock to 1010 using the target line. i noticed that in the nvidia inspector, only the current clock line shows the 1010 value. the other two beneath it, gpu clock and default clock, show the base 835 value. does it mean that the trick still works?

i ask because when i increase the core clock by moving the slider +135 in nvidia inspector, the current and default clock remain at 835, and the gpu clock is the one that increases.

Bubu91
07-23-2014, 07:37 AM
someone from another forum told me that if the current clock shows the gpu clock value that was set in the Target line, it means that the trick still works! :D

what is the recommended max value for the gpu clcok on the 660m? i know that max frecommended for memory is 400 ....

ggBanks
07-31-2014, 12:24 PM
When it worked for me i had my clocks like this: Core clock - 1300 with the boost, Memory clock - 3000

arnold315
09-23-2014, 04:58 PM
can i go higher than this OC ?

srmojuze
09-25-2014, 10:53 AM
can i go higher than this OC ?

Nice GPU core overclock. Memory you can definitely try 3000mhz.

srmojuze
09-25-2014, 10:56 AM
i tried it today. i set the core clock to 1010 using the target line. i noticed that in the nvidia inspector, only the current clock line shows the 1010 value. the other two beneath it, gpu clock and default clock, show the base 835 value. does it mean that the trick still works?

i ask because when i increase the core clock by moving the slider +135 in nvidia inspector, the current and default clock remain at 835, and the gpu clock is the one that increases.

someone from another forum told me that if the current clock shows the gpu clock value that was set in the Target line, it means that the trick still works! :D

what is the recommended max value for the gpu clcok on the 660m? i know that max frecommended for memory is 400 ....

Try this overclock.bat
nvidiaInspector.exe -forcepstate:0,0 -setGpuClock:0,2,1000 -setMemoryClock:0,2,2950

Try this to reset everything
nvidiaInspector.exe -setVoltageOffset:0,0,0 -setGpuClock:0,2,835 -setMemoryClock:0,2,2500 -forcepstate:0,16

arnold315
09-29-2014, 10:39 AM
Nice GPU core overclock. Memory you can definitely try 3000mhz.

how to do that?
i just reach 90 degree heat while im playing crysis2..is that going to be ok if i keep playing and use my oc?

srmojuze
10-17-2014, 04:20 PM
how to do that?
i just reach 90 degree heat while im playing crysis2..is that going to be ok if i keep playing and use my oc?

Wow anything over 85degC is probably ~not~ a good idea. Try to OC accordingly so max 85degC. Mem clock you can push to 3000mhz as that AFAIK doesn't affect GPU core temp much :)