PDA

View Full Version : Color issues: Screen or GPU driver?

AlanMcKinnon
09-11-2012, 05:10 AM
Hey all. So, this won't be a very scientific explanation of my problem, as I don't rightly know how to call it... But the gist of it is that blacks on my computer seem very... Pixel-ly, I guess. Like the transition between different very dark shades isn't happening properly. The closest thing I can relate it to is like playing a game in 16-bit color. It's a similar effect. It happens at all times, during Blu-ray movies, during games, even on the background of this website (the transition from the red "bubble" at the top of the page to the surrounding black is the culprit here).

I'm just curious if anyone else is dealing with this? Is it a driver issue, a screen issue, or...? Any help is greatly appreciated.

dstrakele
09-11-2012, 12:01 PM
What ASUS laptop model do you have?

Does it have the 120 Hz 3D display?

Check out http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?4560-G74SX-screen-issue&highlight=transition+16-bit+color. It could be a loose LVDS cable or a connector problem. There are recommendations in the referenced thread that may also help to further troubleshoot or possibly resolve your issue.

AlanMcKinnon
09-11-2012, 05:05 PM
My machine is a G75VW-RS72 from Xotic. I had the standard matte screen replaced with Xotic's 92% something something glossy screen.
It's a 60Hz 2D display.

dstrakele
09-11-2012, 06:04 PM
That doesn't eliminate a poorly seated LVDS cable as a possible cause. The troubleshooting tips discussed in the referenced thread are also still applicable to your system.

Have you contacted Xotic PC about your issue? What do they say?

AlanMcKinnon
09-11-2012, 06:07 PM
I have not yet contacted Xotic as I want to try all the troubleshooting I can do myself first.

I have read through the thread you linked and have been working through Chastity's tips. So far so good, I'll try running some games and see if she solved the issues. Fingers crossed.

AlanMcKinnon
09-11-2012, 06:09 PM
No dice. Gradient issue is still there.

Anything else worth trying before I give Xotic and/or ASUS a call?

Worth noting that I don't have a Win7 disc, so I don't believe that I can do a wipe/clean install.

dstrakele
09-11-2012, 08:54 PM
You actually have 2 options for reinstalling Windows:

1) F9 ASUS Factory Restore - press F9 at ASUS splash screen. It will install Windows, all drivers, and ASUS Bloatware apps - just like when you first started the laptop.

2) Download a legal Windows 7 .ISO file from the Digital River site that matches the Windows 7 version shipped with your laptop. Burn it to DVD or flash drive, and use it to install Windows. Use the ASUS Drivers and Applications disk to install device drivers (or download more recent drivers from device manufacturer's web site) and ASUS Bloatware (if desired). Once everything is running well, activate your new Windows 7 installation with the Product key on the label on the bottom of your laptop.

That said, I think the odds of a new Windows install resolving your issue are small. Leave it as a last resort. I'd contact Xotic PC at this point and see what they say.

AlanMcKinnon
09-12-2012, 10:46 PM
I sent a "Web Form" thingy to Xotic explaining the situation. Hopefully they'll get back to me sooner rather than later and we can get all this resolved.