PDA

View Full Version : What do I do with 1 or 2 black pixel on a complete new G75V?

joyfulPo
09-11-2012, 05:39 PM
There seem to be 1 or 2 dot of black pixel on my complete new G75V?
First look, I thought it was some dirt but it's not.

Is there a way to figure out if this is some dead pixels or maybe just something I need to do with my software to "clean" it up? :(

I'm trying very hard to not notice the "dirt" but it's hard when there isn't a total black background.

Okey, NOW I AM WORRIED
My girlfriend that has much better vision then me also feel there is something wrong when looking at the screen, like some fog in front of us when watching the screen.

It doesn't feel good at all.

dstrakele
09-11-2012, 06:07 PM
Contact your retailer and see if you can exchange your defective G75 for a new one.

The "fog" is likely just the matte finish (for anti-glare when you have bright light behind you or in sunlight). and not an issue. It sounds like you're more of a glossy screen person...

joyfulPo
09-11-2012, 06:12 PM
Contact your retailer and see if you can exchange your defective G75 for a new one.

The "fog" is likely just the matte finish (anti-glare). and not an issue.
Hm, damn. I just made everything go so well and I had put in new RAM and all, oh well.
This sucks.

Sure there isn't a driver issue with the 1 or 2 black dots that they just forget to like do what they should do?

iBoody
09-11-2012, 06:14 PM
Hi, indeed it might be more annoying... I could feel that. If I'm not wrong, your notebook comes with XX days defective pixel policy (ASUS Zero Bright Dot (ZBD) 30 Day Pixel Guarantee). So please check this with your retailer first.

anyway try the UDPIXEL (http://udpix.free.fr/) for a s/w based solution, but it might not able to resolve manufacture related defects than stuck pixels.... just give a try and proceed.

dstrakele
09-11-2012, 06:32 PM
ASUS has a 30 day Zero Bright Dot Policy (see http://www.asus.com/999/html/events/notebook/zbd/a1.htm), but you should call them to see if it applies to your specific screen defects and laptop. It specifies "only bright dot type non-performing pixels" apply for a free screen exchange. This is likely because bright dot (rather than dead) pixels have a chance of being repaired.

Alternatively, give @Underseaboat a call (see http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?22063-G74sx-funny-story-time).

joyfulPo
09-11-2012, 06:39 PM
I got a bit closer on the little unremoveable "dirt" on my screen, maybe you can tell me what it looks like?

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/9064/whatisthisn.png

Do you see it? What would you call it?

Other thing is:
The text is like "floating", it feels like it is floating no matter how big the text is and how close I look..
Just really painful for my eyes to watch it long, is this with all the screens because I'm not having the greatest hours of my first purchase of this G75V, sadly.

:(

dstrakele
09-11-2012, 06:48 PM
Sounds like you should go for a complete refund rather than an exchange, and order a custom G75 with a glossy screen.

In your picture, the problem pixels appear to have some color, so following @iBoody's UDPIXEL recommendation is what I would do, but NOT if you're set on returning it for refund.

joyfulPo
09-11-2012, 06:54 PM
Sounds like you should go for a complete refund rather than an exchange, and order a custom G75 with a glossy screen.

There are no glossy screen for G75V in my country and I don't like to order things from far away when I first need to return something or get some help to fix something.

I bought the G75V just 15 minutes away from me near the shops warehouse so it's easy like that.
But yeah, I have no idea what to do.

I wanted a G75V and what now, return it and just buy a complete different laptop when I just think ASUS has the best cooling system?

And is all the screens like this? *confused* Oh well, I'll just call it a night soon. Not much I can do at this hour.

dstrakele
09-11-2012, 07:04 PM
All matte finish screens are like that in appearance, but may not have defective pixels. You might eventually get used to the screen, particularly if you use the laptop outdoors. But if you're a vampire like me and only work in dark environments, a glossy screen is the only way to go...

Alternatively, get a glossy external monitor and have the best of both worlds.

joyfulPo
09-11-2012, 07:09 PM
All matte finish screens are like that in appearance, but may not have defective pixels. You might eventually get used to the screen, particularly if you use the laptop outdoors.

But did you look at the picture that I took with my mobile phone of the dead pixels? Is it dead pixels? How many? I'm no expert, so would be nice if you could tell me or anyone else, how many you see, dead.

:confused:

Shawnnepc
09-11-2012, 07:24 PM
Looks like you have about 6 pixels out all in the same cluster.

Defiantly a manufacturer defect or could even been caused by impact damage somewhere along the process.

At this point returning it for another would be the best action.

I haven't seen many display related issues with ASUS laptops in the US (LG, Au-Optronics) I do know that some US and Global SKU's use screens by CHI-MEI, those tend to have many more defects compared to the other brands.

I have yet to sell a G75 with stuck, dead or bright pixels, so I would venture to say that you just got unlucky.

The only complaint i've had with the Matte G75 is the picture can appear 'Grainy' but in testing it's only visible if your less than 2-3ft away from the screen, it also is invisible in 3D mode.

The issue can happen to any PC brand, there's only a small number of LCD manufacturers

I got a bit closer on the little unremoveable "dirt" on my screen, maybe you can tell me what it looks like?

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/9064/whatisthisn.png

Do you see it? What would you call it?

Other thing is:
The text is like "floating", it feels like it is floating no matter how big the text is and how close I look..
Just really painful for my eyes to watch it long, is this with all the screens because I'm not having the greatest hours of my first purchase of this G75V, sadly.

:(

joyfulPo
09-11-2012, 07:37 PM
Looks like you have about 6 pixels out all in the same cluster.

Defiantly a manufacturer defect or could even been caused by impact damage somewhere along the process.

At this point returning it for another would be the best action.

I haven't seen many display related issues with ASUS laptops in the US (LG, Au-Optronics) I do know that some US and Global SKU's use screens by CHI-MEI, those tend to have many more defects compared to the other brands.

I have yet to sell a G75 with stuck, dead or bright pixels, so I would venture to say that you just got unlucky.

The only complaint i've had with the Matte G75 is the picture can appear 'Grainy' but in testing it's only visible if your less than 2-3ft away from the screen, it also is invisible in 3D mode.

The issue can happen to any PC brand, there's only a small number of LCD manufacturers
When I go back to the store tomorrow, hm. Should I just tell them there is 6 dead pixels and I want a new one?
Because I fear it will be like a long process and perhaps they refuse and say they will try to repair it.

But as I bought the G75V today, not even had it for 24 hours, I should get a new pretty much the same day?

* There also seem to be a second problem, my wireless connection disconnects quite often while the ASUS G73Jh does not, during the same moment and time. In fact, the ASUS G73Jh never disconnects from the wireless but this one seems to do so and I'm 1 meter from the wireless box.

dstrakele
09-11-2012, 07:46 PM
Believe it or not, I'm not an expert either. From the picture, I'd say you have at least 2 defective pixels. They appear to have a little color, and so may not be dead, but that may be some internal reflection from the matte finish. There may be as many as 6 other pixels involved, but again, it's hard to tell from the picture if it is nott a problem with the finish.

Here's the deal, Dragon Warrior - you're bothered by the display, don't wanna order custom, and your retailer is 15 minutes away. Go down there, see if you can get an exchange for a screen that satisfies you, or take the refund and re-evaluate your purchase decision. Your choice!

Be polite, but firm. Stick to your guns and accept only an exchange or a complete refund. You want to walk away with a new laptop or all your wampum. You have some clout as a big ticket item customer. Does the retailer want your future purchases?

Now go get 'em! Ooo Rah!

joyfulPo
09-11-2012, 07:57 PM
Believe it or not, I'm not an expert either. From the picture, I'd say you have at least 2 defective pixels. They appear to have a little color, and so may not be dead, but that may be some internal reflection from the matte finish. There may be as many as 6 other pixels involved, but again, it's hard to tell from the picture if it is nott a problem with the finish.

Here's the deal, Dragon Warrior - you're bothered by the display, don't wanna order custom, and your retailer is 15 minutes away. Go down there, see if you can get an exchange for a screen that satisfies you, or take the refund and re-evaluate your purchase decision. Your choice!
I don't think it is the screen so much more anymore, it is the high resolution that make everything really small in the Google Chrome and I have to kinda zoom in on each page I visit, desktop is at 125% (normal) and it doesn't bother me.

I also did something in Windows that made the text clearer but now I have tried Firefox and Google Chrome, none of them seem to offer a permanent higher text and all that.

But yes, the dead pixels from my point of view is really annoying, kinda like you have a permanent dirty screen.
Not cool.

But back to the screen feeling not so well when surfing like on this site, all black and white, it feels like words are floating.
I think that really has to do with the high resolution and as I said, I kinda fixed that in Windows with everything else but for surfing, only feature is for each side I visit have to set it at 100% 105% 125%, etc.

I don't really think there is any better offer in this country for me, I really like this laptop except the trouble I had, that I hope is a one time thing and I will be accepted to get a new laptop right away as I havn't had this more then 24 hours yet and the dead pixels.

Hmmm. Yeah.

(Update: Okey, now I have tried the Google Chrome, Firefox and last the Internet Explorer
and it seem that with Internet Explorer, everything seem easier to read, not the way Google Chrome and Firefox is, I have no idea why but perhaps Internet Explorer go hand in hand with the settings I do in Windows to make words clearer and all that, what do you think?)

:confused:

dstrakele
09-11-2012, 08:08 PM
Doesn't matter what I think...it's all about you!

Be aware that browsers allow you to configure a default zoom level.

joyfulPo
09-11-2012, 08:13 PM
Doesn't matter what I think...it's all about you!

That's so true but I think I'm getting somewhere now.
But I'm so going to replace this one with a new G75V (going there tomorrow) and
hopefully come home with a new one the same day.

I just have to say sorry for 'panicking' here and being all worried.
And thanks alot for replying me here, it has been helpful and comforting.

dstrakele
09-11-2012, 08:25 PM
No apologies necessary. Don't worry, be happy!

Shawnnepc
09-11-2012, 08:26 PM
Most retailers have a no questions asked returns policy.

Your also doing a exchange so they really don't have any reason to deny you.

Also, if it's a physical retailer ask if you can open the laptop there. That way you can ensure that the product is fully functional before you leave.

When I go back to the store tomorrow, hm. Should I just tell them there is 6 dead pixels and I want a new one?
Because I fear it will be like a long process and perhaps they refuse and say they will try to repair it.

But as I bought the G75V today, not even had it for 24 hours, I should get a new pretty much the same day?

* There also seem to be a second problem, my wireless connection disconnects quite often while the ASUS G73Jh does not, during the same moment and time. In fact, the ASUS G73Jh never disconnects from the wireless but this one seems to do so and I'm 1 meter from the wireless box.

joyfulPo
09-11-2012, 10:07 PM
Most retailers have a no questions asked returns policy.

Your also doing a exchange so they really don't have any reason to deny you.

Also, if it's a physical retailer ask if you can open the laptop there. That way you can ensure that the product is fully functional before you leave.

Perhaps I should show them this from my cellphone? http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/1151/img20120911235634.jpg

It's a more clear photo of the "dirt" on my screen.
So when you see the new photo of it, what do you think of it?
To me it look like some black dots that have more dots like a tail, that is weaker dots but not completely black.

:)

dstrakele
09-12-2012, 12:01 AM
When you magnify that image, you can see it is actually a city of microscopic alien creatures.

That is a nice, sharp macro shot from a cell phone. What model do you have?

joyfulPo
09-12-2012, 12:15 AM
When you magnify that image, you can see it is actually a city of microscopic alien creatures.

That is a nice, sharp macro shot from a cell phone. What model do you have?

Hehe ;)
It is from Huawei U8860 and the phone is great. Really low SAR on both head and body. Plus it cost half of what you pay for HTC, Samsung and Apple.

It has a nice big screen and Android 4, hm. And the phone work really fast.

:)

john_from_ohio
09-12-2012, 12:22 AM
Looks like a dead pixel to me ... not that I am any expert ...

joyfulPo
09-12-2012, 12:31 AM
Looks like a dead pixel to me ... not that I am any expert ...

Just one dead pixel you think? I am no expert either.

Shawnnepc
09-12-2012, 01:22 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defective_pixel

Interesting read

rewben
09-12-2012, 02:55 AM
@joyfulPo, about your "floating texts", is it because you have 3D turned on when you're web surfing? try disable 3D vision and see.