PDA

View Full Version : G73SW-XT1 motherboard schematic?

acfreema
09-11-2012, 07:58 PM
I just bought a G73SW-XT1 with what I thought was a damaged jack, but turns out to be a damaged transistor. After some testing and probing, I have found the problem. I didn't think to take a picture, but it's the transistor that is part of the power routing from the AC adapter, and it's cooked. The unit still works if I provide power through the battery terminals, so I am hoping to find a way to replace this component.

Sadly, I can't read the characters on the transistor from the battery side, so I am looking for some documentation to clarify what it is that I need to solder in place. If anyone has a diagram, or happens to know what the transistor is (or maybe your machine happens to be apart for some heat-sink polishing? ;-) ), I would really like to know it.

As far as I can tell, it looks like AB15B, with FBR, or something right underneath it.

Simba7
09-11-2012, 09:39 PM
Curious on why it fried in the first place. Could you check the voltage on the AC adapter to make sure it's delivering at most 19-20V?

alexand
09-11-2012, 10:00 PM
lol...My G72 gx is now on its fourth motherboard.

This time i have noticed the ac tip gets very hot and the laptop changes from ac to battery continously. If i take the ac lead out it works fine on battery and if i switch the laptop off it charges perfectly.

I know if i continue to use the laptop with ac plugged in it will fry it again again. I have so far beenn unable to find a fix for the issue and so would be glaad to hear any suggestions.

cl-scott
09-11-2012, 10:04 PM
I'm sure such documentation exists, but even if I had access to it, I wouldn't be able to give it to you. So what I would suggest is putting out the call to have some people with the same unit to take a high resolution shot of that component, and/or read off the lettering on it.

acfreema
09-20-2012, 07:01 PM
I was a bit overwhelmed last week, but I will try to upload a picture of the cooked transistor tonight.

When I take a reading with a multimeter, there's 18.5v going to the power button. When I read the voltage at the battery terminals, I see 4.x and ~1.2 volts.

I don't know what kind of supply the previous owner used, but I am leaning toward the thought that this was either a power surge or a defective component. A power surge seems unlikely, because this is the only piece that shows signs of damage, unless it's also the weakest part. :shrug:

Tonight, I'm planning to stop at RadioHack to get more solder and a few fe/male spade things so I can hopefully get the unit to work (the main goal), and charge the battery (which is more of a personal achievement than for any sort of practicality).

...even if I had access to it, I wouldn't be able to give it to you.

I don't mean to be snide, but I'm sure you're familiar with the phrase "If you can't be part of the solution, don't be part of the problem.".

acfreema
09-24-2012, 03:22 AM
Ok, I finally got around to opening the case again, this time, with a camera.