PDA

View Full Version : Wireless internet drops randomly

Synned
09-13-2012, 05:55 PM
I have a G75VW-BBK5. The wireless internet will randomly drop and require me to right click and diagnose the connection before it will reconnect. This has been happening more frequent over the past few days. My friend has the same laptop and has the same issue at his house. When we are the same house together our laptops will lose connection at the same time.
Just post what details you need from me as I would love to get this fixed :/

Thanks in advance.
-Synn

soulctcher
09-13-2012, 07:52 PM
I'll say the same thing I've said in other threads...the Atheros card in the G75VW sucks. You might be able to fiddle around to get it to work better, but ever since I put an Intel 6235 in here, it's worked like a charm. 0% failure. Perfect.

joyfulPo
09-13-2012, 08:04 PM
Response to soulctcher: False, false, false, false. :mad: ;)

I've asked the same question to this community and ASUS Customer Support and my ISP.
None of them gave me the correct solution except for one guy that I know in real life that gave me the answer.

Solution is:
1. Go to your Wireless Settings on your modem (broadband router)
2. Change your 'Security Protocol', if it's on WPA2 - then change it to WPA
3. Change your Wireless password
4. Change your Network Name (SSID)
5. Save settings and turn off your modem (broadband router) & then turn on, of course :)

After this, the problem should be solved. If not, please tell and if it works, please tell aswell that it worked! :eek:

soulctcher
09-13-2012, 10:14 PM
Response to soulctcher: False, false, false, false. :mad: ;)

I've asked the same question to this community and ASUS Customer Support and my ISP.
None of them gave me the correct solution except for one guy that I know in real life that gave me the answer.

Solution is:
1. Go to your Wireless Settings on your modem (broadband router)
2. Change your 'Security Protocol', if it's on WPA2 - then change it to WPA
3. Change your Wireless password
4. Change your Network Name (SSID)
5. Save settings and turn off your modem (broadband router) & then turn on, of course :)

After this, the problem should be solved. If not, please tell and if it works, please tell aswell that it worked! :eek:
So, your "FIX" for this is to disable WPA2 (an actual SECURE protocol using AES encryption and not TKIP), and to enable WPA, an outdated, crackable wifi security setting?

This is a joke, and horrible advice. That is, unless you WANT people to break into your network. Please please please do not take this advice.

I am a certified CISSP in good standing and know what I'm talking about. (Verified here. (https://webportal.isc2.org/custom/CertificationVerificationResults.aspx?FN=Erik&LN=Winblad&CN=430114))

joyfulPo
09-13-2012, 10:29 PM
So, your "FIX" for this is to disable WPA2 (an actual SECURE protocol using AES encryption and not TKIP), and to enable WPA, an outdated, crackable wifi security setting?

This is a joke, and horrible advice. That is, unless you WANT people to break into your network. Please please please do not take this advice.

I am a certified CISSP in good standing and know what I'm talking about. (Verified here. (https://webportal.isc2.org/custom/CertificationVerificationResults.aspx?FN=Erik&LN=Winblad&CN=430114))

How many people break into somebodys wireless network? If they really badly wanted to break in, they will do it no matter if you have WPA2 or WPA.

But that is beside the point, are you saying I shouldn't share advice that fixes problems?
I think we let him be the judge of that. Infomartion is infomartion, don't be so judgey.

Isn't it more important to figure out why my solution fixes the problems?
Rather then telling me my solution to the problem is a joke?
Is this why we are here?
To tell people when they fixes "broken" things that they are a joke?

Why does the wireless do random disconnects with WPA2 but doesn't do random disconnects with WPA?
I think that is better questions than anything else.

varonecl
09-14-2012, 07:34 AM
I'll say the same thing I've said in other threads...the Atheros card in the G75VW sucks. You might be able to fiddle around to get it to work better, but ever since I put an Intel 6235 in here, it's worked like a charm. 0% failure. Perfect.

I am going to pick up this laptop today. If the atheros is really that bad, i would like to replace day one. can you post how you did so, if its simple then thats great.

Apexing
09-14-2012, 07:57 AM
I don´t have issues with my card.
would first try to uninstall all wifi+ethernet drivers, either use the buildin add/remove proram or try driversweeper.
then reinstall the drivers.

As said do not change your router stuff to WPA since it can be broknen within seconds, while WPA2 have not been broken into anytime at all.
-
oh and you who suggested that, this is not a fix it is a bypas, a fix would be to get it working the way it is.
and sure share your information, but also state that it is unsecure.

soulctcher
09-14-2012, 11:35 AM
How many people break into somebodys wireless network? If they really badly wanted to break in, they will do it no matter if you have WPA2 or WPA.

But that is beside the point, are you saying I shouldn't share advice that fixes problems?
I think we let him be the judge of that. Infomartion is infomartion, don't be so judgey.

Isn't it more important to figure out why my solution fixes the problems?
Rather then telling me my solution to the problem is a joke?
Is this why we are here?
To tell people when they fixes "broken" things that they are a joke?

Why does the wireless do random disconnects with WPA2 but doesn't do random disconnects with WPA?
I think that is better questions than anything else.
There are countless cases of personal information being stolen due to wireless network security flaws. One of the easiest ways to gather personal information from people is due to insecure wireless networks. There are very simple scripting tools that can break into insecure wireless networks with ease.

The information you've posted is not a fix, it is a workaround. Unfortunately, that workaround decreases the security of the wireless connection to where it can be cracked quite easily. Removing security measures for performance at this level is not recommended. You can share what you did, but everyone should be aware that this lowers security on your network, making it vulnerable to attack. There is no judgement here, it is simple truth.

You stated the my original post was "false false false", yet now you state exactly the point I was getting across. The Atheros card is poor quality. You yourself obviously have a problem with the WPA2 implementation. I and others have also had issues with connectivity. The bottom line is that the card is a lower-end card. It only supports 1 stream, 1 band, and has issues.

Replacing the card is quite easy for anyone who is not a complete novice, however it will void your warranty. For the benefit of others, as I stated above, I replaced mine with the Intel 6235, and I have not had a single issue since. The new card has been 100% flawless with both wireless connectivity and with the Bluetooth stack. My recommendation is to replace the card, IF you are willing to void the warranty.

varonecl
09-14-2012, 12:07 PM
There are countless cases of personal information being stolen due to wireless network security flaws. One of the easiest ways to gather personal information from people is due to insecure wireless networks. There are very simple scripting tools that can break into insecure wireless networks with ease.

The information you've posted is not a fix, it is a workaround. Unfortunately, that workaround decreases the security of the wireless connection to where it can be cracked quite easily. Removing security measures for performance at this level is not recommended. You can share what you did, but everyone should be aware that this lowers security on your network, making it vulnerable to attack. There is no judgement here, it is simple truth.

You stated the my original post was "false false false", yet now you state exactly the point I was getting across. The Atheros card is poor quality. You yourself obviously have a problem with the WPA2 implementation. I and others have also had issues with connectivity. The bottom line is that the card is a lower-end card. It only supports 1 stream, 1 band, and has issues.

Replacing the card is quite easy for anyone who is not a complete novice, however it will void your warranty. For the benefit of others, as I stated above, I replaced mine with the Intel 6235, and I have not had a single issue since. The new card has been 100% flawless with both wireless connectivity and with the Bluetooth stack. My recommendation is to replace the card, IF you are willing to void the warranty.

Every ASUS product I own has had troubles with this. Sitting 10 feet from my router on my Prime and yet it is only 2 signal bar strengths. It doesnt drop out completely but drop in connectivity when I have a fiber 75/35 connection are intolerable to look at.

Myk SilentShadow
09-14-2012, 01:46 PM
Uhhh actually, soulctcher is quite correct. WPA is practically weak. If anyone actually reads through their setup manuals, or online manuals for info on how to best use what they own, you'll see almost everywhere that it is highly recommended that you do not use WPA because it is so weak an encryption system. WPA2 is of course a lot better.

Now on to the topic at hand, before a Mod comes thru and starts issuing warnings, or telling you all to behave yourselves :p

Unfortunately it seems to be a pretty-well known fact(once you find out) that the Atheros Wifi modules that ASUS use for their RoG Laptops are quite frankly crap, i'd like to know why they insist on still using these inferior products in what is supposed to be a high quality and high end product.

Synned
10-19-2012, 12:33 AM
Sorry for not responding for a long time. I spent a lot of time researching it and finally fixed it (not sure how). My friend and I have the same laptop and it just randomly stopped crashing. Yesterday we were at my house using our laptops and our laptops would lose internet at the same time. And ever since then I keep losing internet randomly, as my previous problem. His laptop seems to be fine but mine keeps losing connection again. Thoughts on this? Also, I may just buy a new card but I would really like to see a tutorial on how to do this with the laptop I am using and a link to a decent card such as the Intel 6235 noted above.

Clintlgm
10-19-2012, 01:38 AM
Well there is another thread on the same subject, that poster finaly solved his problems doing just the oppisite, changing to WPA 2 from WPA? I wonder if the changing itself some how has something to do with this solution. I myself have never experienced a drop of connection. I use DLink 655 rounters with WPA 2 security these router are not the fastest but 64 mbs is more than enough for my internet connection download speed of 40 mbs

Synned
11-06-2012, 01:37 AM
Well, I have not been able to fix this problem. Could someone recommend a network card I could buy for this laptop and maybe post a video to help me swap out the cards? If another solution is known please post it. I have been unable to play games because of my disconnecting issues.

StereoROG
11-06-2012, 06:37 PM
I was going to open a thread called "Funny WiFi on G75" coz when i was thinking about it i was laughing my ass off.

But as long as this thread is WiFi related then i'll post it here:

I have an old laptop almost 5 year old HP 17 inch back in the days it was working really well it has a Broadcom WIfi N the funny thing is that on the HP i get 300mbps and on my super amazing G75 i get 72mbps and whats even more funny is that the laptop is almost next to the router it should easily go up to 150mbps i better glue the router to the laptop if i should go closer...

We can all put a stamp on Atheros as (****! not approved for gamers)

But then again love the G75 hope the new one will have a better Wireless card...

dstrakele
11-06-2012, 06:56 PM
It could be one of the WiFi antennas has disconnected from your Atheros card.

Synned
11-07-2012, 05:05 PM
Does anybody know of any videos showing someone opening the laptop to change the Wireless card? Could really use a step by step guide that way I don't break something, haha. Also, a link to a wireless card compatible would be nice as well.

kuudou
11-07-2012, 07:11 PM
Seeing as how my inquiry might be on topic in this thread. I'll throw this in there.

When I had my G73 I remember the Atheros driver working like crap, but eventually I found a site that provided download links to some of the more recent driver builds.

Unfortunately I believe it was some site based in Czech republic or something, because the Atheros website offers very little driver support.

I own an ASUS G75VW-DS72 here, with the Atheros 9485WB-EG. My driver is from 2011 and I have no idea where to find the latest compatible one. Has anyone here had any luck in that regard? It's actually working OK, I just want the most recent driver since I think it could be doing better.

Wolffie80
11-08-2012, 02:11 PM
i have boosted my router signals to 5 ghz.. and upgrade new firmware on the router as well.
(usind a D-Link DIR-655, Extreme N Wireless)
Seemed to fix my issue :)
at least less frecuently issues now :D

Synned
11-11-2012, 09:09 PM
This is what I get after I try to reconnect to my network after it drops. It says it cannot connect so I let it troubleshoot and says it fixes the error so I just copied the error. Hopefully this helps. :/

Problem with wireless adapter or access point Fixed

Reset the wireless adapter Completed

Network Diagnostics Log
File Name: 200973DF-51C3-4A11-BFCC-7BB7B9C403F2.Repair.Admin.1.etl

Windows cannot resolve your wireless connectivity issue.

Detection details

Diagnostics Information (Network Adapter)
Details about network adapter diagnosis:

Network adapter Wireless Network Connection driver information:

Description . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR9485WB-EG Wireless Network Adapter
Manufacturer . . . . . . . . . : Atheros Communications Inc.
Provider . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros Communications Inc.
Version . . . . . . . . . . . : 9.2.0.469
Inf File Name . . . . . . . . . : C:\Windows\INF\oem17.inf
Inf File Date . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, November 23, 2011 3:12:50 AM
Section Name . . . . . . . . . : ATHR_DEV_OS61_2C971A3B.ndi
Hardware ID . . . . . . . . . . : pci\ven_168c&dev_0032&subsys_2c971a3b
Instance Status Flags . . . . . : 0x180200a
Device Manager Status Code . . : 0
IfType . . . . . . . . . . . . : 71
Physical Media Type . . . . . . : 9

Diagnostics Information (Wireless Connectivity)
Details about wireless connectivity diagnosis:

Information for connection being diagnosed
Interface name: Atheros AR9485WB-EG Wireless Network Adapter
Interface type: Native WiFi
Profile: World of Synn
SSID: World of Synn
SSID length: 13
Connection mode: Infra
Security: Yes
Connect even if network is not broadcasting: No

Connection incident diagnosed
Auto Configuration ID: 2
Connection ID: 4

Connection status summary
Connection started at: 2012-11-11 14:37:08-275
Profile match: Success
Pre-Association: Success
Association: Fail
Security and Authentication: Not started

List of visible access point(s): 19 item(s) total, 19 item(s) displayed
BSSID BSS Type PHY Signal(dB) Chnl/freq SSID
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
00-18-F8-D5-3C-D6 Infra g -86 6 ViperwavStudios
58-6D-8F-0D-D1-38 Infra <unknown> -48 6 World of Synn
58-6D-8F-0D-D1-39 Infra <unknown> -50 6 Cisco80368-guest
94-44-52-A6-E4-CE Infra <unknown> -89 6 Locked
00-1E-8C-D9-D9-87 Infra g -84 11 Chris
E0-46-9A-58-46-B2 Infra <unknown> -86 2 NETGEAR
00-8E-F2-5B-D2-E8 Infra <unknown> -84 5 NETGEAR47
E0-46-9A-DE-28-F7 Infra g -89 6 11FX09067201
0C-D5-02-22-EB-56 Infra g -91 6 10FX09109876
0C-D5-02-64-1F-17 Infra g -90 6 10FX12211784
58-6D-8F-42-15-60 Infra <unknown> -87 6 GOGREEN
00-26-F2-F5-E4-7D Infra <unknown> -85 1 jerry-df3743c46-Wireless
0C-D5-02-25-EC-60 Infra g -91 6 10FX09165728
20-4E-7F-06-7D-24 Infra g -85 11 514 king
20-AA-4B-99-96-16 Infra <unknown> -87 11 GaleCriner
20-AA-4B-99-96-17 Infra <unknown> -88 11 GaleCriner-guest
34-E0-CF-C5-BD-5E Infra <unknown> -85 1 Jr_MiFi
74-31-70-EE-87-6F Infra <unknown> -90 1 MOTOROLA-7CFA0
74-31-70-A9-1C-B5 Infra <unknown> -87 1 MOTOROLA-2A271

Connection History

Information for Auto Configuration ID 3

List of visible networks: 19 item(s) total, 19 item(s) displayed
BSS Type PHY Security Signal(RSSI) Compatible SSID
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Infra g Yes 28 Yes ViperwavStudios
Infra <unknown> Yes 100 Yes World of Synn
Infra <unknown> No 100 Yes Cisco80368-guest
Infra <unknown> Yes 16 Yes Locked
Infra g Yes 32 Yes Chris
Infra <unknown> Yes 28 Yes NETGEAR
Infra <unknown> Yes 32 Yes NETGEAR47
Infra g Yes 16 Yes 11FX09067201
Infra g Yes 12 Yes 10FX09109876
Infra g Yes 14 Yes 10FX12211784
Infra <unknown> Yes 26 Yes GOGREEN
Infra <unknown> Yes 30 Yes jerry-df3743c46-Wireless
Infra g Yes 12 Yes 10FX09165728
Infra g Yes 30 Yes 514 king
Infra <unknown> Yes 26 Yes GaleCriner
Infra <unknown> No 18 Yes GaleCriner-guest
Infra <unknown> Yes 34 Yes Jr_MiFi
Infra <unknown> Yes 14 Yes MOTOROLA-7CFA0
Infra <unknown> Yes 26 Yes MOTOROLA-2A271

List of preferred networks: 2 item(s)
Profile: Glow in the dark cat
SSID: Glow in the dark cat
SSID length: 20
Set by group policy: No
Connectable: No
Reason: 0x00028002
Connectable: Yes

Information for Connection ID 5
Connection started at: 2012-11-11 14:37:10-692
Auto Configuration ID: 3
Pre-Association and Association
Connectivity settings provided by hardware manufacturer (IHV): No
Security settings provided by hardware manufacturer (IHV): No
Profile matches network requirements: Success
Pre-association status: Success
Association status: Fail 0x00000000
Association reason code: 0x00000000

Synned
11-11-2012, 09:32 PM
Part 2:

Information for Auto Configuration ID 2

List of visible networks: 17 item(s) total, 17 item(s) displayed
Infra g Yes 26 Yes ViperwavStudios
Infra <unknown> Yes 100 Yes World of Synn
Infra <unknown> No 98 Yes Cisco80368-guest
Infra <unknown> Yes 14 Yes Locked
Infra g Yes 32 Yes Chris
Infra <unknown> Yes 28 Yes NETGEAR
Infra <unknown> Yes 30 Yes NETGEAR47
Infra g Yes 16 Yes 10FX09109876
Infra g Yes 36 Yes 514 king
Infra <unknown> Yes 26 Yes GaleCriner
Infra <unknown> No 18 Yes GaleCriner-guest
Infra <unknown> Yes 34 Yes Jr_MiFi

Reason: 0x00028006

Information for Connection ID 4
Connection started at: 2012-11-11 14:37:08-275
Association status: Fail 0x00038002
Association reason code: 0x00000002

Information for Connection ID 3
Connection started at: 2012-11-11 14:36:58-289

Information for Connection ID 2
Connection started at: 2012-11-11 14:36:56-454

Information for Auto Configuration ID 1

List of visible networks: 14 item(s) total, 14 item(s) displayed
Infra g Yes 30 Yes ViperwavStudios
Infra <unknown> Yes 98 Yes World of Synn
Infra <unknown> No 96 Yes Cisco80368-guest
Infra <unknown> Yes 18 Yes Locked
Infra g Yes 16 Yes Chris
Infra <unknown> Yes 8 Yes NETGEAR
Infra <unknown> Yes 4 Yes NETGEAR47
Infra g Yes 16 Yes 10FX09109876
Infra g Yes 38 Yes 514 king

Diagnostics Information (Wireless Connectivity)
Details about wireless connectivity diagnosis:

For complete information about this session see the wireless connectivity information event.

Helper Class: Auto Configuration
Initialize status: Success

Interface GUID: bd43f191-7b79-4d82-941f-2e859dbee52d

Result of diagnosis: Problem found
Issue referred to: RNWF MSM Helper Class

Root cause:
Windows could not connect to "World of Synn"
You can try to connect again.

Repair option:
Reset your wireless network adapter
This will disable and then enable the network adapter "Wireless Network Connection" on this computer.

Diagnostics Information (Wireless Network Adapter)
Details about wireless network adapter diagnosis:

For complete information about this session see the wireless connectivity information event.

Helper Class: Native WiFi MSM
Initialize status: Success

Interface GUID: bd43f191-7b79-4d82-941f-2e859dbee52d

Result of diagnosis: Problem found

Root cause:
Wireless association to "World of Synn" failed
A response was not received from the router or access point.

Detailed root cause:
Wireless association to this network failed. Windows did not receive any response from the wireless router or accesspoint.

Repair option:
Look for causes of low wireless signal quality
The signal is weak due to distance or interference.
Windows Help and Support can provide more information about this problem.

tkolarik
11-12-2012, 04:50 AM
The fact that my Best Buy model has a wifi card that is cheaper than my 2 year old $239 netbook and drops and studders when i play a game doesn't make disabling security a fix. At some point in time we should really stop calling the Best Buy G75 a G75. We should probably call it G75 Lite!

finalhour
11-12-2012, 07:27 AM
I fixed the issue by rolling back a driver....

Nemeth
11-12-2012, 03:44 PM
Just tried a new driver for the Atheros card, and it seems fine. Stays connected at 150mbps and doesnt drop the connection at all. Using WPA2 as well.
Here's the link for the driver download: http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-download.php?chipset=61&system=5

Thats a Win7 driver btw.

Synned
11-12-2012, 07:01 PM
Just tried a new driver for the Atheros card, and it seems fine. Stays connected at 150mbps and doesnt drop the connection at all. Using WPA2 as well.
Here's the link for the driver download: http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-download.php?chipset=61&system=5

Thats a Win7 driver btw.

Sorry for being computer illiterate about this but how do I install the files downloaded from there? I went to the site and got the .zip but it just has a bunch of non-executable files. Thanks in advance.

Clintlgm
11-12-2012, 09:47 PM
Update the driver from Device Manager, direct it to the folder where you have the updated drivers

Synned
11-13-2012, 03:39 AM
Alright, I installed it. I will give it 24 hours. Hopefully it works. :3

Synned
11-13-2012, 06:32 PM
The problem persists.

cbpagent72
11-22-2012, 08:19 PM
The problem persists.

Everyone who experiences these issues should report to the Better Business bureau about the failure of Asus meet performance claims for the wireless cards and request the cards to be swapped out with better performing cards. Other buyers should be made aware of these issues.

dstrakele
11-23-2012, 12:00 AM
What IS ASUS' performance claim for the WiFi cards that is not being met?

If it is for 802.1 b/g/n, I'm seeing it met. No case here...

rewben
11-23-2012, 05:51 AM
there are many things that can lead to problematic wifi connection, but i think the common ones are these:
1. drivers;
2. router settings;
3. power savings feature in windows;
4. loosened antenna of your wifi card;
4. maybe a faulty card.

the latest for atheros wifi for win7 that i can find is 10.0.0.209 (http://www.station-drivers.com/telechargement/atheros/wifi/atheros_wifi_10.0.0.216-w7-8(www.station-drivers.com).exe) (it's 209 for win7, 216 for win8); i'm using this 209 since it became available. i am running clean installed win7 btw.

from asus's support page (http://support.asus.com/Search/KDetail.aspx?SLanguage=en&no=1773&t=1) regarding this, it mentioned about router configurations and disabling power savings option.

if the drivers, router setup, and windows configurations couldn't fix the issue, it's likely that the hardware might have problems.

dstrakele
11-23-2012, 11:37 AM
Good Post, @rewben! I agree - If you've updated your driver and followed the steps in the article you referenced and still experience problems, it's likely there's a hardware problem.

ljackson
03-17-2013, 09:28 AM
I had the same problem of intermittent connections. I dont know what wireless adapter the G75 has but my G73 used the Qualcomm Atheros AR9285. This card is sh!t!! If your drivers are updated and configurations are correct, its probably the card itself. The antennas do come loose. If you don't want to replace the card for general purposes, try physically removing it and then reinstall. The card is shot if if that does not fix your problem.

rewben
03-17-2013, 10:52 AM
@ljackson, i don't know; the card that i have can give me a 150mbps depending on the wireless router i am connecting to.

to find out what your card is, look it up in device manager.

ianhamer
01-07-2014, 06:27 AM
Has anyone upgraded to a Bigfoot KillerN card? I have had a couple friends recommend these to me and the reviews seem VERY promising. Much more promising then the cheaper Intel 6235 (which some people had as STOCK on their machines)

rewben
01-07-2014, 05:42 PM
yeah one of our friends here had the bigfoot killerN card. he could reach 450Mbps with the right router with only 2 antennas.

many claimed intel 6235 has issues. however that's not not my case. i am running it without issues.

if you wanna put in new card, i suggest intel 7260 .ac, coupled with asus rt-ac66u or rt-ac68u. mine is running 866.7Mbps without issues.