PDA

View Full Version : G73JH BSOD / Freezing / Lockups

orb360
09-14-2012, 02:25 AM
Earlier this year my vid card was overheating (100+)

I RMA'd it and they replaced the card and now it runs great (70's)

However the past week it's started crashing while playing GW2.

The frequency has increased over time.

I updated the ATI drivers (HD 5870) and the audio drivers, but the crashing continues to get worse... :(

I've monitored the temps and they are still reasonable (70's)

The BSOD is "Unrecognized hardware error has occured"

When I check the system logs, I'm getting hundreds of WHEL logs with error 17

The log is:

Description:
A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Component: PCI Express Root Port
Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)

Busevice:Function: 0x0:0x3:0x0
Vendor IDevice ID: 0x8086:0xd138
Class Code: 0x30400

I've put in an tech support request, but the laptop's warrantee has expired since they filled the last RMA for the temps 3 months ago.

I'm running BIOS 213 (most recent)
most recent catalyst drivers (12.8)
most recent realtek drivers (cant remember version number)

I'm not sure what vBios is on the HD 5870... how would I check that? would that even matter with this issue?

I'd like to play GW2 more :(

Thanks

orb360
09-14-2012, 02:59 PM
This morning the G73 will no longer boot past login :/

Two days ago it was every 2 hours or so playing GW2.
Yesterday it was in windows
Today it's right after login

Getting worse worries me...

However, on the bright side, safe mode is still stable... (at least it hasn't manifested there yet)

I also ran an old Ubuntu 8.04 live CD with no issues for an hour or so (but I don't think that loads 3D drivers)

ASUS tech support still hasn't got back to me yet either :/

dstrakele
09-14-2012, 03:29 PM
Based on http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/0a0f3f22-532d-4fa5-b9d4-f49032d69e2d, I'd probably try updating to the latest Intel Chipset driver using the -overall switch for installation. Maybe stopping the ATI External Event Utility service as well.. But I must admit, the progression of your issue sounds ominous.

orb360
09-14-2012, 05:24 PM
Do you have a direct link to the G73JH chipset drivers?

I tried using their automated method but it just says they are already up to date... :/

There's a post that says with the direct link you can do a -overall -override to force a re-install

orb360
09-14-2012, 09:52 PM
I've reverted the ATI drivers to 8.683.0.0 (from 2009)

I updated the intel chipset from x.1022 to x.1027 (manually using the intel drivers off ASUS's site and adding -overide -overall)

When idling I get significantly less WHEA-Logger Error 17 warnings

However, when I run the Unigine Heaven DX11 benchmark I get them about 5-6 per minute.

Although, it hasn't BSOD'd on me or rebooted randomly yet.

I will try a gaming session tonight and report back.

Reporting back:

Just got another BSOD in under less than an hour of playing.

orb360
09-15-2012, 07:22 AM
More information:

I swapped the PCI Express Root driver for the PCI Express Standard Root driver.

I was able to play for a couple hours before the BSOD this time.

Everytime I change something it seems to get better for a period of time, but then quickly digresses back to unusable.

I hear it's a timing issue in this thread http://communities.intel.com/thread/6707?start=105&tstart=0

where either the mobo or vid card is getting out of sync.

they say that there should be a bios update that would change the timings on the card, but I'm already running the latest vBIOS (the v93 one for the GSOD) and the latest mobo bios (213)

Perhaps I should try reverting to an older BIOS and see if that helps (although I'd hate to bring GSOD's back)

This computer is really a pain in the *** to get working right... :(

dstrakele
09-15-2012, 12:16 PM
Still the same Bugcheck Code on all the latest BSOD's?

It is possible your solution may not be software.

orb360
09-15-2012, 04:53 PM
It's the same error / bus / device / everything...

I spoke with the ASUS ASP guys and they said it would be 45 + repair costs to fix it if I don't get an RMA...

How much would a new video card / motherboard cost if I were to just have them fix it? (probably more than the laptop's worth)

Hopefully I'll get an RMA... The laptop was 1 month out of warrantee when they gave me the last RMA... But since it's having issues again so soon...

:(

orb360
09-20-2012, 09:47 PM
So ASUS TechSupport told me to try loading last good configuration, and then attempting recovery.

Neither worked... bluescreened during window's first boot... couldn't actually get past that.

I put in an RMA Request linking to the TechSupport request.

If they turn me down (I really hope not... they just replaced the vid card a couple months ago...) Is there somewhere I can go to get a vid card or mobo cheap?

Looks like it would cost ~250 + labor to replace either if I have the Asus Service Center do it...

Is that worth it? Especially for a laptop plagued with so many issues :/