PDA

View Full Version : G74SX trackpad is slowly killing me on the inside

ChikNoods
09-14-2012, 02:32 AM
I know this sounds like a broken record, but I need some help. Ive checked the forum, but didnt find my answer.

My FN+DISABLE PAD doesnt work. The FN key does work, because I can use every other option. volume, brightness, keyboard backlight etc etc, but no disable trackpad

I updated the trackpad to 9.1 I believe and that didnt help.

The problem is 1, cant use FN key. 2, the trackpad makes the cursor jump all over the screen and it makes typing impossible. Ive had to correct this post alone 11 times.

I cant go into > control panel > mouse > finger pad >CONFIG -- it wont let me in the sentelic config to mess with it

is the best way to just uninstall the trackpad driver???

thanks!!!!

Noflak
09-14-2012, 02:57 AM
I know this sounds like a broken record, but I need some help. Ive checked the forum, but didnt find my answer.

My FN+DISABLE PAD doesnt work. The FN key does work, because I can use every other option. volume, brightness, keyboard backlight etc etc, but no disable trackpad

I updated the trackpad to 9.1 I believe and that didnt help.

The problem is 1, cant use FN key. 2, the trackpad makes the cursor jump all over the screen and it makes typing impossible. Ive had to correct this post alone 11 times.

I cant go into > control panel > mouse > finger pad >CONFIG -- it wont let me in the sentelic config to mess with it

is the best way to just uninstall the trackpad driver???

thanks!!!!
ok i found this one

If none of the above solutions work for your brand of laptop, try TouchPad Pal – it’s a free Windows utility that will temporarily disable the touchpad of your laptop as you go into typing mode. The utility runs in the system tray and requires no configuration.

Finally, if you would like to get rid of the touchpad completely, you can consider disabling it through the BIOS itself. The exact path that you need to follow to reach the Pointing Devices section in your BIOS may however vary for different laptops.

http://download.cnet.com/1770-20_4-0.html?query=touchpad&platformSelect=Windows&tag=srch&searchtype=downloads&filterName=platform%3DWindows&filter=platform%3DWindows

try downloading any of the programs they are free it will disable your touch pad.
if it works great if not i will check for any solution.

ChikNoods
09-14-2012, 03:04 AM
I installed the touchpad pal. I'll have to use for a while and see if it really works. I'm trying to type a lot to see if it messes up. the popup window that says "click blocked" is very annoying though.

also, touchpad pal doesnt work, as I am still having the same problem

I appreciate the reply

ravincia
09-14-2012, 05:50 AM
See if this works:
Uninstall your driver, restart then reinstall the driver again. Go to your touchpad settings and make sure you dont have the "disable mousepad automatically when usb mouse is detected" checked. (that option has been buggy even with the older g73 models.

thesting
09-14-2012, 02:04 PM
I'm using 9.1.7.7 Sentelic. I had the same problem with another driver version...?

chrsplmr
09-14-2012, 02:16 PM
Is there a checkbox to uncheck for just the touchpad in msconfig start up ?

(click the start button and type msconfig in the search box).c.

dstrakele
09-14-2012, 02:33 PM
Check out this post: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?17196-Touchpad-no-longer-disabled-by-hotkey-(Fn-F9)-and-Backlight-Error-(G74S)&p=117372&viewfull=1#post117372 to confirm you have a Sentelic touchpad and how to cleanly install the 9.1.7.7 driver if you do.

The G74SX ships with both Sentelic and Synaptics touchpads. Failure to disable is a symptom of installing the wrong driver. Driver remnants from past uninstallations may also cause problems.

You still could have a defective touchpad after all. A poor grounding method used on G74SX touchpads is known to cause erratic cursor movement during normal use (not while typing) , and could possibly damage the touchpad over time.

ChikNoods
09-14-2012, 05:56 PM
@chrsplmr, in my msconfig, the finger sensing pad is unchecked and it wont stay checked after reboot. Ive tried that for a few days.

@dstrakele, im triying your post. Uninstalling finger sensing pad (sentelic) and reinstall -- gotta reboot

For the moment touchfreeze from google is helping

after reboot and further reading of that thread
" Then launch Device Manager, expand "Mice and other pointing devices", right-click on the touchpad device and choose "Properties" from the popup menu. "

I dont have that option in device manager
>Mice and pointer
L__HID Compliant Mouse
L__PS/2 Compatible mouse

my touchpad is working, so something is installed

dstrakele
09-14-2012, 10:14 PM
Right-click on PS/2 Compatible mouse...

ChikNoods
09-14-2012, 11:49 PM
awesome

got the config back. I enabled the setting that disabled the touchpad when an mouse is plugged in. so now i shouldnt have to worry about it.

no more problems and FN+F9 works again!!!

http://i.imgur.com/yHVPL.jpg

dstrakele
09-15-2012, 01:29 AM
Glad to hear you're no longer being killed from the inside... You now owe this forum tribute for saving your life.

You must monitor user posts and whenever someone has a similar issue, you must direct them to your solution. If you read of any other solutions, you will reference those to users that report the problem.

By doing this, you will learn more about laptops than you thought possible and never again encounter a problem you can't resolve.

PILGRIM
09-15-2012, 04:15 AM
Haha... Love the conversation on this thread..
Keep it rollin', Professor dstrakele. ;-)

ChikNoods
09-15-2012, 05:00 PM
glad to hear you're no longer being killed from the inside... You now owe this forum tribute for saving your life.

You must monitor user posts and whenever someone has a similar issue, you must direct them to your solution. If you read of any other solutions, you will reference those to users that report the problem.

By doing this, you will learn more about laptops than you thought possible and never again encounter a problem you can't resolve.

yes!!!!
My life for auir!

PILGRIM
09-15-2012, 05:35 PM
By the way, ChikNoods.. I know that girl you posted.
She was my next-door neighbor.. before she moved to Shanghai..
(..or was she the same girl?;))

ChikNoods
09-17-2012, 05:24 AM
By the way, ChikNoods.. I know that girl you posted.
She was my next-door neighbor.. before she moved to Shanghai..
(..or was she the same girl?;))

hey bud.
Thats Hwang Mi Hee -- idk if you guys are neighbors lol

Im still messing with this trackpad. It wont enable on restart. So im kinda back to square one. Cant use FN F9, cant config touchpad

ravincia
09-17-2012, 08:20 AM
Ever tried using driversweeper? Its free on the internet. Try using it to remove any remnants of the trackpad driver after you uninstall it. then RESTART before you reinstall it again. :)

ChikNoods
09-17-2012, 05:23 PM
Ever tried using driversweeper? Its free on the internet. Try using it to remove any remnants of the trackpad driver after you uninstall it. then RESTART before you reinstall it again. :)

yeah
There isnt anything left over to clean.

dstrakele
09-17-2012, 06:22 PM
I think you may have exhausted your software resolution possibilities and may have a defective touchpad.

ChikNoods
09-17-2012, 10:07 PM
I think you may have exhausted your software resolution possibilities and may have a defective touchpad.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
DONT SAY THESE THINGGGSSSS!!!!!!!

Im going to give up on trying to fix it and im going to try to break it. If I can install the wrong driver to disable the touchpad or even open the laptop up and d/c the wire -- this would satisfy me

ChikNoods
09-22-2012, 12:07 AM
I gotta revive this.

Ive installed both driver versions

both work great --- once i reboot all goes back to how it was. No FN F9 no config in mouse options

cursor all over the screen.. someone tell me how to break it. I dont ever want this pad to live in this world. its not meant to be

dstrakele
09-22-2012, 02:50 AM
Assuming you've confirmed you have a Sentelic touchpad by hardware ID, If you install the Sentelic 9.1.7.7 driver, you can successfully disable the touchpad from the BIOS, then just use a USB Mouse. The 9.1.3.5 version has a bug that causes the keyboard to also get disabled when you do so from the BIOS.

Alternatively, you can RMA the laptop and even request they install a Synaptics touch pad.

ChikNoods
09-22-2012, 04:29 AM
I updated my BIOS to 203

the touchpad has survived a few restarts and its currently working.
Thats an improvement from before when it wouldnt survive 1 restart