PDA

View Full Version : G74SX AC/Battery indicator problem



Druzyek
09-14-2012, 11:08 AM
I bought a G74SX laptop a year ago and recently started having the same problem that several others with this model have. The battery indicator switches from AC to battery once a second or so. I suspected that the power cable may have been damaged since I recently moved to a country where the electricity is unreliable and can vary wildly. However, I tried plugging in the cable at another person's house in my town and the problem disappeared. I can rotate the cable in the jack and pull it in and out and the problem doesn't reappear. This makes me think that the cable is alright and that the jack and pin are not damaged (also, the pin is solid and does not wiggle). My question now is this: does it sound like the problem is just the electricity in my house? Also, am I damaging my computer by plugging it in at home where it switches from AC to battery so quickly?

kkn
09-14-2012, 11:38 AM
if you post in the laptop section you will get quicker reply :)

Druzyek
09-14-2012, 11:47 AM
Alright. I don't want to double-post though. Can a moderator more it for me?

dstrakele
09-14-2012, 10:33 PM
The problem may lie in your power adapter, connector plug or pin, motherboard, battery, or possibly poor grounding of your home outlet. This may damage your laptop, but most frequently kills your battery.

Does your power adapter plug or battery get extremely hot? You want to isolate the possible cause. It sounds like your test at your friend's house indicates poor grounding at your house.

If you remove your battery and start the laptop, does the issue still occur?

brecker
09-14-2012, 11:07 PM
The psu may not be getting enough power to power the laptop. It would be interesting if you could do some readings out of a plug. If this is the case a stabilizer might be able to correct it. But if the power varies too wildly a cheap stabilizer can make it worst.

Perhaps the wiring of your house is damaged and it delivers less current than expected. Maybe I'm wrong though...

If you get a tester just put it in volts and select any number that's above your current(110v / 220v) and put the ends in the plug. Then you'll know if the voltage is stable or not.

Now for the damage part, it is most likely that the internal hardware won't suffer from this treatment in the short run (unless the output voltage from the psu to the notebook goes above 20v or the argument below, you can read that value in the same way), but your battery life will. Li-ion battery's don't know how much battery is left, so they rely on statistics and temperature to estimate this. If the battery is switching states all the time it will most likely raise it's temperature much faster. So it will discharge faster. There will be a point that it will discharge faster than the amount it is charged this way.

Also I wouldn't be doing gpu intensive tasks while you are having this issue. We all know our battery's can't fully power our gpu's on their own. So the gpu may be constantly switching voltage profiles and become unstable, perhaps resulting in a bsod / artifacts / driver crash or some other error. I don't think a few iterations of this errors would kill it, but bumping into a lot of this errors recklessly could do some damage or reduce it's expected lifetime.

Following the same thought as above I wouldn't use turboboost as well.

Back in to the subject, maybe the line is overchaged and it can't deliver an extra stable 150w for the notebook, have you tried different plugs of your house?

Hopefully you can solve this issue somehow

brecker
09-14-2012, 11:14 PM
This happens with the notebook off as well? if it does you don't have to start the laptop to test it, just check the light without the battery...

if the current from the psu to the notebook is stable and below 20v and it's polarity doesn't vary, which it is most likely your case, it is safe to start it without the battery, but if you have a tester at hand it would be safer to read it before testing this...

dstrakele
09-15-2012, 12:09 AM
Glad to see you weigh in on this thread, @breker! I was waiting for @Druzyek to report the connector plug was extremely hot to reference your post on polarity issues. Hopefully some progress can be made on this puzzling (to me anyway), but not uncommon problem.