PDA

View Full Version : SSD Install and OS install

varonecl
09-14-2012, 12:36 PM
I am purchasing the BB G75 today and I want to install an SSD to run the primary OS, and use the 5400 rpm hdd in the secondary slot. Can anyone point me to some instruction on how to completely configure this setup to make it seamless. I am aware than I need to do a clean install of the OS on the SSD to get best results, I know how to install an SSD. I even know how to format the 5400 rpm hdd, so I am not completely tech ignorant, but have seen a lot of people have trouble with this process on this system for some reason. thanks for the help n advance.

dstrakele
09-14-2012, 12:49 PM
Here's a good guide for installing Windows 7 to the SSD: http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds.

iMario999
09-14-2012, 12:55 PM
Also, I heard you should put the SSD on slot 1, and the actual hard drive on slot 2.

varonecl
09-14-2012, 01:04 PM
thanks a lot guys. Ill post here later today on how everything works out.

dstrakele
09-14-2012, 01:25 PM
You may wish to update ASUS Ai Recovery and burn the Recovery DVD's before you start, in case you ever wish to return the system to a Factory state (for resale).

john_from_ohio
09-14-2012, 02:44 PM
I am purchasing the BB G75 today and I want to install an SSD to run the primary OS, and use the 5400 rpm hdd in the secondary slot. Can anyone point me to some instruction on how to completely configure this setup to make it seamless. I am aware than I need to do a clean install of the OS on the SSD to get best results, I know how to install an SSD. I even know how to format the 5400 rpm hdd, so I am not completely tech ignorant, but have seen a lot of people have trouble with this process on this system for some reason. thanks for the help n advance.

You need a Win 7 install disk that already has SP1 on it ... old WIn 7 install disks will not work.

varonecl
09-14-2012, 06:01 PM
Ok so the cloning did not work with the Intel 530 series acronis software and I do not have a Win7 SP1 disk. Has anyone been able to use the recovery CDs to load onto the SSD?

dstrakele
09-14-2012, 06:12 PM
The article I referenced in my earlier post discusses how to download a legal Windows 7/SP1 .ISO file from Digital River. You download the version to match what shipped with you laptop, burn it out DVD or flash drive, and use the Windows 7 Product Key on the label on the bottom of your laptop to activate your new installation.

varonecl
09-14-2012, 06:33 PM
i did notice that, however i wanted to keep all the ASUS software that came with the laptop without re-dling from the site. I am making the DVDs now for the recovery in case resale happens as was suggested and the WIN7 as the guide you suggested so i could have one in file. I just wanted to see if a full restore to the ssd on this machine was attempted by anyone successfully

dstrakele
09-14-2012, 06:48 PM
I see. In your OP you stated, " I am aware than I need to do a clean install of the OS on the SSD to get best results..." Typically, a clean Windows 7 install means no cloning and no ASUS Bloatware.

It is possible to use the Recovery DVD's to do an ASUS Factory Restore to the SSD. You can even choose not to copy the 25 GB ASUS hidden Recovery partition if you desire.

varonecl
09-14-2012, 07:08 PM
I see. In your OP you stated, " I am aware than I need to do a clean install of the OS on the SSD to get best results..." Typically, a clean Windows 7 install means no cloning and no ASUS Bloatware.

It is possible to use the Recovery DVD's to do an ASUS Factory Restore to the SSD. You can even choose not to copy the 25 GB ASUS hidden Recovery partition if you desire.

that is my fault. i originally planned to do the clean install, but decided against after unboxing and the availabilty of a larger SSD thanks to BB selling the laptop @1149 instead of @1249 which gave me a larger budget for the SSD.

Apexing
09-14-2012, 07:22 PM
I simply used the program called Paragon Migrate OS to SSD, it migrates your whole windows install+programs and everything to the ssd, rewrites all locations so they are correct. aswell as allocate the ssd to the proper segments so that speeds are optimal. and it all takes less than 10 min or so. once done, go into bios/bootmode select the ssd as boot, then format the windows partition from the old hdd.
I even have the SSD in the 2nd drive bay and it still works flawlessly.

the program is easily obtained online.

varonecl
09-14-2012, 09:24 PM
Thanks gents! I got my g75 config properly and partitioned. installing guild wars 2 and WoW at the same time.

john_from_ohio
09-14-2012, 11:32 PM
i did notice that, however i wanted to keep all the ASUS software that came with the laptop without re-dling from the site. I am making the DVDs now for the recovery in case resale happens as was suggested and the WIN7 as the guide you suggested so i could have one in file. I just wanted to see if a full restore to the ssd on this machine was attempted by anyone successfully

Find Cecils thread on doing the recovery ... yes ... extensively documented ... hard to do it wrong with all the instructions!

DFox
09-16-2012, 01:32 AM
Hi guys,

I have a Samsung 830 SSD 256GB ready to be installed. I made the recovery discs and plan to use those discs on the SSD.

I've been reading over the forums and this guide: http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds

My question is, after installing the OS to the SSD, when I move my current HDD to the second bay, do I need to reformat the HDD? Will there be any conflicts since the OS is still installed on the current HDD?

Thank you for any help

DFox
09-17-2012, 02:36 AM
So I went ahead and installed the new SSD with no problems, i'm running it as we speak.

The HDD that came with the laptop is currently uninstalled from the laptop. I would like to reconnect this HDD so I can have a 2nd drive for storage.

My question is: the HDD still has windows installed from when i bought the G75, do I need to reformat this drive before reconnecting to the laptop?

Thank you!

rewben
09-17-2012, 03:36 AM
heh i think you can just put it in and try booting your machine up and see how it goes. imo it should be fine.

the best practice would be keeping the stock drive for a while, not formatting it right away. in case something bad happens, you do not need to go through the mess to get your machine up for further investigations.

it's also important that you have the recovery discs (and its iso files if possible, in case the dvds don't work) created.