PDA

View Full Version : Turning off the GPU?

AlanMcKinnon
09-14-2012, 06:47 PM
Hey guys, so I'm in talks with an Xotic rep to try and resolve the performance/color gradient issues on my G75 and he wants to me run some programs with the GPU turned off. He says that I should be able to turn off the GPU via Nvidia Control Panel, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do it.

Any help? Am I just missing something obvious?

c_man
09-14-2012, 07:02 PM
G75 does not have Optimus so there is nothing you can turn off from NCP.

AlanMcKinnon
09-14-2012, 07:03 PM
Well that makes me feel confident in Xotic's customer support...

dstrakele
09-14-2012, 07:04 PM
That would be a learning experience for me as well. I thought Optimus was disabled on these systems. I always turn off my GPU by choosing. "Start - Shutdown".

I'm still betting you need to reseat or replace the LVDS cable.

AlanMcKinnon
09-14-2012, 07:13 PM
At this point I just want to RMA and stop all the guess work. I'll probably do so within the week.

This is all very tiresome. I greatly appreciate all of the help the forums have given me over the past couple of weeks.

dstrakele
09-14-2012, 07:20 PM
PM cl_scott on this forum and request he assist you with the RMA. You need someone from ASUS on your side to make sure all goes well.

Shawnnepc
09-14-2012, 07:21 PM
At this point I just want to RMA and stop all the guess work. I'll probably do so within the week.

This is all very tiresome. I greatly appreciate all of the help the forums have given me over the past couple of weeks.

How long have you had the unit?

Normally it's easier to have Xotic replace your unit.

Did you get any 'mods' by Xotic?

AlanMcKinnon
09-14-2012, 07:22 PM
Will the RMA still go through ASUS even though I've had Xotic make a few modifications (extra RAM, glossy screen, Blu-ray drive)?

AlanMcKinnon
09-14-2012, 07:23 PM
How long have you had the unit?

Normally it's easier to have Xotic replace your unit.

Did you get any 'mods' by Xotic?

See above. Yes, I had Xotic add an extra 4GB RAM (up to 16GB total), swap the normal DVD drive to a 6x Blu-ray, and change the screen from the standard matte finish to glossy one.

Shawnnepc
09-14-2012, 07:27 PM
See above. Yes, I had Xotic add an extra 4GB RAM (up to 16GB total), swap the normal DVD drive to a 6x Blu-ray, and change the screen from the standard matte finish to glossy one.

Generally it will have to go though Xotic.

I asked my rep awhile back about offering similar mods(screen replacements, backlight mods). She told me that those mods void the warranty. Companies like Xotic rely on their own stock and supplies in order to cover your warranties. Unless Xotic has some special agreement with ASUS (I have no idea) then they'll have to handle it.

It's kind of shady if you ask me.

AlanMcKinnon
09-14-2012, 07:29 PM
Well, if Xotic is willing to repair/replace, then it's okay with me. Although so far I'm not impressed with their knowledge of the machine.

Shawnnepc
09-14-2012, 07:32 PM
They mostly push MSI / Clevo(Sager) so this doesn't surprise me one bit