PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of extra ram for G75VW

omamder5
09-15-2012, 06:43 PM
This seems like a cool forum, more than most. Hope it receives me as friendly-like as I hope it will.

Now, I know this question has been asked before, but I was thinking about a quick upgrade to my G75VW, just some extra ram. Now, the reason I am asking this instead of "just googling it" is because I want to be exactly sure of what I may need to buy.

The specific model I own came from Staples, with the code G75VW-SS71-CBIL. Here is the product page:

http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_sku.asp?CatIds=67%2C68,3194&webid=726141&affixedcode=WW

It has 8 gigabytes of RAM, but I am unsure of the configuration, and I want to be absolutely certain of what I need before I try to upgrade to 16 GB. So, here's the question: am I correct in saying that the laptop has four slots for RAM, two hidden and two exposed, and that mine has used the two hidden ones for two 4 Gig sticks, leaving two empty slots for upgrades?

If this is correct, then I simply need to purchase two more 4 GB 1600 mHz DDR3 204-pin sticks, for 8 GB in total and simply slot them in? Or am I missing something here? I can provide a photo of the opened case if anyone wants one.

Thanks.

kkn
09-15-2012, 06:46 PM
try in the notebook section, you wil get the help you need there :)

omamder5
09-15-2012, 06:48 PM
Sorry, can this be moved, or should I repost it?

EDIT: Moved and merged. --Zygo

omamder5
09-15-2012, 07:04 PM
This seems like a cool forum, more than most. Hope it receives me as friendly-like as I hope it will.

Now, I know this question has been asked before, but I was thinking about a quick upgrade to my G75VW, just some extra ram. Now, the reason I am asking this instead of "just googling it" is because I want to be exactly sure of what I may need to buy.

The specific model I own came from Staples, with the code G75VW-SS71-CBIL. Here is the product page:

http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/ca...affixedcode=WW

It has 8 gigabytes of RAM, but I am unsure of the configuration, and I want to be absolutely certain of what I need before I try to upgrade to 16 GB. So, here's the question: am I correct in saying that the laptop has four slots for RAM, two hidden and two exposed, and that mine has used the two hidden ones for two 4 Gig sticks, leaving two empty slots for upgrades?

If this is correct, then I simply need to purchase two more 4 GB 1600 mHz DDR3 204-pin sticks, for 8 GB in total and simply slot them in? Or am I missing something here? I can provide a photo of the opened case if anyone wants one.

Thanks.

Edit: I reposted this in this section after first having slapped it into the Build Advice section. Hope that's okay.

Hi2uHorde
09-15-2012, 07:28 PM
That link doesn't work and if you take off the bottom plate you should be able to see that the two spots are unused.

rewben
09-15-2012, 07:40 PM
hi omamder5,

correct.

you need to find ram that matches your stock ram. yes, you will need two sticks of 4gb 1600mhz ddr3 so-dimm. however, you also need to find out the CL of the stock ram (for most of us, our stock ram is of CL11, i.e. 11-11-11-28). it's better for you to determine that using hwinfo64.

Zygomorphic
09-15-2012, 07:52 PM
Moved the other - will merge the threads. No worries...mistakes are made by all of us.

omamder5
09-15-2012, 09:35 PM
That link doesn't work.

Weird, it works for me...

Moved the other - will merge the threads. No worries...mistakes are made by all of us.

Thanks a lot, mate.

however, you also need to find out the CL of the stock ram (for most of us, our stock ram is of CL11, i.e. 11-11-11-28). it's better for you to determine that using hwinfo64.

Just ran hwinfo, and I think you're correct. Type is listed as PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM SO-DIMM, and under timing, 11-11-11-28 is shown. So are there any recommendations for what manufacturer to use? Also, what would happen if I installed an otherwise identical stick with different 'timing,' such as 9-9-9-24?

Zygomorphic
09-15-2012, 11:49 PM
Thanks a lot, mate.

Just ran hwinfo, and I think you're correct. Type is listed as PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM SO-DIMM, and under timing, 11-11-11-28 is shown. So are there any recommendations for what manufacturer to use? Also, what would happen if I installed an otherwise identical stick with different 'timing,' such as 9-9-9-24?

Glad to help! :)

Tighter timings will simply loosen up to the loosest settings. Unless you replace all the RAM, don't bother buying low latency RAM.

omamder5
09-16-2012, 12:07 AM
Unless you replace all the RAM, don't bother buying low latency RAM.

"Lower latency" here meaning faster, correct? I'm a little lost with all these technical designations. The only problem with buying 11-11-11-28 RAM is I can't seem to find any that are of a reputable company, I'm only finding something like "Mushkin" online. However, I found a pair of Corsair Vengeance 4 GB sticks for just 55 bucks on Amazon, with timing of 9-9-9-24. Why not just buy those?

Zygomorphic
09-16-2012, 12:14 AM
Faster, yes, but only with all RAM being "faster". Otherwise it isn't. Why I said to buy the "slower" RAM: just cost reasons - but if they are close in price, get the high quality stuff from a reliability/returnability standpoint.

omamder5
09-16-2012, 12:20 AM
Faster, yes, but only with all RAM being "faster". Otherwise it isn't. Why I said to buy the "slower" RAM: just cost reasons - but if they are close in price, get the high quality stuff from a reliability/returnability standpoint.

Okay, well thank you for all the advice. However, seeing as I live in Canada, Amazon is giving me the ridiculous "we cannot ship this item to your address" guff, so I guess local store shopping I go...

Incidentally, are there any resources you would recommend to read up on laptop components in general, RAM in specific? Other than Wiki, Google, etc.

Zygomorphic
09-16-2012, 12:23 AM
Wikipedia is a good resource. The tech articles on there are good quality and factually correct. Google is your best friend though! :)

omamder5
09-16-2012, 12:32 AM
Haha, well I suppose I can't prove you wrong.

Unfortunately, a few more roadblocks have come up. I'm having trouble finding a suitable product, seeing as I can't find a 1600 mHz model. Will it not work if I get a model of different mHz? I'm guessing that's probably fairly important. Or maybe a better website to shop for this on...

ZeroBarrier
09-16-2012, 12:38 AM
I'm only finding something like "Mushkin" online.

Mushkin is a very reputable brand.

rewben
09-16-2012, 03:19 AM
However, I found a pair of Corsair Vengeance 4 GB sticks for just 55 bucks on Amazon, with timing of 9-9-9-24. Why not just buy those?
the mismatch of CL like corsair vengeance's CL9 vs. stock's CL11 will down-clock your ram to 1333mhz, instead of maintaining the current 1600mhz (although it should work fine, and there should be no apparent performance issues. i used corsair vengeance 2 x 4gb before)

for new purchases, my suggestion is always finding the matched ram, because that is the only way to ensure all ram work at 1600mhz without voiding warranty. (i brought along my laptop to the shop, requested them to plug in the new ram, and i ran hwinfo64 to make sure it was what i wanted hehe; had too many times of 'wrong' purchases, i.e. not buying something that i wanted)

i find an article here (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?20476-read-this-about-memory-...-a-primer-...-before-asking-the-same-question) very useful about ram, thanks to the OP.

bignazpwns
09-16-2012, 07:12 AM
You can mis match ram and make it run at 1600mhz pretty easy. I tested this with the stock ram, a samsung ddr3 1600 and a pny ddr3 1333.

dl and install intel xtreme tuning utility. Go to memory and set your timings to the lowest sticks timings then you just change your memory multiplyer. Very easy i got mixed ram running at 1600mhz with one of the sticks being a cheap pny 1333. i even got them running at tighter timings then stock . But this is somthing you do not want to mess with if you dont know what your doing. Set it to your memory with the highest timeings if you go lower then what the ram can do its not fun. "Does not brick your system but you will spend a few hours fixing it."

Lower timings is what you want. memory speed means nothing outside benchmarks and when using a igp or a apu. every day use you will never see a diff. between ddr3 1333 and ddr3 1600. People will say they gain 600 points in 3dmark 11 and the system is way faster but 3dmark 11 scores fluctuate and they are trying to find a big increase and people like to let their mind wounder like in this video http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Jimmy-Kimmel-Apple-iPhone-5-video-youtube,17597.html

Zygomorphic
09-16-2012, 10:27 AM
@bignazpwns, while that may be possible on a desktop, I doubt it on the laptop (no XMP profile on the G-series) and it is simply asking for trouble. You are correct that 1333/1600 MHz is really unimportant, but trying to OC the RAM to get it back and lower timings is not worthwhile on a laptop.

kkn
09-16-2012, 10:39 AM
difrent timings and mhz of the rams, it will always downclock it self to the lowest and slowest ram thats instaled in a pc/laptop, so if you have 1333mhz instaled it will downclock a 1600 to 1333.
the problem comes up when you will try and change the timings to get faster mhz on the ram, thas when things starts to get buggy.
if you can try and get a set of similar and or a set of new chipps if it can get instaled whit out the guarantee gets voided, would be the best thing to do ( my honnest opinnion ).

Zygomorphic
09-16-2012, 11:28 AM
+1 rep @kkn! That is exactly what I figured would happen!

kraas
09-17-2012, 01:29 PM
Does anyone have any links to the correct RAM for the G75VW? The actual Asus web page for this laptop says "DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM, 4 x SO-DIMM", though I am having a hard time finding sites with all of that in the product description.

I bought this module (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820239313&Tpk=KVR16S11S8) recently but apparently it's not the right kind as my laptop either doesn't recognize it or (when using the lower RAM slot) will not boot.

crucial.com recommends this one (http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=75DA28F2A5CA7304), should that work with my G75VW? TIA.

rewben
09-17-2012, 02:13 PM
@kraas, please read here (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?20084-Adding-RAM-to-G75VW-BBK5&p=139576&viewfull=1#post139576). the working one is KVR16S11/4 (apparently not your KVR16S11S8/4)

for the one at crucial.com, i am not sure. there was a guy asking about 2x8gb (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?20084-Adding-RAM-to-G75VW-BBK5&p=144440&viewfull=1#post144440) but i am not sure if they run well.

kraas
09-17-2012, 02:21 PM
Thanks, rewben!

Clintlgm
09-17-2012, 02:21 PM
In my Signature, I have listed the exact Ram that is in my G75, http://www.hwinfo.com/download64.html, will show you exactly what is in your computer. You should try to match what you have in your computer.

rewben
09-17-2012, 02:50 PM
@kraas, yes, like Clintlgm said, please double check your stock ram with hwinfo64 first.

kraas
09-20-2012, 06:21 PM
According to hwinfo (thanks for that link btw), the current RAM I have is Elpida EBJ40UG8BBU0-GN-F. It's saying the clock speed is 800MHz, which is not what is advertised on the Asus website, which says 1600MHz. Am I misunderstanding this? Not that I'm complaining...I have had no problems with this laptop, everything I have run on it so far runs very smoothly.

The only place I can find this model of RAM for sale is asking $80+. Um, no, I'll just deal with what I have, thanks :D

ZeroBarrier
09-20-2012, 07:08 PM
According to hwinfo (thanks for that link btw), the current RAM I have is Elpida EBJ40UG8BBU0-GN-F. It's saying the clock speed is 800MHz, which is not what is advertised on the Asus website, which says 1600MHz. Am I misunderstanding this?

DDR (Double Data Rate), so 800 x 2 = 1600

kraas
09-20-2012, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the clarification.

Clintlgm
09-20-2012, 09:53 PM
Well now you know what your ram specs are. From what i have read here on forum, you only need to match the specs, for me I'm glad my came with 16 GB installed as I couldn't find anyone selling my brand name.

Zygomorphic
09-21-2012, 01:18 AM
Well now you know what your ram specs are. From what i have read here on forum, you only need to match the specs, for me I'm glad my came with 16 GB installed as I couldn't find anyone selling my brand name.

No need to match brand-name. Specs are more important. RAM is standardized for a reason.

GottiBoi55
09-21-2012, 01:43 AM
Download "CPU-Z" and run, and install. http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/1.61-rog-setup-en.exe

In the memory tab it will tell you the correct CL, in my case CL-11, with timing of 11-11-11-28
you can see in my signature I have 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
you need to match memory speed, and Cl to get the best performance out of your memory.
my WEI under memory is maxed out @ 7.9.....woot ....woot!
so download CPU-Z to verify your memory.
Plus this is a great little benchmarking tool.

Good luck, and enjoy!

Zygomorphic
09-21-2012, 01:51 AM
Gloater. Congratulations though! Try Win 8 and see if you peg 9.9...

GottiBoi55
09-21-2012, 02:21 AM
LOL......yeah you right about that.
I'm kind on wondering what the Windows 8 WEI will yeild with the G75VW.
BTW I registered for the Windows 8 PRO upgrade for 14.95 US......Woot ....Woot!
I guess I will dual boot Windows 7, and Windows 8.